Sign in to follow this  
Johnic

Help buying VR setup

I'm completely new to VR and serious flight sim, I own a VR Oculus Go and I'm hooked on VR now. I'm also a Private helicopter pilot and obviously into aviation to the point I want to experience all types of flight in VR. I did play around with some flight sim stuff years ago but its come a long way.

I need help with spec a VR goggle and computer along with any other controls to get me going.

Thanks

That's a can of worms you've opened there John. I'm two weeks in owning an Oculus Rift and I'm just about coming to terms with it. No going back though. Go on Oculus website and download their little program that will tell you if your machine is good to go or if it's crap. :biggrin: It tells you if your video card is OK USB ports etc.

EDIT: Oh, and welcome to the forum

How long does it take for 'smug' to wear off after buying an EV?

"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled". Whoever said it wasn't wrong!

@OP,

Here is a sample list:

$1500 PC - 4 -> 6 core Intel 8700K running at 4.5 Ghz, 16 gb >2000Mhz RAM, 1TB SSD, Windows 10 + Nvidia 1080 video card

$467 Oculus Rift + Touch controllers + Sensor

$150 Joystick (Thrustmaster or equiv) + rudder pedals

If you want to fly helicopters in VR, you need high performance

Best Wishes

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

15 minutes ago, whitav8 said:

@OP,

Here is a sample list:

$1500 PC - 4 -> 6 core Intel 8700K running at 4.5 Ghz, 16 gb >2000Mhz RAM, 1TB SSD, Windows 10 + Nvidia 1080 video card

$467 Oculus Rift + Touch controllers + Sensor

$150 Joystick (Thrustmaster or equiv) + rudder pedals

If you want to fly helicopters in VR, you need high performance

Best Wishes

Got it....Saving up for a good PC with the above components. 

@whitav8 is spot on.  Here's my spin:

1. Use https://pcpartpicker.com/ to find prices if you're willing to build (just do it).  They also have a "Build Guide" to help you out - tremendously useful.

2. If you can wait a bit, the newer nvidia RTX cards will have much better VR performance.

3. I went the oculus rift route after trying a vive and reading a lot about the competitors, and very happy I did - the biggest drawback with the early generation headset was the screen door effect -SDE.  I feel like the vive oriented the "screen door" vertically, which makes it easier to see or perceive despite the higher resolution, whereas the oculus is angled a bit so it's not as obvious - someone correct me if I'm off, but I love it!

Once you're settled, get a copy of IL2-BoX - best VR combat sim experience there is!

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

1 hour ago, Gridley said:

@whitav8 is spot on.  Here's my spin:

1. Use https://pcpartpicker.com/ to find prices if you're willing to build (just do it).  They also have a "Build Guide" to help you out - tremendously useful.

2. If you can wait a bit, the newer nvidia RTX cards will have much better VR performance.

3. I went the oculus rift route after trying a vive and reading a lot about the competitors, and very happy I did - the biggest drawback with the early generation headset was the screen door effect -SDE.  I feel like the vive oriented the "screen door" vertically, which makes it easier to see or perceive despite the higher resolution, whereas the oculus is angled a bit so it's not as obvious - someone correct me if I'm off, but I love it!

Once you're settled, get a copy of IL2-BoX - best VR combat sim experience there is!

Awesome. Im checking out the pc builders site now.

my setup is perfectly fine for p3dv4 helicopters over complex orbx scenery with good wx depiction.  helicopters are relatively light compared to complex tubeliner models so can get good fps in vr.

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

You mite want to check out the vive  pro, it is on the expensive side but well worth the money in my opinion.

And if you have the extra cash look at the thrustmaster warthog for joy stick best one i have ever owned in 30 + yeas of simming.

Regards Ted Kiser

Does anyone argue the point that it might be worth waiting for the Pimax 8k with one of the next gen cards for a decent resolution on P3D or even DCS? I pretty interested in this as being the way forward but I'm led to believe the resolution on the currently available options leaves a little too much to be desired, especially if you're interested in reading detailed gauges.

On 9/4/2018 at 12:14 PM, aidanlegras said:

Does anyone argue the point that it might be worth waiting for the Pimax 8k with one of the next gen cards for a decent resolution on P3D or even DCS? I pretty interested in this as being the way forward but I'm led to believe the resolution on the currently available options leaves a little too much to be desired, especially if you're interested in reading detailed gauges.

Depends how much money you have got. If you are rich, you can buy now and upgrade later. If you are tight, Rift/Vive resolution is good enough with a 1080 even when the 8k shows up because the price of first gen VR should continue to drop.

"Good enough" means you can read most things with supersampling in GA aircraft perhaps not in the really big tubeliners.

Ideally Vive pro/samsung galaxy resolutions are preferred because they will do everything in flightsim with reasonable clarity.

Edited by glider1

8 hours ago, glider1 said:

Depends how much money you have got. If you are rich, you can buy now and upgrade later. If you are tight, Rift/Vive resolution is good enough with a 1080 even when the 8k shows up because the price of first gen VR should continue to drop.

"Good enough" means you can read most things with supersampling in GA aircraft perhaps not in the really big tubeliners.

Ideally Vive pro/samsung galaxy resolutions are preferred because they will do everything in flightsim with reasonable clarity.

Thanks very much for that glider1, I am indeed using a tubeliner for some RW proficiency training and looking towards DCS for a bit of fun in a Hornet too. I’ve heard a number of people talk about the resolution with far off gauges as being a bit of a problem to read. 

It’s going to be interesting to hear what the testers say when the NDA is released, hopefully one or two of the testers would have looked at either DCS or P3D. I guess we’ll see.........eventually.