Sign in to follow this  
Guest wayupthere

Poor Frame Rates

Guest jeffg

I have had no problems with FS9 till this past week I have a P4 3.2 with 1 gig of ram ,ATI X800 series video card with 256 ram on board.I have a CL SBLive audio card and now I am getting frame rates of 3-4 sec where I was getting 25-30 fps.I have not been using FS9 for awhile as I am working on my instrument rating and have not had much time.I ran my spyware and virus software and found nothing.I than uninstalled the spyware and virus software to see if they were causing a problem,no they were not.I defraged the HD and uninstalled anything I was not using and deleted the FS9 config file so it would rebuild one and still getting 3-4 fps.I have all the settings in display at normal and that still does nothing.I am getting the same frame rates with the default cessna or my LevelD 767 or Piper Meridian no difference.I was hoping someone else had any ideas before I uninstall everything? JeffG

Guest Yak Yak

did you install any new sceneries? They may contain high res textures which may slow your pc down (converting them to dxt3 will help greatly).or you might be running a new process in the background..such as anti-virus, or a defrag monitor..for example, if you use OO defrag, it leaves a small process running in the backgound, even when it's not in use. This process will cause big hiccups and stutters to FS9. Stop it and FS9 will run smooth as butter..since you are getting the same result w/ default and pmdg planes, then it's probably not caused by 32-bit textures. -fz

For what it's worth:Last week one of my PC's was extremely slow (not FS PC) for a very, very long period.It turned out to be the Windows indexing service using 99% CPU time.Disabling on each disk the 'Allowing Indexing Service to index this disk' checkbox solved this problem.

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

Guest Dominique

Open the task manager and look at your CPU use when your plane is on ground at idle. Is it dowwn to a few percents or high on the scale ? If so, another process eats up your cycles. It maybe a control (joystcik, pedals) running amok. I've that from time to time, obviously having a problem with the USB bus...

>Disabling on each disk the 'Allowing Indexing Service to index>this disk' checkbox solved this problem.>I have this service enabled and have no performence problem.

Guest wayupthere

>I have this service enabled and have no performence problem.Just turn it off anyway,(unless you search for things on your comp all the time) doesnt do much good and slows overall performance, even if you dont notice it does. :)

Guest jeffg

Thanks for the answers but I went ahead and uninstalled FS9 and now I reinstalling everything.Hope this works Jeff

Next time try deleting the FS9 config file instead of a complete reinstall, and see if that helps. When I make lots of changes, sometimes things slow down a bit. It helps to have a clean slate, and usually, this gets my FPS back up to speed.:-)

Guest jeffg

I did that already and it did no good still had 3-4 fps. Jeff

Guest DWillens

<>PMJI, I was just curious:If you have FS9 re-build its .cfg file, is there anything that will need to be re-set by the user after FS9 is re-started, in order to get it back to the point it was before?Damon

Guest wayupthere

Damon,whatever was altered by you, like for instance PANRATE, OLDMODULES etc.. those settings you have to change yourself, because after the rebuild its the default fs settings. Also you have to redo your keymapping for joystick/keyboard in fs itself.