Sign in to follow this  
Jeff Nielsen

Stutters Cured-Simple Solution-Lesson Learned!

15 minutes ago, w6kd said:

I think of it like people that put high-octane gas into a vehicle, believing it will enhance performance, and not understanding what effect the higher octane actually has...resulting in very expensive exhaust with no performance boost in vehicles that don't actually need it.

And... overheating in this case.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

11 hours ago, Jeff Nielsen said:

Not sure what you mean.  Don't remove P3D from core 0 and 1.  Sorry if that wasn't clear.  I say 'your mileage may vary or system dependent', because there's always someone that's going to have the opposite experience.

SteveW told me along time ago on 4 core with no HT, start all your background programs first then take those off cores 0 and 1. The  run P3D on all 4 cores. TrackIR can be put on core 1 if stuttering. 

Eric 

5 hours ago, w6kd said:

So if you don't feel like you have that kind of in-depth knowledge on how P3D handles multithreading on a multi-core CPU (with or without HT enabled), then no AM is probably the best answer, because if you mess with it without knowing what you're doing, you're either going to choose the wrong value, or be left to experiment trial-and-error without really knowing why a particular value may work now, but not later when something else changes.

10 hours ago, pmb said:

I get more and more confused.

Me too. Last week I gave AM another try. Did various tests with it but in the end I still didn't have a clue what the heck I was doing and how to proceed. So I agree with w6kd's advice: don't fool around with any of that stuff unless you know what you are doing. Yesterday I also read that LM advices to not use AM anymore so that settled it for me. And now I also read in this topic that some advice to not use AM... 

Seriously, after a few days of tweaking with P3D (after a long time of not doing so) I am back to simply playing with the sliders in the settings menu's and accepting whatever I can get with my hardware. Which in my case means I fly in P3D without any autogen, no water effects, only aircraft + clouds shadows, etc. which is perfectly fine because I only fly on instruments in this sim anyway. At least this gives me an fps of between 40 and 60 where I fly. If I want nice scenery and butter smooth performance I'll fire up Aerofly FS 2. 😉 

I am more done than ever with tweaking P3D.

6 hours ago, evaamo said:

Those of you running P3D 4.3 with frame rate setting on unlimited... how are you dealing with blurries?

I very rarely see blurries using Landclass Scenery and even ORBX TrueEarth looks pretty clear, why ever. Blurries are usually a result of CPU limitation and can't be cured by reducing shadows, de/activating high-res textures or such, or even switching to a better GPU. I find it helpful to run Prepar3d with process priority set to high. Can be set using SimStarter, Process Lasso, or even a simple batch file.

Photo Scenery in general is another story, but I gather the impression (according to LM on their forum) there is a deeper issue in Prepar3d4.x which can't be cured from the user's side.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11