Sign in to follow this  
DylanM

New GeForce RTX DLSS AA and P3D

This looks promising...looking forward to the reports from the early adopters on how it translates within P3D...

"What’s interesting about DLSS is that it uses Turing’s Tensor cores to enable a deep learning-powered AI technique to dramatically improve image quality and remove jagged edge artifacts in games, with a minimal performance hit. Traditional anti-aliasing, or AA, can lean heavily on GPU processing resources and memory bandwidth, and may consume large amounts of frame buffer memory as well. Anti-aliasing often requires a frame to be rendered and re-rendered multiple times in order to smooth out edges of objects in a scene and the end result can be a costly performance hit. NVIDIA notes that its new DLSS anti-aliasing technique, however, uses machine learning of scenes and images (called inferencing) to improve image quality without the large performance hit associated with some traditional AA methods. To use NVIDIA's words, “powered by Turing’s Tensor Cores, which perform lightning-fast deep neural network processing, GeForce RTX GPUs also support Deep Learning Super-Sampling (DLSS), a technology that applies deep learning and AI to rendering techniques, resulting in crisp, smooth edges on rendered objects in games.""

https://hothardware.com/news/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-performance-and-dlss

Edited by DylanM

Thanks for the info. Sounds interesting. The proof will be in the visuals.

Certainly will be a “wait and see” for me.  A great jump in technology but how it translates directly into simming rather than a Triple-A title built for ray tracing will hold me off from any kind of pre-ordering or early adoption.

(not to mention the retail prices)

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

£1,200

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

1 hour ago, Nyxx said:

£1,200

It is for the Ti. The 2080 is around the $800 USD range and the 2070 ~$600

Edited by DylanM

2 hours ago, DylanM said:

This looks promising...looking forward to the reports from the early adopters on how it translates within P3D...

I suppose it will translate to nothing. I think LM will first have to implement this into P3D, just like raytracing... or DX12... Don't wait for it. I don't expect anything very interesting from early adopters apart from a improvement of, well, let's say, 3 fps (going from 25 to 28), which would be quite something already. 😉

Edited by Guest

Lol, these topics are funny....psst...the software is the problem....it is old. 🤣

• Upvote 1

-Roland

32 minutes ago, J van E said:

just like raytracing

This isn't raytracing...this is AA. And yes, P3D does use that despite its pedigree...

The new GPU tech will only run on windows 10 updated and DX12, and at the moment will not work as the drivers used are only beta and have not been released by Nvidia, and your not likely to see it tested in P3Dv4 till mid to late sept when someone gets there hand on one.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

What’s interesting about DLSS is that it uses Turing’s Tensor cores to enable a deep learning-powered AI technique.....

NVIDIA notes that its new DLSS anti-aliasing technique, however, uses machine learning of scenes and images (called inferencing) to improve image quality without the large performance hit associated with some traditional AA methods....

Machine learning, eh? If they call the next generation of cards "Terminator", I'm running for the hills :laugh::blink:

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

7 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

Machine learning, eh? So, I can expect the image quality to improve every time that I run the simulator.... :laugh:

Or comment on how terrible our approach angles were...😅

Edited by DylanM

3 hours ago, DylanM said:

It is for the Ti. The 2080 is around the $800 USD range and the 2070 ~$600

Yes the Ti

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

From what I understood the machine learning part is actually done in Nvidia datacenters running the game in question a couple billion times so when you play P3D it doesn't try and do AA with XPlane visuals. So to use this in P3D you'd first need to ask Nvidia to run the sim on their machines... good luck with that 🤣

And isn't this Nvidia-specific? If so, what about all the AMD-based users?

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.