Sign in to follow this  
jagabom

Increasing FPS at your Local Airport - an Idea...

HiI think we all know that the greater the AI% setting, the greater the fps hit !!!Whilst parked up at London Stansted and playing around with filemon, one thing that struck me was the number of flightplan .bgl files that were being accessed for airlines that never actually flew into Stansted (being close to London Heathrow, there were an awful lot of them) - other than hearing their callsigns over ATC, why would I want them in FS eating up fps ???So I had a thought (now, at this point, I must state that if anyone has mentioned this idea before then i apologise in advance) what if the only flightplans FS accesses, were those that only contained lights that were either flying in or out of Stansted. No where else.This is actually fairly easy to achieve - i would set those individual flights that contain Stansted's airport code of EGSS, to an AI% of 1%.Every other flight in every other flightplan, would be set to a minimum of 2%.Within FS, set the AI% to 1%. Stansted still contains the same, full complement of AI but every other flightplan around it has been disisabled. Result, an appox 30% fps increase. After departure, (when reduced fps don't generally impact performance) set the AI back to 100% to regain all other flights.Obviously, this only works for one airport, hence, I only used it at Stansted as this is my "home" airport.Together with an ex-work colleague of mine, we created a small VB.net application that would modify all of the flightplan.txt files. However, i don't want to upload it yet because i don't want to make fps claims on an idividual case. Hence, i wanted to run it passed you guys to see what your reaction was.Any thoughts ???Gary

The London area is one of the very worst in the world for AI aircraft because of the close proximity of airports. 550+ AI aircraft active is not unusual in that area.The biggest FPS hit is those which doen't have sufficient parking.However, if you want to eliminate all the traffic except your airport - your plan sounds very solid and should work just fine - provided the app can access all the flightplan files.The one suggestion I would have for usage is to not reset the AI percentage until you are at least 100nm from EGLL - that could cause a lengthy delay while all the additional AI is loaded.

Guest Tingoose

Sounds like an idea worth pursuing. Peter Dowson might be someone who could think through that one.As Reggie Fields points out, an approach into a London airport is a recipe for despair if like me you have a full complement of AI, Gary Summons payware airports and all your sliders up as far as you dare. A large number of major airports in a small space and a built up area (autogen),taxes the system. Approaching Gatwick yesterday, on 23L especially to watch Gary Summons road and rail traffic pass underneath the approach path had me throw my hands up in horror as the whole thing turnedinto an ugly slideshow. I reset and hurried up to the north of Scotland where things are a little less hectic.

>Sounds like an idea worth pursuing. Peter Dowson might be>someone who could think through that one.>Not too sure if i made myself clear initially, but i have already got this system in operation and the results are very good.Parked on the ground at Gary Summon's Stansted with 2% or above AI, i see frames lower than 10fps. Reduce the AI to 1% (importantly, no reduction in AI at Stansted) fps immediately jump up to > 15-16fps.Gary

Guest Tingoose

Hi GaryYes, you did make yourself clear. The fault was with me for not reading your post properly ;). That's a good idea and something that had never occurred to me, but I'm gonna try it out. I was thinking that it would be good if, which ever airport you chose to fly into or from, FS would automatically change the AI% in favour of flights into and from that that airport. In other words, do what you've done automatically each time. However, thinking about it, that would take a program ages each time you fired up FS.

If this works it shoule be pinned in the Tips & Tricks section.Good idea.JimCYWG

Gary, you ever upload that file? I would like to try it.thanks. JimIf not can I get a copy of it. jagabom at shaw.caRemove the spaces and change the at to @.

Guest andedrunkard

>Hi Gary>>Yes, you did make yourself clear. The fault was with me for>not reading your post properly ;). That's a good idea and>something that had never occurred to me, but I'm gonna try it>out. I was thinking that it would be good if, which ever>airport you chose to fly into or from, FS would automatically>change the AI% in favour of flights into and from that that>airport. In other words, do what you've done automatically>each time. However, thinking about it, that would take a>program ages each time you fired up FS. To have a program to do this automatically would be brilliant, would it be possible though?

Sounds very interesting, bumping. :-)