turner112

WiFi connection keeps dropping (iPad)

I'm a newbie on this one. 

How do you assign a static IP address?  

Thanks,

Rich Boll

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

Depends on a lot of things.  If you are in an area that's densely populated (e.g. apartment block, subdivision with tightly-packed smaller houses etc) then saturation of the relative few wifi channels can be an issue.  If you see a large number of available connections listed when you pull up the WiFi page on your iPad, that should give you an idea of how many others are on those channels.  If you have a neighbor streaming movies over WiFi, you're competing with that...You could try moving your iPad to 802.11a (5 GHz) if your router supports it.  Also, proximity and signal strength are important...if your router is on the other end of the house and the signal has to pass through walls, AC ducts etc, then either moving the router closer or putting in a signal booster or repeater might help a lot.  I helped my son with his WiFi last year...we relocated his router in the house (by only 30-40 ft) and he saw much improved connection stability and wifi speeds more than doubled.

The static IP will help by preventing renegotiation of the device's IP address with the router's DHCP server, but if that's happening I'd still be looking at one of the other options above to improve the signal between router and device(s).

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

13 minutes ago, richjb2 said:

How do you assign a static IP address? 

You have to configure both the router and the device to use static IP addresses.

First, you have to configure your router for an address reservation for the device.  That generally entails going into the router's configuration pages and specifying the device's hardware MAC address and the IP address you want the device to use (this keeps the DHCP server built into the router from assigning that IP to any other device through its automatic protocol).

Then you have to set the device itself up manually to use that IP address rather than the most common method of automatically negotiating with the router using DHCP for an address.  In an iPad that's in the WiFi page under settings.  Select manual rather than automatic, and configure the device using an IP address in the router's local IP address range (the same one you just configured in the router for that device).

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Thanks Bob!

I appreciate the help, as always!  

Your first post described one of my problems to a tee.  My router is centrally located within the house (good for everyone), however my office and computer are located at the extreme end of the house with several rooms and duct work intervening. I had to have the cable company install a booster in my office, but only helps my computer since it's now hardwired.

I use an older iPad 2 as my FMS with the Simserver app. I've some firewall issues, which I believe are resolved.  But recently, I'm having some slow connection problems that I don't think are related to the firewall (Norton) because I can connect, it just the connection is very slow at times.

This older iPad works good because I have microphone music stand attachment that allows it to sit right next to the throttles, like the real airplane. My new iPad I use for charts and stuff. 

Thanks for your help!

Anything new on Tin Mouse? 🙂

Rich 

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS