Sign in to follow this  
iFlySimX

PMDG Radar Pixelated

Hello! 

For some reason my PMDG 737 & 777 look pretty terrible. Why does it look so pixelated? Thank you!

Clement

11.png

YouTube | Facebook | Discord

34" Odyssey OLED G8 175Hz | 3440X1440 | i9-9900K O/C 5.0 GHz | ASUS ROG Strix RTX 3080 OC Edition | 32GB DDR 4 - 3200MHz | Asus Rog Strix Z390-E Gaming | Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe | Kaken X62 Cpu Cooler | NZXT H510 Elite Case

8 minutes ago, Le Français said:

Why does it look so pixelated?

We're just displaying what ActiveSky provides. Check your settings in ActiveSky.

Kyle Rodgers

7 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

We're just displaying what ActiveSky provides. Check your settings in ActiveSky.

Thank you but what AS settings could cause this? Other aircrafts radars look fine. 

34" Odyssey OLED G8 175Hz | 3440X1440 | i9-9900K O/C 5.0 GHz | ASUS ROG Strix RTX 3080 OC Edition | 32GB DDR 4 - 3200MHz | Asus Rog Strix Z390-E Gaming | Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe | Kaken X62 Cpu Cooler | NZXT H510 Elite Case

There's no fix for that.

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

1 minute ago, BIGSKY said:

There's no fix for that.

I thought I had seen it a lot better in the past.

47 minutes ago, Le Français said:

I thought I had seen it a lot better in the past.

Likely just different weather that had stronger cells.

Kyle Rodgers

5 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

Likely just different weather that had stronger cells.

So your radar look exactly like mine? Here is a screenshot I found online. 

11.png

Would love some user input here.

Edited by Le Français

Just now, Le Français said:

So your radar look exactly like mine? 

Like I said, it depends on the weather.

If you find some scattered cells one day, it'll look like this. Load up where there's a strong front of storms, then you'll see a stronger (better) grouping.

In order for it to look like mine, you'd have to be in the same spot, on the same day, at the same time.

Weather is always changing, so what you see on the radar display will always change. Have a look on a different day, and I guarantee it'll look different. This is nothing to hyperventilate over, honestly.

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks Kyke, not hyperventilate over this at all. I just didn't know this was the case. I'll keep an eye out. 

16 hours ago, Le Français said:

Thanks Kyke, not hyperventilate over this at all. I just didn't know this was the case. I'll keep an eye out. 

Good example is my flight KMIA-SCEL yesterday, where WXR was painting a broad area of TS activity but rather than a realistic rendering what I got from ASP4 was a perfect crystal formation of little red dots uniformly spaced.  In general, depiction of thunderstorms is something still in its infancy.  It has a long way to go both on the radar and visually out in front of us.

Dan Downs KCRP

1 hour ago, downscc said:

In general, depiction of thunderstorms is something still in its infancy.  It has a long way to go both on the radar and visually out in front of us.

I use Real Traffic to fly with my sim.  Although ASP4 doesn't do a great job of depicting TS, it does a decent job of placing them in the correct location.  A couple of days ago I followed SWA that was on Real Traffic and depicted on my PMDG TCAS from KDAL to KMCO.  The SWA deviated a couple of times around TS that were depicted on my PMDG radar.  There was a very good correlation between what was shown on my PMDG radar and the SWA course being flown.  Although not perfect it was close enough as far as location and movement. 

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

18 hours ago, Le Français said:

Would love some user input here

I wouldn't be going where that aircraft is headed.  🙂

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

I recall reading recently that this is an ActiveSky issue, not easily resolved. Check with Activesky might be helpful.

Hello,

It appears that you have your range set to 160 miles in the first picture, the second that you found online looks like the range is set to 20 miles.  I am currently sitting at KMCO-Orlando and the radar looks similar to your second pic.  Try setting your range to 20 miles and you will see the difference.

KMCO 231905Z 34017G20KT 10SM TS FEW020 BKN040 BKN100 BKN250 27/22 A2998 RMK AO2 WSHFT 1849 LTG DSNT ALQDS CONS LTGICCG OHD AND W

\Robert Hamlich/

I think he is talking about the graphics on the radar not what it’s doing.

Zdenek  Cebis