Sign in to follow this  
Matt Piotrowski

Low GPU usage

In p3d v4.3 my gpu usage is very low at 20 to 35 percent. I looked at my cpu usage and its at 50 to 70 percent. Any way to get my gpu usage higher? My performance is not where I want it to be. Panning with chase plane is not smooth.

Addons: FSLabs a320, PMDG 737, Orbx Global, Tomato Shade, Active sky, and ASCA.

PC Specs: Intel 4770k @ 4.2, GTX 1080 SC, 16gb ram, Samsung EVO SSD

Per Beau Hollis of LM, GPU intense tasks include:

Shadows

Dynamic Reflections

SSAA

Dynamic Lighting

3D Water (water set to Ultra)

You could try increasing/implementing some of these features to use more of your GPU power.

HTH,

Greg

I will test with these settings. Thank you

Edit: I got my gpu usage up to 50 to 60 percent. Is that good? 

Edited by Matt Piotrowski

I'm also getting micro stutters every now and then. I have a 165hz g-sync monitor. What settings in game and in nvidia control panel/inspector should I be using?

On 8/19/2018 at 9:35 AM, Matt Piotrowski said:

In p3d v4.3 my gpu usage is very low at 20 to 35 percent. I looked at my cpu usage and its at 50 to 70 percent. Any way to get my gpu usage higher? My performance is not where I want it to be. Panning with chase plane is not smooth.

Addons: FSLabs a320, PMDG 737, Orbx Global, Tomato Shade, Active sky, and ASCA.

PC Specs: Intel 4770k @ 4.2, GTX 1080 SC, 16gb ram, Samsung EVO SSD

The sim is still very CPU dependent . I would overclock it to as high as you can 4.8 ghz is good and that will speed everything up. Im pretty sure the CPU speed is the bottle neck here. Higher setting without stutters should allow the GPU to work harder

Edited by zmak

ZORAN

Similar to lownslo, I've never checked my GPU usage, but in situation with micro-stutters I've often found that an increase of GPU load (such as increased shadows or auto gen ) will actually smooth those out or at least mitigate some. 

Edited by jimcarrel

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

So I tried the PMDG 737 and my performance is so much better than the FSlabs a320. I get no stutters and smooth game play. Any else have a performance problem with the FSlabs?