Sign in to follow this  
doublebubble

Water textures

1 hour ago, Sethos1988 said:

So you want them to pour millions into creating a brand new flight sim engine or completely overhauling an existing shelf-product, create brand new SDK tools and, in the process, completely wipe out their entire current mod support? Sounds like a brilliant plan.

And ironically, P3D's water looks miles better than the two civilian competitor products. The oh so fabled Aerofly 2 FS with its brand spanking new 300FPS engine, basically has flat ortho water.

Correct but there are a lot of people who don’t like P3D water. That is why I say that.

Guillaume

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490 ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K OC 5.5 GHz▪︎  ZOTAC RTX 4090 Trinity OC ▪︎ 64GB Crucial Ballistix  ▪︎ Windows 11 Pro (23H2) ▪︎ 2x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive et MSFS) ▪︎ 3x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SATA SSD ▪︎  Corsair RMX 1000W 80 plus Gold PSU  ▪︎ LIAN-LI ODYSSEY X black case

My P3D water at altitude has improved since I installed REX4 Texture Direct with Soft Clouds Enhanced Edition. The texture still looks static beyond a certain distance, but it is an improvement over default, and also has better colouration.

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

On 9/25/2018 at 1:35 PM, Rockliffe said:

Hmm, that's interesting, as I've read many, many reports of others who share my experience. All I can say, is that I have used every incarnation of REX weather and texture products for the past 9 years, but have failed miserably in trying to get proper water textures in P3D, regardless of numerous installs and attempts. I certainly haven't got anything against the guys at REX, other than I feel extremely disappointed in buying the product and have never been able to get the textures to look anything other than horrible even after pursuing help on the forum. Maybe you're right, maybe there is something wrong at my end, and if that is the case I would be the first to put my hand up and admit being wrong, but then why are so many others reporting the same experience?

Share your opinion. Been having the same problems with water since I switched over to P3D from FSX several years ago (P3D v1.3). Default water textures look far superior than any texture replacement program I've tried in my opinion. I have even contacted REX about this issue, but didn't receive much response at all.

• Like 1

---

MSFS | DCS | X-plane 12

4 hours ago, guibru said:

Stop taking your head off for water rendering.
Pressing LM won’t do any good, the only way to get a better rendering is to change the P3D graphics engine.
I remind you that it is the same as FSX. It’s an old graphic engine. 

Yes, but even FSX had better water rendering in most cases. At least programs like REX could make wonders by replacing water textures etc, which is certainly not the case anymore in P3D.

---

MSFS | DCS | X-plane 12

2 hours ago, NorwegianAviator said:

Yes, but even FSX had better water rendering in most cases. At least programs like REX could make wonders by replacing water textures etc, which is certainly not the case anymore in P3D.

Yes, I agree, but it’s still mediocre compared to what you can have with today’s engines.

Guillaume

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490 ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K OC 5.5 GHz▪︎  ZOTAC RTX 4090 Trinity OC ▪︎ 64GB Crucial Ballistix  ▪︎ Windows 11 Pro (23H2) ▪︎ 2x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive et MSFS) ▪︎ 3x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SATA SSD ▪︎  Corsair RMX 1000W 80 plus Gold PSU  ▪︎ LIAN-LI ODYSSEY X black case

The wet-look you can make with PTA or Tomatoshade ( Watersurface Tuning )

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

On 9/25/2018 at 7:35 AM, Rockliffe said:

Hmm, that's interesting, as I've read many, many reports of others who share my experience. All I can say, is that I have used every incarnation of REX weather and texture products for the past 9 years, but have failed miserably in trying to get proper water textures in P3D, regardless of numerous installs and attempts. I certainly haven't got anything against the guys at REX, other than I feel extremely disappointed in buying the product and have never been able to get the textures to look anything other than horrible even after pursuing help on the forum. Maybe you're right, maybe there is something wrong at my end, and if that is the case I would be the first to put my hand up and admit being wrong, but then why are so many others reporting the same experience?

It is obviously subjective, but I think REX4 is fantastic. I fly GA in the Caribbean and am very satisfied with the textures. 

3 hours ago, guibru said:

Yes, I agree, but it’s still mediocre compared to what you can have with today’s engines.

Absolutely, wish we could borrow the water from DCS World 😛

• Like 1

---

MSFS | DCS | X-plane 12

23 minutes ago, NorwegianAviator said:

Absolutely, wish we could borrow the water from DCS World 😛

Agree, but P3D's water is still superb compared to XP11's water. 

And the worst thing about X-Plane's water: " It not only looks terrible but even performs bad as hell ( ---> the CPU impact of this single water texture and its waves - rendering is just beyond ridiculous ". )

Cheers, all the best.

Edited by KBUR

6 hours ago, KBUR said:

Agree, but P3D's water is still superb compared to XP11's water. 

And the worst thing about X-Plane's water: " It not only looks terrible but even performs bad as hell ( ---> the CPU impact of this single water texture and its waves - rendering is just beyond ridiculous ". )

Cheers, all the best.

Can't say I agree with that. With some lua scripts you can make XP's water look quite good. Performance is another story though.

---

MSFS | DCS | X-plane 12

3 hours ago, NorwegianAviator said:

Can't say I agree with that. With some lua scripts you can make XP's water look quite good. Performance is another story though.

FlyAgi - a german female XPlane enthusiast (homepage here: FlyAgi  ) - made a comprehensive tutorial called Tutorial - Leistungsoptimierung in XPlane 11 (Performance Optimization in XPlane11) --> this special one is written in German only.

Under point 5) she writes:

5. Abschalten der FFT-Effekte des Wassers (=switching off the FFT-water effects)

.... Diese Einstellung entlastet die CPU sehr stark und sollte daher zumindest auspobiert werden. (=this adjustment - switching off the FFT effect - is reliefing the CPU load quite substantially and you should give it a try at least)....

In the meanwhile I've done a lot of tests: FFT on and off ! 

With FFT on the workload of my CPU is always ca. 25-30% higher than off - which is enormous !!!

Bottom line: With my own investigations done I agree 100 % with FlyAgi's observation regarding X-Plane11's FFT water effects.

The X-Plane water in all its glory is a real performance hog.  Completely unlike to P3Dv4's water:  Even on its highest settings (water ultra) I can barely see a performance impact, and the engine even depicts waves depending on wind's strength.

All the best,

Konrad

PS:  For all English spoken folks: If you are interested, there you can find FlyAgi's English article about her Tweak Utility (XPlane only)

Edited by KBUR

The water in P3D V5 is the worst Ive even seen. REX just responded to me and said they dont do water any more.

Im confused why V5 water is worse than V4 water...I guess LM figures its going to be replaced so why bother?..but then why is no company jumping to pick up the slack?

Im thinking of just taking the REX water textures from FSX and putting them into P3D v4.5

Imagine its that easy!

Edited by rennman

Didn't v5 go to Nvidia Wave Water ?.

In v4.5 waves are 3D if set to max which has quite an effect, else they are different, not 3D but maybe better looking ?

And REX Textures do have an effect, although yes I do remember FSX being somewhat superior in water looks, plus there was a dedicated 3rd party tool you could use to tweek them.

Cheers

Edited by Rogen

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

I decided to disable water textures completely in P3Dv4.5HF2. A sheet of glass looks better than the static ripples that I see above 1000 feet when textures are active.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png