Sign in to follow this  
floydcox

Flight Plan

I get a constant "flight plan import failed" regardless of which program to send plan I use. I have tried Pilot2Atc and Littlenavmap but get the same message. Any ideas?

Hi Floydcox,

I'm afraid we can only speculate unless you provide more information. I'd guess the message gives a hint: the file most likely gets wrongly formatted.

Otherwise, something in your system permits 'listing' the flight plan files (I supposed you get a list to choose from) but prevents 'reading' the flight plan files content.

In this case, the culprit would be the Windows files access rights not allowing your user account to do so?

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

I use the file format from Pilot2ATC and also from Littlenavmap which should provide a plan that can be read. I have checked my windows access rights and all is good, however still no routes can be loaded. A while back (6 months or more) I could import a plan from Littlenavmap and remove the waypoints the GTN didn't like but now nothing will import although all flight plans saved in the FPLN folder show up under import. Anything else I can look at?

The flight plan files are pretty simple one-line text files.  Would you open three or four of them and copy and paste the contents in a message here and I will take a look at them.  The most common cause for a locked waypoint in my experience is a waypoint with a name that is duplicated in the database Garmin uses.  Say one in Indiana, USA, and a waypoint with the same name in say Ivory Coast in Africa.  The Garmin Trainer (and also real life gauge) will not attempt to differentiate which you intend to use.

Post and I will look at them.

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Hi, please find attached some files.

FPN/RI:F:RJBB:F:N34276E135152:F:HELEN,N34348E135069:F:MAIKO,N34367E134598:F:HABAR,N34192E133353:F:DGC,N33406E130234:F:OHGIE,N33199E130107:F:PADDY,N33131E130103:F:FU32A,N33029E130096:F:TAKAK,N32542E130091:F:OBAMA,N32481E130087:F:FU32B,N32463E130063:F:TENBO,N33025E129468:F:OMRAN,N32592E129504:F:RJFU

FPN/RI:DA:KRNO:D:VISTA2.FMG:R:RW25:AA:KSFO:A:MOD8.FMG(RW19L):AP:I19L

FPN/RI:DA:KJFK:D:DEEZZ4.TOWIN:R:RW04L:AA:KLAX:A:BASET4.BASET(RW07L):AP:I07L

Many Thanks

Richard

Are you modifying those files by hand? 

The first of the three is just so long and complex.  Difficult to troubleshoot. The issues with the 2nd and 3rd plans are somewhere in the Departures or/and Arrivals.  I stripped those out and the plans loaded fine.  Ex:

FPN/RI:DA:KJFK:AA:KLAX:AP:I07L 

The required context and punctuation can be difficult at times.  Also, the published Departures and Arrivals sequence at intervals.  So BASET4 may now be BASET5 and if the procedure name in the flight plan text for import does not match what is in your Garmin Trainer database it causes a problem.  These are idiosyncrasies of the Garmin itself, not of Reality XP's gauge.  The core it uses is the Garmin Trainer.

Honestly, I have found importing plans with Arrivals and Departures to be more trouble than it is worth.  If you put in the key elements of a plan, the Departure and Arrival airports and the intended enroute, the Departure and Arrival procedures are quick and easy to grab in the GTN once the simpler text is imported.  

Another food for thought.  Since the Departures and Arrivals sequence at intervals, if you build a library of .gfp files to import, the sequencing of procedures would cause future problems on import.  

Also try reading the last post in the following thread:
https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/540006-imported-flight-plan-from-pilot2atc-always-fails/

Here is a link to a Garmin publication detailing the .gfp file specifications for the GTN.  It provides some interesting reading:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjuy5_inqLdAhWthOAKHdJLCJ8QFjAAegQIABAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.jetcareers.com%2Fattachments%2Fgtn-flight-plan-and-user-waypoint-transfer-pdf.34218%2F&usg=AOvVaw0vg1q3e843BPbZnTbswmy4

Edited by fppilot
  • Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

2 hours ago, fppilot said:

Here is a link to a Garmin publication detailing the .gfp file specifications for the GTN.  It provides some interesting reading:

Just a quick note: this document is already included in the flightplans.zip sample pack installed with the RXP GTN!

Edited by RXP

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Hi, the first flight plan was generated by simbrief. I will modify a couple of other plans as you suggest, also will plan within Littlenavmap rather than importing from other programmes. I occasionally use PFPX so will try that as well.