Sign in to follow this  
rusty1946

No Import Button

I have just bought the GTN 750 for xplane 11 two days ago 15th Aug 2018.  Like others I get no Import button on the menu.

This problem was around in march, surely there must be a solution found by now?  The default folders are correct with permissions

are there any solutions in sight

Did you find the thread linked below from several months ago?  It is obvious from the results in that thread that flight plans can be imported.  That user defined a custom path for at least part of his installation.  The critical issue is finding the correct path. The RXP manual points to the correct path unless a different path is defined for either the gauge or separately the path for the trainer that is other than the standard path.

The files must also have the right file extension of .gfp.  Where are the files created that you are attempting to import?

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/534760-flight-plan-import/

Edited by fppilot
  • Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Hi Frank

I have the files stored in " C\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\GTN\FPLN"  I have created a Flight Plan in Little Nav Map and exported it to Garmin GTN and when

I look in FPLN files my plan is there along with KSLE-KSLE.gfp and the waypoint ext.

My installation is using the default installation path

Problem Solved.

I uninstalled everything to do with Garmin & Reality XP, downloaded software again turning off Anti Virus and windows defender.

Installed using the default settings in the installers, now works perfectly.

Thanks Frank for replying, this may have been due to a bad install maybe something got corrupted during the initial install

• Upvote 1

Hi Rusty. Happy you got it solved.  I have a good number of routes saved as .gfp files.  It provides an archive in case some future glitch robs me of what I have saved in the gauge(s).  It also provides a method for getting the same routes into both GTN(1) and GTN(2) since the Garmin GTN Trainer design does not seem to allow RXP a method to provide crossfill into the it's GTN series. 

Since you are interested in the flight plan catalog import feature here are some lessons I have learned.

Avoid including Departures, Arrivals, etc into the .gfp plans you save for import. Example: Indianapolis (KIND) JAKKS2 arrival will soon cycle to JAKKS3, and then later to JAKKS4.  If you update the GTN database at some point, such as if a new Garmin trainer becomes available, the .gfp file saved with JAKKS2 will no longer import.  It will return an error.  I find it best to wait until after importing to insert transitions and approaches into a flight plan. That and the fact that you will likely not always use the same transition and/or approach each time you fly the route.

Also, recognize that occasionally you will find a flight plan you saved and then imported will have some wayponts "locked" in the GTN until you manually edit them, usually by deleting them and manually entering them back in. This is a nature of the Garmin GTN, and GNS for that matter. It most often occurs when an intersection has a duplicate in the database.  For instance, on V221 west of Bloomington, Indiana, there is an intersection named BUNKA. There is also an intersection named BUNKA over the country of Ivory Coast in Africa. The respective Garmin GPS series and models do not attempt to read your mind on which it should use, so it requires that you tell it.  When I discover these duplicates I find a way to strip them from the .gfp file so they are not later a nemesis.

Edited by fppilot
  • Upvote 2

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Hi Frank

Just noticed that, I created a flight plan from my home airport in Scotland EGPK to Aberdeen EGPD and found a waypoint locked, I did as you said just deleted it and all was fine

• Like 1