Sign in to follow this  
doublebubble

Water textures

I was just wondering what people are using for water textures in P3DV4.3? I have Rex4 TD installed but are only using it for water, its ok but the wave action is very cartoonish, weird looking waves going sideways and what not, the actual water itself doesn't look too bad, is this a Rex thing? or is there some other water addon that can be used as only using Rex 4 for water seems to be taking up a lot of disc space for, well, just water.

Regards Rod.

The best water textures in my opinion for P3D are default. I too used Rex TD but uninstalled it immediately after experiencing rediculous renditions of water. It seems absurd to think you pay money for textures which are worse than the original.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

The water in P3D is much worse than in FSX, uncertain whatever reason. The best waterresult is in my opinion TOGA Envtex, combined with PTA. 

Edited by odaber

I think there would be a market for completely overhauled water textures including water 'landclass'.  I have not been able to fix the water in P3D as it just looks way too blue everywhere.  You see more grey/brown/dark blue water colors in the real world (depending on time of day) and not the cartoon blue that you get in P3D.  I am also using REX TD as it's probably the best available.

• Like 1

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

I've tried them all- REX, Envtex, default, and the thing that drives me nuts is that rivers are too blue during most of the day.  Rex blends the best with shorelines imho, but some of their textures, such as tropical water, are patterned and really terrible to look at while cruising over the ocean.  I've also learned that de-saturating the water with PTA or Tomatoshade helps a little, along with adjusting a lot of other various shader elements will impact water color shades particularly cloud shadows and terrain lighting.  One thing that I've never been able to resolve is that whenever i play with water texture saturation, it creates terrible borders around lakes, rivers and coasts where it meets the land.  These over-saturated rings always occur if the water and texture saturation levels are not balanced.  So, I've just decided to have water that is de-saturated a bit, deal with the rings around the borders, and hope that some day someone will come up with a fix. 

John

Edited by dal330200
  • Like 1

Look at the game " World of Warships " water is real.. Why Prepar4D can not make the water like this?

George

Edited by georgio1952

So there's not much one can do, I would just like to get rid of the shore line wave action if possible, I also remember a while back that I think when using AS16 or something that depending on the state of the weather the wave action and white caps would change as the weather changed, am I thinking of something else or is that still a thing?

Rod.

7 hours ago, georgio1952 said:

Look at the game " World of Warships " water is real.. Why Prepar4D can not make the water like this?

George

Yes the water is exceptional in that game, however, I seem to spend most of my time going under the water than on it !!!!

Cheers

Steve Hall

I am sure that there is a way to remove the shoreline "waves", but I can't remember how it is done.

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

On 8/19/2018 at 11:22 PM, Christopher Low said:

I am sure that there is a way to remove the shoreline "waves", but I can't remember how it is done.

Try http://www.prepar3d.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=119839 or http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/107194-Wave-effects-in-P3D-v4

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

I have to say, I do take great exception at REX who are happy to deliver new products, rather than fixing issues that have been present and people have whinged about forever. What a nonsense to pay money for a product that delivers worse textures than the default. 

Edited by Rockliffe

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

I have also wondered here. I am using ENVTEX for sky and water but cant deside whether default water is better or not. I also miss those old days regarding water. 

Thanks Michael Moe 

• Like 1

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

On 8/19/2018 at 5:09 PM, georgio1952 said:

Hm ... how big is the area in WoW? And how big is the area in P3D?

Comparing small world games like WoW, FarCry or GTA with Simulations like P3D, XP etc. is not wise. It's like comparing raisins with water melons 😉 

• Like 2

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

Hi Folks,

TOGA Envtex/Envshade for me...

More importantly - LM needs to address water - PHYSICS - that goop we attempt to fly seaplanes into and out of is not even closely related to real water...

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

4 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

LM needs to address water - PHYSICS -

They don't  have air physics quite sorted.