Sign in to follow this  
grazziy

Auto Pilot '737 Pilot in Command'

Ok, Phil, I would suggest that you order and read the book "Flying the Boeing 700 Series Flight Simulators", available at http://www.utem.comThis is a very complex add-on and it seems you have a lot of reading to do before you're able to comfortably fly this bird. People here are generally very helpful and, as you can see, try to answer every question, but the fact that you don't know how to use the AP, indicates that you have a lot to learn about VNAV, LNAV, ALT HOLD, LVCHG, etc.It would be impossible to elaborate everything in a forum to teach someone how to fly a complex airliner, so I suggest you get this manual and read it. It is a brilliant book with many pictures, step-by-step guides and tutorials that will definitely help you getting started.Good luck and don't give up ;)Pat

Hi Phil,Didn't realise this had been moved. What are you flying this on? Is it a laptop or a PC. Are you using the keyboard for all these commands? I use the mouse for everything apart from TOGA, & A/P and A/T disconnects on landing.The 6,000 thing doesn't really matter. It's just a transition altitude insert. Tim

Guest Pinkgin

Hi Tim,Its a very good PC and I have been using the mouse for most things too except the Z for the A/P.I have just loaded the add-on a second time to see if that helps but NO!Now I think that Pats advice is probably the best thing to do!Many thanks for yours and Martins time and trouble you have been just brilliant.CheersPhil

Phil,> On EADI before engaging A/P there was N1/MCP SPD/HDG SEL/FD> On EADI after engaging A/P there was MCP SPD/ALT HOLD/HDG SEL/CMDStrange that it would make that mode change. Normally, when engaging the autopilot, the only thing that should change is "FD" being replaced with "CMD". All of the modes should stay the same... not sure why this is happening.Can you do as Tim suggested and engage the autopilot by clicking on the "CMD A" button instead of using a key assignment?I've just tried to find the simplest possible takeoff procedure you can do -- no FMC involved. This in the spirit of the KISS principle...Here are the steps:1. You should be at the departure end of the runway, aircraft in the "Running Engines" configuration you can set using the 737 PIC Setup Utility (but I guess that's your configuration anyway).2. On the AP panel, set speed to 150 (should be an OK-ish climbout speed), heading to the runway heading, altitude to 10,000.3. Switch on flight director, arm autothrottle.4. Set flaps 55. Activate TOGA (click on screw on AP panel)6. Rotate, gear up, achieve climb attitude commanded by FD, trim aircraft out.7. Click "FLCH" (flight level change) button on AP panel.8. Verify aircraft is trimmed for FD commanded attitude, then click "CMD A".BTW, what type of joystick are you using?> PS. By the way what are SIDS and STARS ??....Please.Standard Instrument Departures and Standard Arrival Routes. These basically transition you from an airport to an airway and vice versa. You'll probably want to use the autopilot to fly them, though... ;-)Martin

Guest Pinkgin

Thanks again Martin,Just to let you know.....I have just ordered 'The Boeing Glass 737' Procedures Manual by Captain Mike Ray! That's how much I want to crack this problem. $49.95!! Hope that it will be worth every cent!CheersPhil

Guest Pinkgin

Forgot to say that I'm using a 'Sidewinder Precicision 2 Joystick'Phil

Phil, you really won't regret the purchase and I am sure you'll be able to understand the inner workings of the 737 much better (if not professionally), once you read it. Basically the book picks up where the FeelThere's manual ends and it is written in the same comprehensive style.Good luck. Let us know how it went!Pat

Guest Pinkgin

Many thanks Pat....I think it was good advice!Phil

Guest Marcelo

Just to let you guys know, that I have exactly the same problem. Never have been able to engage the A/P. Eagerly following this forum for positive results!Regards,Marcelo Santiago, Chile

In order to use most of the functions of the A/P, you have to first program the FMC. Very simplified: Feed the computer all the information that you can obtain. This includes: IRS alignment, weight/fuel, takeoff configuration, flaps and ultimately the route.If you don't set a route then most of functions of the autopilot will not work.So, let's assume you're taking off and sitting right on the runway, your FMC is fed with all the information and you can verify at the "Legs" page that the FMC computer your top of climb and top of descent.Take off by setting N1 on the thrust lever, when your speed reaches V1 and Vr, rotate by pitching up approxmiately 12.5". Monitor your speed and pitch down if necessary to prevent stalling the plane. Don't even bother at this point to follow a course, just go straight.Raise the gear and pull in the flaps. Around 400 feet above the ground you can engage "LNAV" (which makes your plane follow the horizontal course). Do not engage the autopilot yet. Around 1000 feet above ground, enable "VNAV" (vertical course, makes your plane climb or descent). Now, let's do the magic and enable the autopilot. Voila, the plane will fly on its own.Now should the plane NOT continue to climb or not follow the course (the magenta line in the map), then a) the information in the FMC is incorrect or :( you're too far off course in order to capture the climb or horizontal course.That's the very, very basic functionality in a nutshell. Of course, there are many more used for the A/P, like SPD, LVLCHG, Heading Select, etc., but VNAV and LNAV is certainly where people struggle the most with.Good luck,Pat

Guest Pinkgin

Thanks Pat for your input,I will try doing it your way and see!BUTI have been informed by others that you don't have to program the FMC in order for the A/P to engage! Phil

Guest Pinkgin

Hello Marcelo,Sorry to hear that you are having the same problem!Have you looked at all the posts of this question and also tried all of the advice given?Please let me know if you crack this problem as we may be doing the same thing wrong.regardsPhil

Hi Phil,You don't have to program the FMC, but I think Pat's point is that flying it with the FMC is how it is meant to be flown and is flown in the real world. For example if you program the FMC with all the right input, e.g weights etc. the a/p should fly it no problem. But with no input then it will try to fly it according to its directed (dialled) inputs, but if its too heavy etc. it can't over-ride the laws of physics!Tim

Guest Pinkgin

Brilliant ...Thanks TimGoing to have another crack at it now!....wish me luck!Phil

Phil, Marcelo,another thing... the step of activating VNAV (or FLCH if you're not using the FMC) after takeoff before engaging the autopilot seems to be important... on a quick test flight yesterday where I didn't do that, the autopilot wouldn't engage properly and I ended up in CWS mode.Cheers,Martin