Sign in to follow this  
grazziy

Auto Pilot '737 Pilot in Command'

Guest Pinkgin

Hello!I wonder if anyone can please help me with this problem?I have just got this add on and can't seem to be able to engage the autopilot after take off! It's just driving me nuts I think I have followed all the instructions but it will not work!! What am I doing wrong?Many Thanks.

Hard to tell you what you're doing wrong unless you tell us what you're doing. That being said, do you have the electrical and hydraulic systems properly set up? Do you have the latest version of FSUIPC installed?Cheers,JohnBoeing 727/737 & Lockheed C-130/L-100 Mechanichttp://www.sstsim.com/images/team/JR.jpg

Guest Pinkgin

Many thanks for your quick reply!I'm sorry I'm very new to this game. I have loaded all my flight information into the CDU and also set the flaps to 5. The flight director is on as is the Auto throttle and altitude setting and when I take off holding at 12.5 degs and then try to set the auto pilot I get CMD CWS-P CWS-R In the top right hand corner of the EHSI. I can never get just the CMD on its own!! What am I doing wrong. I have taken off about 20 times and still cant seem to get it right. The plane wants to dive all the time.Cheers Phil.

As already said, and if your starting 'engines running' you do need to check that your main generators, hydraulics and yaw damper is engaged and switched on for the A/P to work.The best way is to start your flight 'cold and dark', that way you know it's going to work.

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest Pinkgin

Dave T,Many thanks for your reply I'm going to try from 'Dark and Cold' as you have advised! I shall let you know what happens.Wow, what a fantastic site this is so many friendly people!Phil

Guest Pinkgin

No I still can't seem to get the A/pilot to work i'ts driving me NUTS!! I get cws-p& cws-r all the time and the plane takes a dive!!(I have the main gen, hydraulics and yaw damper engaged! Im not sure how to go back to 'cold and dark'when I try there still are lights on how do you do this please. Have you any idea where I can can I get a complete guide on how to shut down and then start up. I would love so much to get this working! Anyone that can help it's a beer on me honest!Thanks againPhil

Guest Pinkgin

Any time above 1000ft.Phil

Guest Pinkgin

Hello again!I have tried re-loading 737 Pilot in Command to see if this will do it but NO I'm still unable to solve this problem just can't get the autopilot to engage! As I climb to above 1000 ft and try to set it I still get CMD CWS-P and CWS-R lights on! However when I reach my cruising hight only the CWS-R light turns on and the plane wants to dive big time!. I can never get just the CMD on its own what on earth am I doing wrong please someone out there must know what thick thing I'm doing to make this autpilot not engage?? It takes all the fun out of this brilliant add on.Many thanksPhil

Perhaps if you could give us a screenshot of your instruments just before you try to switch on A/P we could all take a look at your set up? Just a thought!Tim

Okay Phil,Lets take it step-by-step?Before take-off, you need to make sure that everything is as it should be.1. Set your altitude and switch on your Autothrust.2. Set your vertical speed to around 1800 ft. per minute and your IAS to 'V2'.3. Set your 'Trim' control to '2-5'.4. If your using a flight plan in the FMC make sure you have all your waypoints running consecutively and there are no 'Disconinuations' in the flight plan.5. Test your elevators, rudders for precision control.6. Set your flaps for '5' or higher, if your using a shorter runway but, not more than '15'.7. Set your brakes to RTO in case of an aborted take-off before 'V1'.8. Go for it now and let us know if that works? If it dosen't you need to check all the things out previously mentioned as something is amiss.To start 'Cold and Dark' you need to 'Create a Flight' with the default Cessna and switch off the engines, the battery but NOT the Avionics switch.Then, change your aircraft to the 733 and 'Save' that situation and name it 'Cold and Dark' or whatever you want.That way you will be able to use that flight in the 'Selected Flight' menu and change to your selected airaft.

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest Pinkgin

Dave it's very kind of you to take the trouble to reply so quickly....thanks!I am unable to set the vertical speed because it appears to be blank!!!Cheers Phil

It will be blank until you set it with the control below it. You have to click on the 'VS' switch. Then roll the adjuster control.

Dave Taylor gb.png

>It will be blank until you set it with the control below it.>You have to click on the 'VS' switch. Then roll the adjuster>control.My mistake, sorry. 'VS' won't operate until the aircraft is off the ground and the autopilot is engaged.

Dave Taylor gb.png

Phil,the CWS is "control wheel steering" -- a somewhat archaic autopilot mode that basically holds the attitude that was commanded when the autopilot was switched on; this attitude can then be modified by inputs on the yoke (or "control wheel"). Don't know though why this is causing the behaviour you observe...Standard procedure is to switch on the flight director _before_ engaging the autopilot. That way, you can set up all of the autopilot modes you desire and verify that the flight director is commanding reasonable control inputs before you connect the autopilot. The rough procedure on the 737 PIC is:- FD on- Speed window: Set V2+10- Heading window: Set runway heading- Autothrottle Arm- Push TOGA (on the 737 PIC this is a small click spot on a screw at the top left of the autopilot)This should give you TOGA modes in roll and pitch and takeoff thrust on the autothrottle.HTHMartin