Sign in to follow this  
jtwhite

Helicopter flying

On 8/21/2018 at 2:52 AM, Janov said:

The single largest improvement in helicopter flying for me was the implementation of VR. Until then, hovering with precision was a hit and miss, with VR it has become second nature. Have you tried that?

Cheers, Jan

I am simply amazed what VR offered to simulation as well. Also trying to learn helicopters, purchased the B407 but i am terrible to control it, lot of spins, going back & forth, lot of unstable flying still. VR gives me some nausea. I do not experience that when flying fixed wings. i.e. the ixeg 🙂

• Like 1

Manuel Merelles

On 8/20/2018 at 6:09 PM, jtwhite said:

The fun I'm having flyingthe Dreamfoil Bell 407 is just bubbling up, and so I thought I'd let it spill over here.

I don't think I'll ever go back to flying fixed wings. And I think it's the beauty of XP scenery at low altitudes that makes it so cool. I've created the three bridges near my home airport, and with OrthoXP and perfectly placed buildings ,.. well, you know what I mean.

I;ve mastered hovering pretty well, so much so that my mind (simple as it is) now seems to have been fooled into thinking I can actually feel the aircraft under me in a hover.

Now, where did I put that building with the rooftop landing pad?

Anyway, just sayin'

JTW, Indiana

I love the Bell, and the default S76.  Xplane11 copters fly more realistically than the P3DV4 copters I have flown.  With Xplane11's superb autogen they are fun for nape of the earth flying, to see the buildings whizzing by on the ground, to outpace the ground traffic.  I have a blast when I am in the mood to fly an Xplane11 copter.  Xplane11 includes, with the recent addition of the Aerolight 103 Ultralight, aircraft the fill all niches of flight.  It is a good sim for that reason alone, as one can move up the ladder from prop aircraft, to turboprops, to jets and to copters, and of course the Shuttle if one wants to zoom home from Space.

John

10 hours ago, Cactus521 said:

I love the Bell, and the default S76.

If you like the default S76, try the free Bell 429 at the org. It's a much better model for this general class of helicopter:

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/34702-bell-429-global-ranger/

The cockpit is more realistic than the S76, and it includes (with permission) most of the plugin features from the payware X-Trident Bell 412, like force trim release and autopilot. I'm a fan of steam gauges so I like the 412 better, but this free 429 is also very good, basically payware quality in a free model. Tons of liveries available for it too.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor