Sign in to follow this  
Shomron

Simstarter NG for P3D v4?

Any owners of this program to share their thoughts?

I don't use different profiles (I use only complex airliners) so the main feature is less relevant for me. I am guessing the tweak section is less relevant for P3D v4 users as it was targeted initially for FSX.

The main reason I want this program is that it saves you time in preparation for the sim launch - launching all of the addons and having their affinity set in advance

Thanks

Shom

[Win 10 Pro, i7-9700K, MSI 3080Ti, 4K screen, Crucial 2666 16GB, 2 500GB Samsung EVOs 850/860]

[MSFS 2020 running with Fenix A320, PMDG 737, FSS E-175, Aerosoft CRJ]

[P3D v5.3 HF2 running with ifly 737 Max 8, FSLabs A319/320/321, Feelthere E170/175/190/195 v3, PMDG 737 NGXu ,TFDI 717, Aerosoft CRJ Pro, Majestic Dash 8, CS 757 iii, Feelthere ERJ-145, Fly The Maddog X, QW 787, PMDG 777]

I have used this for a long time now and find it excellent. It is promptly kept up to date with latest P3D versions.

Key reason I use it is that I have a lot of payware sceneries and have divided these into "regions", e.g. Oceania, Norway, North America, ... etc" and use SS NG to only load the scenery files necessary for that region.

This greatly reduces the initial P3D startup times if you have a lot of sceneries.

• Like 2

I have it and no longer use the program. Like you, I was not using different sets of settings or scenery and  running P3D v4, so it was more of a flight setup tool. 

I’ve not spent the time to trace it definitively to SimStarter, but have had multiple times where some .cfg file was corrupted (P3D, scenery, exe, dll, etc). Even deleting and rebuilding these files, I ended up having to use SimStarter to get P3D to start again. I haven’t had the issue since stopping using SimStarter. 

It’s been a while since I’ve used it, but with earlier builds I was not the only one with this problem. So I gave up. 

Eric Szczesniak

4 hours ago, PaulFWatts said:

I have used this for a long time now and find it excellent.

I concur.
I use it for several settings, both P3DV4 settings as external settings
(online/offline/AI/etc)

4 hours ago, PaulFWatts said:

and use SS NG to only load the scenery files necessary for that region.

I use it to load dept/dest airports only, so no memory/stutter issues enroute.
- Basic scenery set (fixed)
- Enroute scenery set (dept/dest, changed per flight)

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

I use SimStarterNG for several capabilities:

-The obvious function of selecting what I call scenery operations areas. eg., USA West Coast, USA East Coast, Africa, etc. 

-Custom FSUIPC configs. I have almost 300 LUA scripts in my library so have separated into a couple different FSUIPC.INI files

-Different P3D.cfg settings. eg, for ground vehicle or ship pilot scenarios, for aircraft scenarios, for high density autogen areas like SoCal Orbx, etc

-Different starting scenarios. I use LorbySI WAMA and have different airport start scenarios with WAMA working

-Different run sets to control which auxiliary applications (WAMA, ActiveSky, etc) are run with P3D

It IS another piece of software to learn,configure and maintain but, for me, a must have.

@ESzczesniak there was an issue right after P3Dv4 came out where SimstarterNG could corrupt the cfg files because of the change in text encoding in P3D. That has definitely been fixed.

Edited by Henry Street
  • Like 1

I purchased this last winter and gave up on it. Seemed to increase complexity unnecessarily. I found it easier to just do my tweeks and changes manually.That is just my experience. Some seem to really appreciate it. Maybe I didn't understand everything it does and should have been more patient but I spent hours with this app when it was supposed to be making things easier. You need a pretty in depth understanding of the Sim program itself for it to be of use.

Vic green

Overall I like it. I use it mainly to control liveries and the ability to sort the prepar3d.cfg file is a BIG plus to me. 

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Excellent program. Constantly updated with regards to Prepar3d v4+. Use much the way Vic does. Easily locating .cfg files worth the price alone.

Thanks all for the info looks like this may be an overkill for my needs as it may be adding unnecessary complexity.

Is there another program available for constant affinity settings (I currently manually take off core 0 all addon processes via the task manager)?

Shom

[Win 10 Pro, i7-9700K, MSI 3080Ti, 4K screen, Crucial 2666 16GB, 2 500GB Samsung EVOs 850/860]

[MSFS 2020 running with Fenix A320, PMDG 737, FSS E-175, Aerosoft CRJ]

[P3D v5.3 HF2 running with ifly 737 Max 8, FSLabs A319/320/321, Feelthere E170/175/190/195 v3, PMDG 737 NGXu ,TFDI 717, Aerosoft CRJ Pro, Majestic Dash 8, CS 757 iii, Feelthere ERJ-145, Fly The Maddog X, QW 787, PMDG 777]

18 minutes ago, Shomron said:

Thanks all for the info looks like this may be an overkill for my needs as it may be adding unnecessary complexity.

Is there another program available for constant affinity settings (I currently manually take off core 0 all addon processes via the task manager)?

Process Lasso can do that for you. 

I use SimStarter NG and have 4 profiles that I use depending on my flying:

- 4K flying in Europe( flying and using my 4K TV as main screen)

- 4K flying in USA( flying and using my 4K TV as main screen)

- Home cockpit flying in Europe( flying in my full size cockpit and using a 100 inch projector screen @1920x1080)

- Home cockpit flying in USA( flying in my full size cockpit and using a 100 inch projector screen @1920x1080)

With these profiles I also have different add-ons  and sceneries that are loaded.

- ActiveSky, Pro-ATC-X, SmartStarter w/MapLog in all profiles

- CFY TQ, OC4BA in Home cockpit profiles

Both SimStarter NG and SmartStarter w/Mapalog is a must have for me. Everything is started via these programs.

Roar Kristensen    www.flightsim4fun.com

P3Dv4 with Opencockpits hardware controlled by OC4BAv4 for immersive PMDG B737/777/747 flying

XPLANE 11 with Opencockpits hardware controlled by OC4BA_XP for immersive  B737 flying

rmMShli.jpg?1 WylQl0J.jpg?3

I use it. Its like a Swiss army knife for flightsim. I never start my sim without it. Really easy to mix and match profiles for whatever your going to do.

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

It's very powerful and somewhat complex if all you want is to startup a few programs with P3D.  That being said it is an excellent program.  

Jeff Callender