Sign in to follow this  
gorio

How to update navigation data GTN750 on X-Plane 11 ?

17 hours ago, JRBarrett said:

The Garmin Trainer is produced by Garmin themselves. It’s intended first and foremost as a training aid for real-world pilots who already have Garmin GNS/GTN units in their airplanes, or who are considering installing them.

Garmin permits the trainer to be used as the core of FS add-ons like the RealityXP and F1 GNS/GTN. It’s a good business decision, because it is basically free advertising for their products, and they undoubtedly recognize that at least some simmers who use the RXP or F1 emulations are r/w licensed pilots who may decide to purchase the real thing based on their experience with the simulated versions.

The problem regarding monthly updates is that the Trainer uses exactly the same database files as the real GNS/GTN units. If anyone distributed current databases compatible with the trainer for flight simulation use, there would be nothing to prevent someone from loading them onto the SIM card used by a real GNS or GTN in a real airplane.

For that reason, even when a new version of the Trainer is released by Garmin, it never contains the current Nav database - it’s always going to be at least a few months out-of-date. FAA regulations require r/w pilots to only use current Nav data - (at least when flying on an IFR flight plan).

But, as the post in this thread from RXP pointed out, Garmin has been releasing new Trainer versions on a fairly regular basis. The latest Trainer will never have the most-current Nav data, but it won’t be extremely outdated either.

If a way could be found to make Nav updates compatible with the Trainer, but incompatible with a real Garmin GNS or GTN, that would probably be the only solution. Doing so would probably require the active cooperation of Garmin.

Thank you very much for the response and it does make sense as I can see this happening.

Edited by RXP

Well that exactly answer my question, which was, since these data releases for RL pilots are obsolete and discarded with the next cycle, is there a source of these "discarded" or outdated (for real life) databases?  I would be perfectly fine with a DB that was 2-3 months old vs 1, 2, or 3 years old.

Also explained why I was unable to get my navigraph package downloads to work.

42 minutes ago, Tachyon said:

Well that exactly answer my question, which was, since these data releases for RL pilots are obsolete and discarded with the next cycle, is there a source of these "discarded" or outdated (for real life) databases?  I would be perfectly fine with a DB that was 2-3 months old vs 1, 2, or 3 years old.

Also explained why I was unable to get my navigraph package downloads to work.

Since they are identical, the simulator and RW data andFor liability purposes, I would think it highly unlikely.

Right, I understand they're identical, wouldn't be of much use otherwise. But, what pilot in their right mind would put their life & gear in jeopardy by using out of date flight navigation data? I sure as hell wouldn't. But for a "computer game" (I know, simulation) who cares if its out of date a few months/cycles.

If GARMIN and Jeppesen do not provide any outdated database for free, any public version of these (outdated) databases would explicitly infringe the license agreement and copyright laws.
As much as we'd like to use the most recent data for any game/simulation, it's still a professional, accurate and reliable, real-world product. The downside is that the up-to-date version does not come for free, and other "outdated but recent" versions are sill protected by licenses agreements and copyright laws (as it should be).

Edited by Bourrinopathe
  • Upvote 1

On 8/28/2018 at 8:17 AM, Tachyon said:

But, what pilot in their right mind would put their life & gear in jeopardy by using out of date flight navigation data?

You would be surprised. Not all Pilots are paragons of virtue.

David Porrett

I think that the Garmin update only covers US and not Europe. Forget Navigraph in this matter.

You can use Navigraph to a iPad connected to X-plane via WiFi (moving map IAL). On Avsim forum there is a good explaination how to update GTN and how to avoid overwriting. Also in XPR manual tells how to set up and prepare windows path etc..

You have to get real data base from Garmin, try first as a test if you know anybody that own a real GTN. However be aware of license roules! It is not allowed to copy DB!

When open such download or reading files from the SD card, you will not see any files as long you dont modify Windows explorer to show all "hidden" files an OS files with full extention.

Google "Garmin Data Card guide", it is a good explanation of what the different files are used for and how the cycle of update works. Several databases on subscripton does not change that often such as terrain etc..