Sign in to follow this  
BlueSwurl

PMDG 737 NGX increasing in fuel in left tank?

So I've recently started noticing fuel increases happening in my #1 wing tank during flight, this causes imbalances and i have to try balance them again every flight. I have discovered, however, that when i use the preset fuel inputs such as 2/3 it doesn't happen. This is quite a head scratcher for me as this only happens when i input specific units manually such as 1.4 reserves in my wing tanks. The left wing tank will go up eventually to almost 2000 kg if i don't stop it.

Any help?

Note:

not loading any panel states

Thanks,

Chris.

Christopher Bourke

Still rocking P3DV4.5 | I7-9700KF @ 3.6GHz, RTX 2060 6GB, 16GB Vengeance LPX 2666 MHz RAM

Hi Chris... please note PMDG forum rules require our full names on all posts in their forums.

Your wording "when I input specific units manually such as 1.4 reserves in wing tanks," bothers me.  I cannot tell from this problem description how you are manually loading fuel but it sounds like you are filling the center tank before wing tanks are full.  Wing tanks fill first, only when wing tanks are full do you add fuel to the center tanks.

Dan Downs KCRP

Yeah, i am filling the center tanks first. I'll give that a whirl.

Christopher Bourke

Still rocking P3DV4.5 | I7-9700KF @ 3.6GHz, RTX 2060 6GB, 16GB Vengeance LPX 2666 MHz RAM

1 hour ago, BlueSwurl said:

Yeah, i am filling the center tanks first. I'll give that a whirl.

Make sure you are only using the FUEL menu under FS ACTIONS > FUEL on the CDU MENU page.

Kyle Rodgers

This is correctly modelled behavior in an incorrectly-operated system.  What you are seeing is the center tank scavenge pumps moving fuel to the #1 tank, as they are designed to do with any fuel in the center tank, the #1 tank below half full and the #1 fwd pump turned on.  Once the scavenge pumps are activated, they remain on for the remainder of the flight.  The scavenge pumps move fuel at a rate of 220-500 lbs/hr, usually closer to 500 than 220.

So if the system is operated correctly--wing tanks filled first before loading center tank fuel, and center tank burned first before burning wing tank fuel, then the scavenge pumps will activate after the center is empty and the wings are at half full, and then it will only move the small amount of residual fuel in the center tank to the left tank without much of an effect on fuel balance.

Regards

• Like 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

59 minutes ago, w6kd said:

This is correctly modelled behavior in an incorrectly-operated system.  What you are seeing is the center tank scavenge pumps moving fuel to the #1 tank, as they are designed to do with any fuel in the center tank, the #1 tank below half full and the #1 fwd pump turned on.  Once the scavenge pumps are activated, they remain on for the remainder of the flight.  The scavenge pumps move fuel at a rate of 220-500 lbs/hr, usually closer to 500 than 220.

So if the system is operated correctly--wing tanks filled first before loading center tank fuel, and center tank burned first before burning wing tank fuel, then the scavenge pumps will activate after the center is empty and the wings are at half full, and then it will only move the small amount of residual fuel in the center tank to the left tank without much of an effect on fuel balance.

Regards

As my 737 already loads in with fuel i wasn't sure if it would still occour even if i had loaded the wing tanks first, put fuel in wing tanks first (with fuel already being in somehow) and its still happening. Anything i did wrong? Here's what i did in order:

-loaded in

-connected jetway, set up passengers, payload, GSX and all that jiffjaff

-went to fuel page, my friend told me i can just put my total fuel into the 'TOTAL KGS' box so i calculated total fuel (rounded from 8827 to 8800) so i put that in

-units went all wrong and proceeded to put the wing tank fuels in first, then the center tanks

-fly out and issue still occours 

Christopher Bourke

11 minutes ago, BlueSwurl said:

connected jetway, set up passengers, payload, GSX and all that jiffjaff

What is contained in "jiffjaff"? FS Passengers? Any other add-ons?

11 minutes ago, BlueSwurl said:

-went to fuel page, my friend told me i can just put my total fuel into the 'TOTAL KGS' box so i calculated total fuel (rounded from 8827 to 8800) so i put that in

Don't need to round on the fuel page. Just enter the number.

You're referring to the fuel page of the CDU, correct?

12 minutes ago, BlueSwurl said:

-units went all wrong and proceeded to put the wing tank fuels in first, then the center tanks

"Units went all wrong..."

What do you mean by this?

Full names - first and last - in the forum, please.

• Like 1

Kyle Rodgers

14 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

1.JiffJaff as in programming the route and getting the APU set up, as well as preparing for push back later on.

2. Oh, didn't know that. Thanks!

3. Yes, the CDU fuel page.

4. The CTR fuel tank had 920 KGS but the wing tanks both had 1300

Unless i have to start from a panel state, or just be careful to insert the wing tanks first i'm not really sure why this annoying thing keeps happening >:c

Christopher Bourke

Just enter the total fuel you desire, the simulation will correctly fill the tanks.  Each wing holds about 3900 kg so unless your total is greater than 7800 kg you should not have any fuel in the center tank.  If the wing tanks have 1300 kg each your center should be empty.

I am getting the feeling that this discussion is not addressing the problem.  Have you flown the Tutorals yet?

Dan Downs KCRP

21 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

When scandinavian13 said "Don't need to round on the fuel page. Just enter the number." I tried that, it turns out that, indeed, it had worked as it should. Although my CTR fuel tanks were low, i still had fuel in my wing tanks and i made it from ENBR - EKVG with fuel to spare. Thanks for the support guys, will make sure to either fill tanks first or enter total fuel.

Christopher Bourke