Should I ditch my three Titan Pascals for 3 of the new 2080 Ti....?

Any idea what 3 85 inch screens in viewgroup would benefit from the extra muscle? 

• Like 2

From what nVidia was saying in their conference they sure seem powerful. I really am curious if any of the flight sim platforms will really take advantage of the new hardware. Maybe P3D v5?

2 minutes ago, DDWareing said:

From what nVidia was saying in their conference they sure seem powerful. I really am curious if any of the flight sim platforms will really take advantage of the new hardware. Maybe P3D v5?

Agreed. But by the time P3D V5 comes out we can probably get the new "fastest GPU ever"....

• Like 1

first they are not even out yet!
even though Nvidia is flexing atm not many application are really capable of fully taking advantage of the new muscles,
i would guess two more years before this is anywhere close to fully matured technology used in the wiled,

what might be beneficial is the huge buffer these allow when SLI bridged they can buffer together 48GB,
that's where i see a benefit for our industry mainly; not so much in the new ray technology in and of itself,

if you break down the technology its essentially a load! more calculations possible,
closer look and we understand it is also introducing complexity when one is using the technology to present materials,

the goal for nvidia is not performance as in the same aspect we look at it; for them its about the data representing real world off digital assets aka materials representation, to do that they dug deep and realized that parts of that is how light reflect off surfaces; the more crevices the better and more real it becomes, so really all this new ray reflect and directional projection they call AI technology is a new overhead if and when used,

if you compare the same engine serving none textures materials it may not even have benefit over current titan offerings,
as this new technology is designed to work in 5 way tandem to overcome a specific overhead, it seem to be beneficial for professional animation as they can now bring high fidelity of realism to human objects rendered,

nothing they mentioned so far relates to accelerating existing textures technology or any performance increase with existing,
they were very crafty with their wording,

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

If you want to make an informed decision about replacing your current cards with the very, very recently announced graphics cards, you should wait until there are actual tests and benchmarks comparing the new line of RTX cards to previous generation of cards.

• Like 1

Newegg has just released the 2080-ti and 2080 for pre-ordering; delivery as stated is on 9/20. TI is $1199 and up and the non-TI $839 and up. See https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=2080ti&ignorear=0&N=-1&isNodeId=1 for the TI and https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006662&IsNodeId=1&Description=2080&name=Video Cards %26 Video Devices&Order=BESTMATCH&Tpk=2080&ignorear=1 for the 2080. 

Hope you can afford it.....

Edited by pgde

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

Amazing how eager some people are to part with their money! 😄

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

I'm not. I bet there will be some great deals on used 1080tis.....

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

The price of these cards is absolutely ridiculous.

• Like 2

Matt Wilson

This sounds promising...
In a demo called "Infiltrator" at Gamescom, a single Turing-based GPU was able to render it in 4K with high quality graphics setting at a steady 60FPS. Huang noted that it actually runs at 78FPS, the demo was just limited by the stage display. On a GTX 1080 Ti, that same demo runs in the 30FPS range.

However...
While we certainly expect the RTX 2080 Ti to be faster than its predecessors, the real question is by just how much. From what we've seen on stage, it appears that games will have to be optimized to take advantage of the RTX capabilities.

I'd wait for P3D v5...

https://www.engadget.com/2018/08/20/nvidias-rtx-2080ti/

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, pgde said:

I doubt it tbh, the prices of video cards dont really drop that much any more once i new one comes out,expecially in todays climate. The price will drop a bit(maybe to what is cost at release?) but then it'll prob just be disconinued.

Edited by Litmoose

1 hour ago, pgde said:

23 minutes ago, Litmoose said:

I doubt it tbh, the prices of video cards dont really drop that much any more once i new one comes out,expecially in todays climate. The price will drop a bit(maybe to what is cost at release?) but then it'll prob just be disconinued.

He said "USED" 1080ti and he is right. the supply if Used 1080ti's will go up with people upgrading and as a result the used price will come down.

Rob just ordered 2 Ti's.

But unless LM overhauls the graphic engine....I just feel that GPU gains will go waste.  Sure, there will be FPS gain but compared to other software, I just will not be able to see epic graphics...that all of us are wishing for.

When the CV2 comes out and sure I will be getting the 2080s also...at least I can enjoy the VR Bridge of the Starship enterprise with even better fluidity.  It already is awesome on my 980s, but will get better with 2080s.

Losing hope on LM graphic engine overhaul.  Keeping legacy code alive is insane...it is time to let go.

Actually betting on FS2 now with graphics push these days - just need them to get Orbx Global/Vector something...which covers the entire planet and PMDG birds in it

Edited by Skywolf
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

Given how many 1080ti's have ben used in crypto mining rigs, I would be hesitant to go used at this point.