Sign in to follow this  
David Roch

Why is FS Tramp so unknown?

Hi guys,

I was a FS Navigator big fan for years until it wasn't anymore developed.
I today see lot of posts about flight planners or chart viewers for P3D like EFB V2.0 but almost never about FS Tramp, which is FS Nav successor.

Why?
Is it because of the yearly pricing?
I for one 100% agree to pay every year for such a fantastic program because I can't think of flying without.
But I can imagine the price is discouraging lot of users.

Is it because it is not known enough?
So please do you a favor and download the free demo version. (just google FS Tramp).
No need for a second monitor or remote PC, the app is directly available within P3D using a keyboard shortcut of your choice.
It works in full screen mode.
FS Tramp creates and follows flight plans according to the latest Navigraph data (if available), offers a wide choice of displays for SIDs/STARs on the map to help automatically selecting the more appropriate, has a unique UI with clear indications, includes AI traffic, weather etc...and has very low impact on the CPU.

I have tried ALL flight planners available for P3D.
None of them offers the same level of comfort and none of them is so powerful.

I'll be happy to help you discovering this fabulous tool if you have any questions.
Cheers!

Edited by David Roch
  • Like 2

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Hi David,

I'll be honest and say in my thirty years of simming,  I've never heard of FS Tramp.  I was a dedicated user of FS Navigator so i'll be sure to try it later. 

Off to my local airfield flying radio control 3m gliders 🙂

IMO, Because today, there are better flight planner/moving maps and one or two are free. or donateware

• Like 2

Thanks for the remainder.

I've heard of this app before, but never tried it. I will check the demo version today.

Thanks, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

I've got it and I love it.  You dont hear me saying that often.  I use it every flight, nice to see where the other aircraft are flying, both ai and other vatsim planes.

I Also import the route I'm flying and add the sid/stars and transitions which is helpful when programing the fmc,mcdu

Its a 9 out of 10 product in my opinion 

Edited by tooting
  • Like 1

14ppkc-6.png

I have known and used FSNavigator, which was excellent at its time. I can tell you exactly, why I do not use the sucessor FStramp: It's not because of the price but because the author dedicately refuses (yes, I asked him) to make it network-enabled.

I use FSFlightControl which I can display on my 2nd machine and which I am happy with. But even if you find FSFlightControl too expensive, there are freeware alternatives working over a network.

Would it have been network-enabled, I might well use it. Its functions and display are quite nice. 

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I don't use it (and I suspect many others don't) because of the subscription pricing. With good freeware options out there I can use the money saved for planes and scenery which is more worth it for me.

• Like 1

I downloaded the demo and tried it out. For me and my predilections, using Skyvector, ADDS, filling out a navlog and manually putting the flightplan into GPS is a more accurate simulation of the real world procedures. 

Little NavMap is a direct feature-to-feature competitor to FSTramp and is free to use without cost (although a little donation to the developer is a great thing).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Henry Street said:

I downloaded the demo and tried it out. For me and my predilections, using Skyvector, ADDS, filling out a navlog and manually putting the flightplan into GPS is a more accurate simulation of the real world procedures. 

Little NavMap is a direct feature-to-feature competitor to FSTramp and is free to use without cost (although a little donation to the developer is a great thing).

I'll second the vote for Little NavMap.  Free (I agree that a small donation is warranted) and the developer is very responsive.

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

Took one look at the pricing model and just walked away. Sorry just a big turn off. 😬

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, deetee said:

Took one look at the pricing model and just walked away. Sorry just a big turn off. 😬

Absolutely.  The only big thing in its favour is it supports XP11; probably justifying it's price if one off, but not every eighteen months.  I see it's written by the same guy, who has just edited his FS Nav website to suit.

I agree that FS Tramp pricing policy is terrible. If someone would like to know the reason why FS Tramp is not so popular, you have the reason now. If I was its developer I would take a look at his price policy right away.

Cheers, Ed

• Like 1

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

2 hours ago, Skywolf said:

I have always wondered...what is the name all about.  The Tramp part is well....you know.  Boggles my mind

Yeah, I always wondered the same. First time I saw the name I wondered what type of utility it could be with a name like that. Perhaps the developer is not American and tramp has a different meaning for them. Still, seems like a weird name for a flight sim utility.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Technically the tramp part is not all bad in that it essentially refers to always roaming, or going place to place; 'nomad' may have been a better term because of slang usage.

But that limited license, no way, we cannot let that policy be successful, because it is NOT justified even slightly. No human has any control over when updates are going to be done if at all; what if he gets badly injured or dies the day after you purchase a 4 year license, then what? 

MS is doing the same kind of thing with office; just think if it became the norm...🤢🤮

• Like 3