Sign in to follow this  
himmelhorse

Trim wheel problem P3Dv4 only

Hello all,

Got a small problem which has just cropped up and hope someone can help me out.

I have just reinstalled (Clean after reformat) P3Dv4.3 after an update to 4.3 went awry (internet problem) All went OK and reinstalled my ORBX Australian sceneries and my one Payware aircraft (iFly737) plus GSX.

First flight eagerly anticipated and I loaded up the 737. All went exceedingly well until I went to set trim values. I moved the trim wheel but no movement indicated on the throttle panel.  I then found that the computer was locked up and any movement of the mouse just resulted in multiple error sounds depending on how far the mouse was moved.  I could not close down P32D nor in fact, close down Windows without actually physically turning off the computer.

After re-booting I checked all my throttle/quadrant/trim/yoke settings and sensitivities. No duplications after especially checking elevator trim axis, and everything else appeared normal. I then started my iFly again with exactly the same result. After rebooting and double checking settings and sensitivities I then reloaded/resinstalled all my controllers drivers (including checking mouse drivers) All this achieved exactly the same result.

I rebooted again and instead of P3D, I got into FS2004 and everything is completely normal on all aircraft. 

I have concluded that the problem lies in P34Dv4 but have no idea what the problem is or how to fix it.

If anybody has any ideas I would greatly appreciate the help

Regards

Tony 

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Hello all again,

Problem solved.

I investigated a little further and found that with a default aircraft, I took off  and tried to adjust trim after takeoff. I found everything worked normally except, of course, the Trim Wheel and the mouse was able to move the pointer. However, as soon as I clicked on anything I got the dread noise and therefore was unable to exit either P3D nor Windows without manually turning off the computer.

After rebooting, I went back into options and checked the mouse yoke and mouse look settings and found the problem.  The mouse yoke had several axis active including the elevator axis. Mouse look also had several axis active.  I then deleted all the axis on the mouse yoke and look, and retried the trim   No problems now.

This brings up the questions

1. Why after numerous reinstalls of P3d in v2 3 and v4 was the mouse yoke and look a problem as I have never tried to even look at their settings, and,

2. What the hell is the plural of axis???? LOL

Cheers guys

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Are you using the Saitek trim wheel? If so, this is appears to be a common problem. For me the fix is to make sure I move the trim wheel before starting P3D until Windows gives the 'USB disconnect' sound. Then everything works properly. If I don't do this, I get into the same twilight zone you describe, with no mouse control and the only way out is to hard reset the computer. Don't ask me why, but it is so :huh:

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

Mark,

Sorry about the very tardy response to your input.

I am indeed using the Saitek Trim Wheel. and to date it has been faultless. 

I also found that it was slightly tardy using it normally for the first time and was inactive until the aforementioned "USB connect/Disconnect" sound.  Howevere, that was never a problem.

My eventual problem was that in the settings/controls/axis settings, the mouse yoke and the mouse look both had elevator trim axis selected and active. They obviously took precedence but my problem was solved when I deactivated all the axis(es) ticked in the mouse yoke and mouse look.  What was throwing me was the fact that I had never had to do this before and thus I never even initially thought to look there.

I think good advice when and if anybody has controller problems is to check and recheck ALL the controllers used and ensure there are no conflicts ie two different controllers trying to control the same axis.

I have much the same problem when reinstalling FS2004.  I always find that I have to delete all the axis for all controllers and start again. Even then with FS2004 when I set up the yoke/keyboard assignments, I find that landing gear, cowl flaps and the hatswitch is assigned to the yoke. As I only use the hatswitch for panning (normal) I delete the other two. Then I check the trim wheel and find that it too has (non existant) buttons assigned to the landing gear, cowl flaps and hatswitch.  Try as I might, I cannot find a button 17 on the trim wheel but it is assigned. So I delete those assignments and move to the rudder pedals. Same thing occurs so I have to delete those assignments too. Moving on to the throttle quadrant I find it also, has landing gear, cowl flaps and hatswitch assignments which have to be deleted. Only then are all controllers rendered useful and if those deletions do not get done I have all sorts of problems which, I guess, is only to be expected. I have no idea what causes these aberattions but it is now a very familiar procedure.

Good luck in  the future and I hope this has been somewhat of a help to you (and others)

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

I believe the plural of axis is axes.  Regards,  M.

Very Best Wishes,

Dr T. Maurice Murphy