Sign in to follow this  
eslader

Why does the pushback tractor do this - 747QOTSII

I've observed this odd behavior several times now. I'll get the pushback, everything goes fine, but then after release and engine start the tractor starts slaloming back and forth in reverse while moving slowly toward the opposite of the tail direction (so if I push back to the left, the tractor will start weaving diagonally away from the plane to cockpit right, and vice versa). It usually ends up hanging out on an adjacent taxiway, often the one I need to take. It keeps weaving back and forth across the taxiway, and several times now it's run into me as I'm trying to avoid it - it almost seems to target me because I'll watch it weaving around for awhile, and then aim for a point that it's not hitting, and then sure enough it hits me as I'm passing it -- and a crash gets detected even though I have vehicle collisions turned off. I've even tried dodging around the thing on the grass, but it still hits me. The only way to avoid it is if I go straight until I'm well past it, but at some airports that puts me well into the grass.

Why doesn't it just return to the stand, or if that's not possible, just vanish? This has happened at several airports including KMSP and KABQ.

FSX-SE. 

9 minutes ago, eslader said:

I've observed this odd behavior several times now. I'll get the pushback, everything goes fine, but then after release and engine start the tractor starts slaloming back and forth in reverse while moving slowly toward the opposite of the tail direction (so if I push back to the left, the tractor will start weaving diagonally away from the plane to cockpit right, and vice versa). It usually ends up hanging out on an adjacent taxiway, often the one I need to take. It keeps weaving back and forth across the taxiway, and several times now it's run into me as I'm trying to avoid it - it almost seems to target me because I'll watch it weaving around for awhile, and then aim for a point that it's not hitting, and then sure enough it hits me as I'm passing it -- and a crash gets detected even though I have vehicle collisions turned off. I've even tried dodging around the thing on the grass, but it still hits me. The only way to avoid it is if I go straight until I'm well past it, but at some airports that puts me well into the grass.

Why doesn't it just return to the stand, or if that's not possible, just vanish? This has happened at several airports including KMSP and KABQ.

FSX-SE. 

What program are you using for push back? We do not have our own push back tractor so not sure if we can assist. Most probably something wrong with the airport ADE file.

If you are using a 3rd party push back program better check on their support.

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

1 minute ago, Olympic260 said:

What program are you using for push back? We do not have our own push back tractor so not sure if we can assist. Most probably something wrong with the airport ADE file.

If you are using a 3rd party push back program better check on their support.

Huh. I haven't added any 3rd party pushback program. I'm just triggering pushback from the FMS - I haven't noticed that tug on other aircraft, so I assumed it was yours. Guess I'll have to do more digging. Thanks for the quick reply!

Just now, eslader said:

Huh. I haven't added any 3rd party pushback program. I'm just triggering pushback from the FMS - I haven't noticed that tug on other aircraft, so I assumed it was yours. Guess I'll have to do more digging. Thanks for the quick reply!

I just did a push back from the FMC and couldn't see any tug. Out of curiosity which 744 version you have? Open the operations Center select the 747 then version. What is the version number there?

Chris Makris

30 minutes ago, eslader said:

You are on the latest one. Definitely not our truck there.

BTW real names in the forum, first and last, please as per rules.

Edited by Olympic260

Chris Makris

Wonder if it's something Orbx is doing. I'll keep digging. Thanks for the help.

(signature should be fixed now)

Sounds like normal behavior under certain conditions for GSX to me... I just observed similar behavior but as said it is due to the way the AF file has laid out the apron or taxi paths.

Dan Downs KCRP

Some good advice anyway: turn off any crash detection, not only vehicle collision... it acts completely ridiculous. Unrealistic at its best. 

Sorry I can’t be of any help. However many thanks for the amusing sequence of events, now firmly built in my mind 🤣. Looks like that dude that mounted an MD80 wing in ATL found a job in MSP as a tug driver 👍🏽

Xander Koote

All round aviation geek

1st Officer Boeing 777

On 8/25/2018 at 3:13 PM, Olympic260 said:

We do not have our own push back tractor so not sure if we can assist.

Any chance you disabled airport vehicles and it's the default one for him?

Cheers Henrik K.

IT Student, future ATPL holder, Freight forwarder air cargo and thx to COVID no longer a Ramp Agent at EDDL/DUS+ | FS2Crew Beta tester (&Voice Actor) for the FSlabs and UGCX

Sim: Prepar3d V4.5 Rig: CPU R7-5800X | RAM: 32GB DDR4-3000 | GPU: GTX 3080 | TFT: DELL 3840x1600

ugcx_beta_team.png 3ePa8Yp.png

1 minute ago, 30K said:

Any chance you disabled airport vehicles and it's the default one for him?

I have the vehicles disabled for normal ops, but I enabled them when he reported and had no push back tug as well. Even if it was the default vehicle push back truck this behavior is tied with the airport AFCAD/ADE file

Chris Makris

7 hours ago, xkoote said:

Sorry I can’t be of any help. However many thanks for the amusing sequence of events, now firmly built in my mind 🤣. Looks like that dude that mounted an MD80 wing in ATL found a job in MSP as a tug driver 👍🏽

Hey, delighted I could entertain you! I do think it's Orbx. Apparently they simulate drunk ground crew really well. 😉 

@Ephedrin yeah, I've always been reluctant to turn off all crash detection because slamming into the ground and just bouncing off is not exactly realistic. But after my nosegear sank through the runway at SFO last night I decided to do it anyway. Good tip.

3 hours ago, eslader said:

I've always been reluctant to turn off all crash detection because slamming into the ground and just bouncing off is not exactly realistic.

Neither is colliding into an invisible wall.

• Like 2

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Quite true. It's off. And I figured out what the problem was. Somehow Orbx installed its updated airport over the default airport without turning the default airport off. So there were two taxiways, one on top of the other, in slightly different positions from each other, and the pushback tug was getting confused and wandering between the two.

FSX: If it's not one thing, it's another. 😉

• Like 1