Sign in to follow this  
jt_williams

Stikine Backcountry (Redux)

It's recycling time again.  This flight was first done in June 2015.  

On 6/1/2015 at 7:33 PM, jt_williams said:

Stikine Backcountry - Mountains, Mines, Canyons, & Glaciers

Route Description (336nm)

Departing from Wrangell (PAWG) the route proceeds north to the southern shore of the south arm of the Stikine River where it empties into the Eastern Passage. We will pass over several cabins as the route continues to the entrance to Shakes Lake. The route takes a short diversion to Shakes Lake where the Shakes Glacier flows down from the Ice Fields of the Coastal Range. After Shakes, the route follows the Stikine River as it turns sharply to the north. A few miles further on, the route turns east and follows the Iskut River. The first stop in the route is Bronson Creek, a landing strip used for the Snip Mine. The route continues to follow the Iskut River past the junction of Kerr Creek where the Iskut turns to the north. The next stop is Bob Quinn Lake. Leaving Bob Quinn Lake the route is northwest across the Iskut river to Moro Creek and follows that drainage up until you reach the head waters of Mess Creek. Leaving Mess Creek valley, the route crosses a low pass below Mount Hickman, then follows Schaft Creek downstream to the next landing at the Schaft Creek Airstrip (this is the most difficult airstrip in the route) .  Departing Schaft Creek the route turns northeast passing over Mess Creek towards Mt Edziza for 45nm to Iskut Village Airstrip.   From Iskut village we fly north and west back to the Stikine River and then the route follows the Grand Canyon of the Stikine to Telegraph Creek airstrip for the next landing. From Telegraph Creek follow the Stikine River to Yehiniko Creek. Follow this tributary up to Yehiniko Lake and the next landing strip. From the Yehiniko Lake airstrip follow the side valley up to the glacier and climb up to the saddle and follow the glacier down the other side of saddle to its junction with the much larger Scud Glacier. Follow the Scud Glacier south and down to its terminus, the follow the Scud River south, then east as the river turns sharply. Look for the Galore Creek Canyon on the south side which joins soon after the Scud River turns east. Follow Galore Creek and land at the land at either Galore Creek Mine airstrip (yes, there are two) and admire the impressive mountain scenery on all sides. Departing Galore Creek Mine reverse the route back to the Scud River and turn east and follow the canyon down to the junction with the Stikine River and land at the Scud River Mine airstrip located on the valley floor. Leaving the Scud River Mine airstrip follow the northern most western side canyon up to the glacier and then follow the glacier up over the saddle to the large ice fields. Find and follow the Baird Glacier down from the ice fields approximately 20 miles down to Thomas Bay. From Thomas Bay fly south approximately 20 miles and land at the final destination Petersburg airport (PAPG).

Tongass%2B2%2Broute.jpg

Tongass 2 - Skyvector

Aircraft Recommendations: The length of this route will require an aircraft capable of 200knts+ speed and able to cope with rough, moderately short runways. There are wide variety of aircraft that will work. An excellent choice would be the Pilatus PC-12, or a warbird such as the A2A P40 Kittyhawk.  I will be flying Ant’s T28 Trojan.  

Required scenery:

The Tongass Fjords X scenery (payware) will be needed to enjoy this tour.    FSAddon Tongass Fjords X

Recommended scenery:

The Return to Misty Moorings site has many fine freeware enhancements to Alaska that cover the Tongass Fjords X, Orbx Pacific Fjords and Orbx Southern Alaska regions. 

The developers at Misty Moorings have recently updated all of the required freeware scenery libraries to be DX10 compliant.  The first step is to download and install Part I, Part II and Part III of the RTMM Required Object LibrariesFSXP3D.  Read the general instructions provided in each part as well as any specific library instructions. Follow the directions provided carefully to install and activate the libraries. 

http://www.return.mi...es_build/#links

Once you have installed the libraries you should install the following Misty Morring scenery addons. The Misty Morring sceneries can be installed into a single common directory which will simplify scenery management.

There is only one Misty Moorings scenery for this tour and it is NOT mandatory.

Iskut Village

The Link below contains a zip file with FSX & Plan G flight plans and the Narrative for this Tour

Flightplan & Narrative

Date and time: Saturday 1st September 2018, 1800 UTC

Where: AVSIM RTWR Teamspeak - Casual Flights Channel

Teamspeak Server Address: ts.teamavsim.com

Multiplayer: FSX Multiplayer (IP will be provided on Teamspeak)

Don't forget to enter your aircraft details on the multiplayer speadsheet! (linked here)

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

Nice to see you're doing something to save the planet. 👍 T28 eh? Why not.

• Upvote 1

How long does it take for 'smug' to wear off after buying an EV?

"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled". Whoever said it wasn't wrong!

Stikine Backcountry NOTAM

Real Time weather could present problems flying through the interior mountains.  I recommend that you use a fair weather theme or for those with Active Sky:

Set Historical Dynamic: June 16, 2018 1200UTC

Departing Wrangell Set Sim Time to 16:30 local.    This should get us into Petersburg before dark.  Petersburg is well light so if we are a bit late it will not matter.

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

The Tongass Fjords scenery works correctly in P3Dv4.3?

I've read this scenery was fantastic in FSX...it seems to have an almost cult following.

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

12 minutes ago, somiller said:

The Tongass Fjords scenery works correctly in P3Dv4.3?

I've read this scenery was fantastic in FSX...it seems to have an almost cult following.

Tongass Fjords deserves all the praise it has received from the community.  Holger Sandman was the principal designer and he created something very special. It fills gap between Orbx Southern Alaska and Orbx Pacific Fjords.   It takes some doing getting it into P3D but it does work.  The definitive how to guide is here:

26aLetj.png

Jeff,

Thanks for the timely reply. Sounds complicated, so I doubt I'll get it done for the flight tomorrow. I'm hoping it won't be a complete disaster trying this flight without Tongass and the Misty Moorings scenery.

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

Last day with the grandkids, before they fly back to London later today.

Too bad, sounds like a great flight  :unsure:

Bert

21 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

sounds like a great flight 

It was. Even getting lost was enjoyable. :smile:

How long does it take for 'smug' to wear off after buying an EV?

"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled". Whoever said it wasn't wrong!

On 8/31/2018 at 8:23 PM, somiller said:

Jeff,

Thanks for the timely reply. Sounds complicated, so I doubt I'll get it done for the flight tomorrow. I'm hoping it won't be a complete disaster trying this flight without Tongass and the Misty Moorings scenery.

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

Nice shots of this colorful group!

Gunter.png?dl=1

Regards

Gunter Schneider