Sign in to follow this  
silentsage

HUD Color

Is there a simple way to change the color of the 737 HUD display from the default green to something else?  Thanks. 

Dave Symanow

No. That's the colour the real HUD comes in whether you like it or not. If you want colour- swing it up and look out the window!

Sorry.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Mark Harris.

Aged 54. 

P3D,  & DCS mostly. DofReality P6 platform partially customised and waiting for parts. Brunner CLS-E Yoke and Pedals. Winwing HOTAS and Cougar MFDS.

Scan 3XS Laptop i9-9900K 3.6ghz, 64GB DDR4, RTX2080.

B737NG Pilot. Ex Q400, BAe146, ATP and Flying Instructor in the dim and distant past! SEP renewed and back at the coal face flying folk on the much deserved holidays!

Wow, I'm really glad we have people like you who take it on themselves to police the forums and offer useless editorial comments.  Trolls like you really add a lot to these forums. Thanks!

Edited by silentsage

Dave Symanow

Well he was probably just making a joke, which as we all know humor comes through in forums/written word in a fashion not always expected.  I've seen it enough to try to be careful about making wise-cracks.  I'm sure he meant the best, but from what I've seen when HUD was new they all seemed to be green.  My 2001 Corvette had a all-green HUD (I went with the 3LT option, decked out), all green.  My 2010 Grand Sport Corvette HUD was also all green, but you could cycle through more "modes" than the 2001.  Then I heard the 2011 model offered color....

So green for now, likely to get the new treatment in the future.

Mark Trainer

"May all the toddlers on your flights sleep peacefully, even through landings"

From a simulation standpoint, I imagine once you found the controlling code you could insert any color value you wanted, though I don't know why you'd want to? 

From an aircraft standpoint, it's the color it is, and that's all.  My understanding of how it works is that the combiner has coatings that are highly reflective to green wavelengths of light (why the world has a slightly orange cast when you're looking through it), and the Hud symbology is therefore projected in green light so it reflects well. To change the color, you'd also need to physically change the combiner. It's not like there's a knob where you could select colors.

Andrew Crowley

Which is my point. My apologies if you took it the wrong way, but this is a study level simulation of the real aircraft. The real aircraft is a green HUD symbology. The nearly all are for the reason given above. 

Last time I checked, Trolls sit behind keyboards making comments to deliberately wind people up. Read my signature and other posts to see where I come from. Again, my apologies if you took my comment the wrong way. I've seen a HUD precisely once in the 737, none of ours has the system fitted.

• Like 2

Mark Harris.

Aged 54. 

P3D,  & DCS mostly. DofReality P6 platform partially customised and waiting for parts. Brunner CLS-E Yoke and Pedals. Winwing HOTAS and Cougar MFDS.

Scan 3XS Laptop i9-9900K 3.6ghz, 64GB DDR4, RTX2080.

B737NG Pilot. Ex Q400, BAe146, ATP and Flying Instructor in the dim and distant past! SEP renewed and back at the coal face flying folk on the much deserved holidays!

If the bright green distracts you from the outside view you can dim it a bit. For that reason I don‘t use it at all, but iirc the simulation offers this option.