Sign in to follow this  
Jeff Nielsen

And so it begins...

Greetings, fellow simmers. I'm walking on cloud 9 tonight. Just came off my first hour of dual instruction in a C172. After 6 years 'simming and wishing I was "up there", I'm finally embarking this year on my real training. Already my instructor was impressed with how well I knew my way around the airplane (thanks, Flight1) and commented that I seemed to be at home in the cockpit. I'm feeling like all those bucks spent on FS weren't in vain now, for sure. I was amazed at the amount of sensory information the plane gives you compared to the fairly sterile environment on the computer, but I have to say that all that time spent flying around my home area of Portland, OR in FS prepared me well for being in the real version of the same area. I was able to navigate about without too much difficulty.Anyway, count me in as another 'simmer that was pushed by his digital experiences to make them real! I can see what all the fuss is about now!thanks,

Guest glnflwrs

Congratulations Bill!!!You'll never regret the endeavor you've begun. Many times during the training, but especially after a successful checkflight you will enjoy a sense of accomplishment unlike any other. I guess it comes from succeeding in attaining a goal that is so enjoyable to work at.Anyway, keep the pointed end forward!Glenn'Maintain thy airspeed, lest the ground rise up and smite thee.'

Guest Divergent Phugoid

Congrats!! Unbeatable ain't it? :) I really believe that knowledgable simmers will find learning to fly a reasonably straightforward process. My only item of cautionary advice is be prepared to start to forget many of the techniques that simming encourages.Have fun man!

Congratulations Bill!I hope you have many enjoyable and most importantly, safe, flights.Take good care of that little Cessna 172 - I hope to be also flying in it some day soon (as soon as I can get the finances together to take lessons).John

Guest Ken_Salter

Great news! Wait 'till you start doing stalls and slow flight - much fun! And then there are the landings....

Good job Bill! Yes, it still is a bit different because you don't have all that info you have on the PC...LOL.

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply