Sign in to follow this  
Mr.midnight

onedrive and w10

hello Folks, im wondering about onedrive.

i run a network with fsx se and since i upgraded to w10, nothing but problems in getting files shared and so forth.

Im hearing some good things about onedrive, 

Can i use ondrive to share files between computers, meaning having FSX on one machine, and PRO ATC , Activesky on another.

The same way you share files the usual way. right now w10 seems a little weird in how to save files. in fact i had to do a go around for the files to even

show up.

So the main question is will Onedrive work in that way.

Thx..................RobertC

Hi

Had exactly this problem when I upgraded to Win10 on both computers. Spent weeks on and off trying to figure out why I couldn’t  just use explorer both ways as before. Eventually found the answer - MS have changed the system that we have been using in every other incarnation of windows as (they suggest) that system is now redundant!

Anyway found a trick that worked for me here

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4034314/smbv1-is-not-installed-by-default-in-windows

See the section under Explorer Netwok Browsing

Good luck

John Rooum

Fod, thanks for the reply, i did just that yesterday.

Going into services and starting FDPhost and start.

here is what is going on.

On the Main Server running FSX when i click network, i can see my server name (Wolverine) and the client name (Milkcrate).  I can click on Wolverine and it will open all files shared. But when i click on Milkcrate i get this error.

Network Error

Windows cannot access \\Milkcrate2

Check for spelling of the name. Otherwise there might be a problem with your network. To

try to identify and resolve network problems, click Diagnose.

On the client machine(milkcrate) when i click network Wolverine and milkcrate will appear and i can go into both of them with no problems.

The FDPHost fixed that problem of not seeing any files on any computer, it just did not correct the problem with the  server not opening milkcrate.

All my problems started with the upgrade to W10.

So i need a fix to get to my client from the server and not the other way around.

That is why i ask about Onedrive. I have been at this for a week now and im really wanting to get back to flying.

Thanks........RobertC

Do things change round depending on which computer you boot up first? I had this and found references to a Master Browser concept which was based on which system “led” in establishing the connection.

And then, of course, there is the comment I saw that MS believe that as long as all drives are mapped, you do not need explorer displaying the network .........

John

Hmm, but can you map a drive that you cannot even see on the main server.

Which one do i map the server or the client.

or is there a way to map around all this mess. im really frustrated. this is ridiculous for Microsoft putting you through  all this crap.   it seems like all they do is move crap around to keep you stupid. 

Windows 10 for me is causing nothing but huge problems that which should be simple.

i have been all over the place fixing this and changing that. starting this and starting that.

And all i want to do is load anything at this point.

i was enjoying great flight time until i decided to upgrade and all went south.

THX......................................RobertC

Well folks, i guess for me to get back to flying, i must go back to w7 to enjoy this hobby.

So now the whole #$%$#$$ drive is now gone, have no clue how to get it back or where it went.

i tried mapping by using the real client address and  got the same dead old error.

So thanks folks.for your help.  it appears that im not going to make this work.

Windows 10 is a joke.

it all started with version 1803 , going back to 1709  is what I did

homegroup is no longer supported from 1803

Thanks for the reply, hmmm seams like you folks are saying that 1803 update does not allow for sharing files anymore.

is there not a way around this.  to go back to W7 or to  roll back seems a desperate way to just save six files

across just two computers, in the privacy of my home.

If thats what i got to do so be it. 

Thx...........RobertC

Robert

Both my win 10 are fully updated and with the above tweaks I am able to share across both pc (and a Mac). And going back to Win7 was on my mind!! However I noticed something on your earlier post 

“On the Main Server running FSX when i click network, i can see my server name (Wolverine) and the client name (Milkcrate).  I can click on Wolverine and it will open all files shared. But when i click on Milkcrate i get this error.

Network Error

Windows cannot access \\Milkcrate2

Check for spelling of the name.”

Looks to me as though you have two names for you client pc - and your server is looking for the wrong one? Might be worth having a look at the client pc’s names

john

Don't remember the details but had same problem and the solution was related to disable the password in windows 10. Which is not an obvious thing to do either. It is possible because I have my win7 and win10 talking to each other today.

Joel Pacheco

X-plane 11.5, i7 4790k OC 4.8GHz (1.330V) - Nvidia GTX 1080ti - Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 - Corsair Hydro Series H115i - Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz DDR3 CL10 - Samsung 860 EVO SSD 500Gb  - Windows 10 Pro - HP Reverb G2 

Well Folks, after many hours of research trying to find a solution, i finally found a website that fixes the problem.

Which was with the upgrade to W10 version 1809, things have changed on how files are save. No Homegroup.

files disapearing and not showing up at all.

This website if followed exactly you will completely solve that problem if your running version 1809 W10.

Thanks folks for your help, and i hope this helps.

THX.................................................RobertC

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/connecting-pcs-and-users-for-sharing/fb92e439-5dbc-4367-9857-1ef360e9ffdf?tm=1526075480575 

Windows 10 October update is said to bring sheared clip board allowing you to shear files on windows 10 devices and a new note pad, that's  if you do not block windows updates.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg