Sign in to follow this  
Treetops45

The Invisible Curtiss-Jenny, (almost)

The Freeware Ford Tri-Motor project had quite a few other aircraft in there. 

It was aimed primarily at FSX, but I did manage to get the Curtiss-Jenny running in P3D v3.

I tried again today in P3D v4 & found the following:

- The aircraft loads, but is invisible

- There is engine  sound that changes with throttle movement

- It can take off & flies around quite sedately, with all external views of the aircraft being invisible.

- However, there is 1, & only 1, view that shows up:  Cockpit View, looking straight ahead from the pilot's perspective, showing dashboard & gauges, & the scenery out in front of the aircraft

I have hunted around in aircraft.cfg, but cannot spot that View's coding.

I know it wasn't designed for 64 bit, however I am curious whether any code fiddling could make more of it "appear" by putting View codes into aircraft.cfg?

T45

Originally this was the default FS9 Jenny made compatible for FSX. So given that 32 bit heritage, I don't know if it can be made to work in P3Dv4.

Still, try deleting your Shaders folder (or if you prefer, cut and paste it to a secure location), and let P3Dv4 rebuild a new folder when you start up. I've had that work before fixing another old plane I was trying to port to P3Dv4  that was invisible on the outside.

Hope that helps - Bob

Never mind my suggestion to delete the Shaders folder; I tried downloading and installing, and the Jenny came out invisible for me as well. I didn't even get a visible cockpit. I think the plane is just too old to be rendered properly by P3Dv4,

There are other two seat biplanes that work very well in P3Dv4. Ant's freeware Tiger Moth comes to mind (one of my favorite biplanes), and any of the Golden Age Simulation (GAS) native FSX biplanes port very well to P3Dv4. Any of Tim ("Piglet") Conrad's freeware FSX biplanes also port well to P3Dv4.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help - Bob

Edited by BBCM

Appreciate your input Bob.

I have the Tiger Moth & GAS do port well. Must look for TPC material, that is new to me.

T45

The Tim Conrad two seat biplane I was thinking of was his FSX SP2 Waco UPF-7. But he did a lot of other freeware planes for other eras/categories as well. 

- Bob