Sign in to follow this  
Nigge

Suggestions for other ways of ground steering?

Hi, this has been something that has been annoying me a bit.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do ground steering except the regular combined ground steering + rudder?

What I want is for example: when on ground the spoiler axis = ground steering but when in air spoiler axix = spoiler.
How do you guys do ground steering and clever solutions? I think its really annoying to do the ground steering with pedals.

My setup is Saitek rudder pedals and a Thrustmaster Hotas Joystick.

Thanks for any suggestions

/Niklas Eriksson

Niklas Eriksson

Hello Niklas,

the paid version of FSUIPC has a function where you can assign a separate controller to act as the "steering tiller". It is still using the rudder axis, but FSUIPC detects how fast you are going and will send either the tiller (below 40 knots? Value can be adjusted) or the pedals input to the sim. I am using an old joystick as tiller.

But it also depends on the aircraft model. For example, with the Majestic Q400 you can assign the spoiler axis to the tiller directly.

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Depends on the aeroplane. I tend to prefer add-ons which have the steering tiller modeled and able to be activated, which differs on how it is done for a few of them:

On the Majestic Q400, I click the mouse on the actual tiller in the VC, which is okay but zooming the view back a bit is required to ensure you have enough of the windscreen in view to see where you are going whilst also being able to actually click the mouse on the tiller. The Black Box Simulations Airbuses all use a system which I quite like; the P3D deploy tailhook command toggles between working the steering tiller and the rudder, so you only have to have one steering axis assigned to a controller to use that, it automatically flips back to rudder control when you hit 40 knots. The FSL A320 similarly has a key assigned for toggling the nosewheel steering, which is okay too.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

17 hours ago, Chock said:

Depends on the aeroplane. I tend to prefer add-ons which have the steering tiller modeled and able to be activated, which differs on how it is done for a few of them:

On the Majestic Q400, I click the mouse on the actual tiller in the VC, which is okay but zooming the view back a bit is required to ensure you have enough of the windscreen in view to see where you are going whilst also being able to actually click the mouse on the tiller. The Black Box Simulations Airbuses all use a system which I quite like; the P3D deploy tailhook command toggles between working the steering tiller and the rudder, so you only have to have one steering axis assigned to a controller to use that, it automatically flips back to rudder control when you hit 40 knots. The FSL A320 similarly has a key assigned for toggling the nosewheel steering, which is okay too.

Hi, I mainly fly the FSLabs A319 and the Pmdg airplanes. And from what I understand from the FSLabs A319 even if you enable /disable nosewheel stearing, it will still use the rudder axis which for me means the pedals...

I love the way Majestic handles it in the dash with the spoiler axis, so thats what I really want to have for all airplanes...

Niklas Eriksson

22 hours ago, Nigge said:

.... I think its really annoying to do the ground steering with pedals

why ?

it is necessary / correct in ground roll (takeoff / landing) < 40kts or so.

does your "joystick" have a twist (Z axis) to use as a tiller.

P3D4 has an assignable rudder (pedals) & separate steering (tiller) axis which works for airbus / boeings (though it does not limit pedal nosewheel steer as it should / could) as distinct from pedal rudder control.

check your airbus fcom for details (1.27.10p16 & 1.32.20p1) on what should be possible .... fsuipc control is the only solution to be close.

Edited by vadriver
syntax

for now, cheers

john martin

I just use my joystick to steer on the ground and turn in the air (with AutoRudder enabled).....but that is probably not an acceptable option for some of you guys :wink:

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I have a Thrustmaster joystick with twist function assigned to steering tiller which sits on a small table to the left of my chair. This is for ground steering. All buttons on top are for reset views so when panning the view (moving the head so to say) while taxiing I can quickly reset to forward view when back on centerline.

This is separate from my Saitek Yoke which is mounted in front with rudder pedals for flying.

For jets/Dash8 I use the tiller/joystick, for GA/props I use my pedals. All assigned via FSUIPC.

My wish is one day some hardware manufacturer produces a true steering tiller...

Shez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

2 hours ago, vadriver said:

why ?

it is necessary / correct in ground roll (takeoff / landing) < 40kts or so.

does your "joystick" have a twist (Z axis) to use as a tiller.

P3D4 has an assignable rudder (pedals) & separate steering (tiller) axis which works for airbus / boeings (though it does not limit pedal nosewheel steer as it should / could) as distinct from pedal rudder control.

check your airbus fcom for details (1.27.10p16 & 1.32.20p1) on what should be possible .... fsuipc control is the only solution to be close.

Yes, but IRL you dont control the nose wheel by the rudder pedals, thats the only thing I want to change. 

Niklas Eriksson

2 hours ago, Nigge said:

Yes, but IRL you dont control the nose wheel by the rudder pedals, thats the only thing I want to change. 

In the real A319 you have a small amount of nose wheel control with the rudder.  I believe it’s 6 degrees 

FSL has it modeled correctly if you set up a axis for the tiller, you will only have a small amount of nose wheel control with the pedals

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

4 hours ago, ShezA said:

My wish is one day some hardware manufacturer produces a true steering tiller...

Shez

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

3 hours ago, Nigge said:

The FSUIPC option doesn't use the pedals for steering, but a separate assigned axis. It does use the rudder input in P3D for steering, just gradually changing to pedals as you accelerate.

It does need such an axis assigned for steering. If you don't have a spare axis to assign then you'd have to do it using a plug-in to switch to whatever other function you need on that axis.  There is an example of such a plug-in, but for throttle action, in my User Contributions subforum -- the thread by the name "Throttle Manager to Allow Axis Forward/Reverse Toggle"

Pete

Edited by Pete Dowson

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

For the record.....is it possible to turn the nosewheel of the FSL A320/A319 with the joystick left/right axis if AutoRudder is enabled? Please tell me that it is, otherwise I will be somewhat annoyed...

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

10 hours ago, Nigge said:

airbus pedals & tiller

7 hours ago, mikea76 said:

FSL has it modeled correctly if you set up a axis for the tiller, you will only have a small amount of nose wheel control with the pedals

mike

curious to know ..... are you using P3D4's steering (tiller nosewheel steer) & rudder (pedal nosewheel steer / pedal rudder control) axis assignments or pete's (fsuipc) similar "direct to" methods .... in the pmdg, you don't get limited nosewheel steer using the P3D4's axis but you do with fsuipc.

Edited by vadriver
clarify

for now, cheers

john martin

Thanks for all replies, 

Im guessing by reading the later posts that its not possible to combine spoiler axis and ground steering?.
I dont haven any axis to spare at the moment so guess there is no other way than keeping the pedals for ground steering unfortunately.

Niklas Eriksson