Sign in to follow this  
grazziy

Auto Pilot '737 Pilot in Command'

Guest Pinkgin

Martin And Dave T,You both have been brilliant and very patient! I will give all your suggestions a go later on this afternoon and let you know what happens!Many thanks againPhil (uk)PS. Have either of you got any sugestions on where to get and what flight manual for the 737. As I'm sure that you have guessed I'm a total beginner with the flight sim 2004. I would just love to be able to fly this beauty!

Yes, quite simple, look in your program files under Wilco and there is your English Manual.I think you have gone in at the deep end though IMO. This one is hardcore.An easier one would have been 'Skydecks' 737NG to start with? Kevin Sparkhul has just updated his superb panel to version three c/w overhead panel etc.http://www.sky-decks.com/sd-html_001.htm

Dave Taylor gb.png

I like this link best - it's really simple if you take the time to read it though it deals only with the flying side.http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?$=main/howto/fly737.htmHow many of the FS2004 default aircraft have you flown before the PIC737 Phil? I only ask because a really good grounding in them helps and if you look through some of the other forums you'll find even seasoned simmers take a while to get to grips with the PIC737.Once you've managed to take off you still have to work out how to land ...:-( Tim

Guest Pinkgin

Hello again Dave,Yes I think that you are quite right I have tried to run before walking! I have just had a look at the sky-decks link looks great....Think I should get to grips with the simple stuff first 737 Pilot in Command just looked so very tempting!!Thankyou so much for your help.Phil

>Hello again Dave,>>Yes I think that you are quite right I have tried to run>before walking! I have just had a look at the sky-decks link>looks great....Think I should get to grips with the simple>stuff first 737 Pilot in Command just looked so very>tempting!!>Thankyou so much for your help.>Phil>Its a pleasure to help Phil.

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest Pinkgin

Hi Tim Thanks so much for the fantastic link! Its just brilliant. I have only flown the 737 on FS2004 and have been able to land and take off fine most of the time however I some times get it wrong after a beer or two though! I must say that I'm totally hooked on FS.hours can pass and you don't even know it.........drives the wife nuts though!!Cheers Phil

Guest Pinkgin

Hey Chaps'Managed at last to get just the CMD on it's own to show!! BUT the plane still either goes into a sharp dive or steep climb.....now I'm really really confused!!Phil

Trim trim trim!

Dave Taylor gb.png

I don't think this is a trim problem. I still think a screenshot would be a good idea, Phil, but failing that give us an example of the trip you are trying to make and the steps you go through right up to v2 because I can't believe it is anything after that that is causing the dive.If that still doesn't work then try the support forum at feelthere.comTim

Phil,what autopilot / autothrottle modes have you got active? You can check this on your Primary Flight Display (above the artificial horizon). For a normal takeoff, you should see something like "THR HLD | TO/GA | HDG SEL | CMD". What target values (speed, heading, altitude) have you got set in your autopilot control panel? Make sure your stick is centered when you engage the autopilot...Martin

And when you program the FMC have you activated all the different modes correctly?Tim

Guest Pinkgin

Hi Guys!Up all night it's now 0410 hrs and can't get it working!I will tell you exactly what I'm doing right from the start to when I try to engage autopilot.1)Aircraft is running when I start. I then set up my flight plan which is EGLL(Heathrow) to EBBR (Brussels)with all the waypoints in between, cruise alt was given as 25500ft. 2)Change my fuel from 100% to 50%3)Change time and weather(real conditions)4)I then load the CDU in this order: int ref key,index key,ident key,pos ident, type in EGLL,enter on dashed line key 2L,then route key type in EGLL, enter on 1 key Left, type in EBBR,enter on 1 key Right, then type in the runway I was set up on which was 27R and enter that on key 3L,5) Now I select button next page, and type in my first route fix which is LAM and select on key 1R, I follow this with all the other waypoints on key 2R 3R.....and so on downwards. GILDA,KOPUL,TEBRA,RAPIX,DIBLI,BULAM,DENUT,NIK,and ending on BUB6)I then press 'Activate' and a green light comes on. I press the button with the green light and it goes off.7)I press key 6R Pref int,and type in (this is where I get confused!!) 052.6 for GR.WT would that be right? then 6% for reserves, 100% cost index then CRZ ALT of 25500. and then press execute green light comes on so I press again and light goes off. 8)Then I select N1 limit key 6R (whatever that is, please tell me?)and hit key 6R again (take off) Flaps are already set for 5 so I leave that and I then set V Speeds V1=118,VR=119, and V2=129.9)I then put down my flaps to 5, and set the EFIS to 'map' and select scale to 4010)Then set up the 'MCP' Flight director switch 'ON', Auto-throttle 'ON', set indicated airspeed to 250kts, and runway heading that I'm on to 275, set alt to, 25500. 11) okay the ask for permission to take off.....it's given so I set thrust to about 94 take off brake and down the runway I go.12) As soon as I take off I take wheel up and then hit the vert speed switch and select 2500+ then hit the L NAV button and I think the speed button shows green too but but I never selected it! I climb at 12.5 degrees perfectly and when the flight command bars are still and I'm passed 1000ft I select Autopilot, the green CMD shows in the top right hand corner of the EADI and then the plane goes crazy either up or down very quickly!! so I turn off autopilot and regain control (about now I'm also taking my flaps up) so I try again and the same happens each time! I have even tried to control the plane with autopilot still on in hope that if a manage to get level it will work but no such luck!...........HELP!!13) I can't think of anything else I do except when passing 10,000ft I increase speed on MCP to 310 and then try autopilot again and again.....on luck still dives or climbs!Again you guys have been brilliant with your help and I thank you for that, please don't give up on me!Kind regards to you all,Phil.PS. I'm sure now that someone will see what I'm doing and if not can someone please set me a very simple flight plan and give me instructions from start to flight end? .....thanks.

I'm gonna try first, but to everyone else who wants to give it a go keep it simple!Phil1. Start at pos ident screen. Type in EGLL2. Go to route screen. Put in EGLL then EBBR as destination. If you've already got the route in FS then import it. You'll get a message when it has been successfully imported; activate it as you have done above.Make sure you entered your cruise altitude.3 Go to Perf. Init. Type in ZFW NOT GW. Your weight looks a bit wrong. Your ZFW should be around the 90.0's and your GW 100.+Leave your reserves at 6, I have my Cost Index at 30. They shouldn't have a great effect on your problem. 4. Leave the N1 screen alone for now. It is for derated take-offs. (Reduced thrust to save engine wear amongst other things). Once you get the thing flying you can play with it to your heart's content. It won't affect your problem.5. Go to Take/off screen. Activate the V-speeds. They should be significantly higher I think. Once you have your G.W. correct you'll see the difference.6. Go to climb page. I click on 'Max angle'. Activate it.7. Go to Cruise page. Activate it as it is. Again once you are o.k with everything you can play around with these.8 Activate the descent page.9. Trundle out to the runway as you have done making sure you are in take-off config with your speed bug set at about V2+20 and your altitude hold at the altitude given by ATC. F/D and A/T on.10. When cleared for T/O. press the TOGA button. It's a little screw type thingy near the speed display. If you can't immediately find it move your cursor over every screw on the instrument display until it changes to a 'Hand' (the cursor that is) and that is it!11. Monitor thrust and DON'T TOUCH THE THROTTLES!12 T/O as normal.13 When ready click on CMD. This should activate all your computer inputs. If I remember rightly you should get lights on LNAV, SPD, and importantly VNAV. If you haven't, click on them, but only AFTER you've clicked on CMD. If you get this far, are still going up and are following the magenta course line, we've 95% cracked it.Not that it's any of my business but unless your wife's working nights or very understanding, best not to stay up 'till 4 in the morning huh? She must be going potty as it is thinking you've spent good money on something that isn't working ...;-) Tim

Guest Pinkgin

Tim,Many many thanks for the time you have put into that reply for me! I shall give that a try later on and let you know how I did.I have to say again what a fantastic site this is. I'm so glad I found it. Think I shall be using it a lot!!CheersPhil.