Sign in to follow this  
Trans_27 Pilot Chase

Uninstalled FS today

I was flying the PMDG 747 last night EGLL-KJFK with ASV6 and Flight Keeper running in the background. The flight was going pretty will, I'd just passed Newfoundland and was approaching Halifax when I got an out of memory error from FS9. To say I was mildly annoyed was an understatment. I turned my machine off and went to do something else for a while. Later on it occured to me - FS as a hobby is no longer any fun for me...It used to be I enjoyed loading up FS and learning to fly new aircraft or new procedures. Now I load up FS knowing I will get inconsistent framerates. It's a chore loading weather via ASV6, then FSBuild, exporting flightplans, then loading FS, loading the aircraft, configuring the panel, refreshing weather, etc etc. Then, "Oh no! I forgot to load the flight plan into FS, or I forgot to load the AI seperation programme." I get all this done, only to get an error message and CTD just as I'm ready to start the engines.It's just no fun for me any more, I don't get any enjoyment from FS as a hobby now. The endless tweaking, setting things up, checking forums for updates, and the end result is me sitting in front of my monitor as my virtual 747 chugs along the runway at 9fps.I totally unistalled FS today, FS Global Mesh... gone. UT... gone. GE Pro... gone. ASV6... gone. PMDG 737 and 747... gone. Level D 767.. gone. PSS 777... gone. SST Sim Concorde... gone.It's kind of sad for me, I've been flying flight sims for about 18 years now and MSFS for the last 7 years. I intend to indulge my enthusiasm for flight simulation with other stuff such as IL2 Forgotten Battles, Falcon 4 Allied Force, and Lock On - all of which run fluidly and perfectly stable on my system.Maybe I'll revisit MSFS when FSX is released and see what it has to offer, but I'm not holding my breath.Does anyone else feel the same as me?

Guest Rockcliffe

Simplify. Simplify. Simplify.I reinstalled FS9 about a month ago and seem to have spent most of my time since then trying to get it back to where it was. Frustrating.Then, today, I jumped in the DF Archer on Vancouver Island and flew VFR over the mountains to the mainland using nothing but the VFR chart. It was totally pleasant and totally immersive.My FS theory is that there is an irresistable tendency to install addon after addon until the frame rates tank and it the sim becomes completely bogged down. That's why I reinstalled in the first place, to streamline the sim.RegardsBlairCYOW

What are your system specs and how many add-ons are you running at the same time? It's hard to fault the program if the system is getting overloaded.As for setting up flights, maybe the default aircraft and flight planner are what you're looking for. All the add-ons you listed require a bit of effort to use and are there for the function of getting a realistic experience out of the sim. If you think that you can jump into a modern airliner and get it going in 5 minutes without planning, you're wrong. Maybe your CTD's are due to a configuration error or something wromg with your system as I have much the same add-ons and everything runs fine. It's easy to blame the software but the system has a lot to do with it as well.Cheers,JohnBoeing 727/737 & Lockheed C-130/L-100 Mechanichttp://www.sstsim.com/images/team/JR.jpg

Guest Tingoose

If that's the first time you've felt like that in 18 years you've done well. I'm a relative newcomer (4 years) and have experienced that FS despair as you describe 3 times:-(. Each time though, after a short break I find that the urge to return comes back. And each time I start with a basic install of FS9.1 and add my most liked addons first, keeping things simple as the post above suggests. Still, I have to admit that even at the best of times in FS the 'virtual' nature of this activity bothers me at times. It lacks 'reality' for obvious reasons. After all it is just ones and noughts. 'The phrase "you should get out more" comes to mind.:-) Enjoy it but try not to take it too seriously.

Guest Mike_Luchia

The best cure for problems I have ever found, instead of having to do an uninstall and reinstall is to install the basic FS9 and then the FS9.1 update, load it up once, exit then make a copy of the entire FS9 dir and files. Next time I run into problems, all I have to do is copy over the backup on the original and all files are new again. That along with renaming the fs9.cfg and rebuilding a new one, has kept me from ever having to uninstall and reinstall to fix any problems.

At the time of that flight I was running FS9 with FS Global mesh, UT, GE Pro, ASV6 and the PMDG 747 (obviously). I also had FS Flight Keeper running in the background. My system is a laptop with a Pentium M 750, 2GB RAM, and a 256MB Geforce 6800Go. Not cutting edge by any means but certainly not a slouch.I like to think I am a fairly accomplished simmer. I can quite easily start all of the addons I mentioned above from cold and dark without any problems, so the problem is not that I'm in over my head.Likewise, the CTD I got yesterday was the first one I have had with this particular system. It's just symptomatic of why I find FS to be totally unenjoyable these days.The holy grail for me at least is a totally immersive flight deck experience, where I can operate all the aircraft's major systems, fly over reasonably accurate terrain, have my flight affected by realistic weather, and interact with realistic ATC. Now in theory we have everything necessary to achieve this with MSFS right now. In practice we end up with a clunky sim that runs with single digit framerates on even a top of the range system.This combined with other factors within the wider FS community have made me feel that I have neither the time nor the inclination to carry on with MSFS. I was really hoping that FSX would bring something new and exciting, but from what I've seen and read it's just a rehashed version of FS9 with a warmed over graphics engine. Hopefully I will be proved wrong and FSX will get me enthusiastic about MSFS again.

>At the time of that flight I was running FS9 with UTUT was the culprit for my out of memory CTD's. Assuming by UT you mean "Ultimate Traffic". Try turning your traffic to 0% and see what happens if it is Ultimate Traffic you are running. I use MT2006 and haven't had a problem since I uninstalled UT...

Guest Blazer

Hi ENG...Yeah...I have been FSimming for 5 years now and I feel the same as you sometimes.My FS is working fine with good frame rates considering I have every major addon, but boredom sets in.My remedy was to purchase and install another addon, but tired of that quickly.I am not going to get radical and uninstall FS but will take a break ( I think)..hahaha..With FSX looming on the horizon and all that will entail...not sure if Im up for the task..(haha)....Life without FS and going through FS withdrawl?????????????..Anyway..Thanks for the posting..Regards...TH

Guest martin842

Try something completely different, like flying a good GA plane around the Caribbean or Polynesia, or a floatplane around Washington and British Columbia, or a flying doctor plane around Australia. There are lots of excellent GA add-ons, and some are procedure-intensive (like the Aeroworx King Air B200) if you still want that sort of thing. And flying a GA instead of your 747 will do wonders for your framerates.Martin

Engine Room, I think you are being a little harsh on MS. Yes, sure, now and again it can crash out and become unstable but in my experience this is almost always because I have asked it to do too much, or because of a hardware problem. Remember what it is - a 50 dollar game! For that you can fly around the world and view fairly realistic scenery, you can fly anything from a Curtiss Jenny to a 747 with extraordinary realism, you can run a simulator within a simulator (AI), and if you want to take it a step further you can build scenery, paint aircraft, modify approaches with a little effort. IMO it is truly amazing.To give you a feel for my kinda flying, here's a selection of what I've been doing in FS9 over the past few weeks:1. I've flown the the length of the Yukon River in a Twin Otter in real weather from the Llewellyn Glacier near Atlin, BC to the Bering Sea at the Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta (the largest river delta in the world as large as the state of Oregon). I stuck to VFR rules and did not fly if I could not see! I used the relevant charts (out-of-date versions are readily available very cheaply from aviation stores) and was amazed at how accurately the sim scenery followed the twists and turns of the river. I landed periodically to refuel, eat, read the poems of Robert Service and the history of the Klondike, and to rest up. I did part of the trip with a mate in multiplayer 4000 miles away! Wow! The sim was as stable as a rock all through. 2. After this I flew a Grumman Goose from Kodiak, Alaska to Reykjavik, Iceland as near the N pole as FS9 allows, again in real weather with stops en route to refuel (takes careful planning). I used dead-reckoning for this with the relevant charts taking into account wind strength and direction just like the early aviators had to do. How realistic was that? I did not use FSNav, or GPS. 3. Next, and for something different, I made AI flight plans for all 'flybe' flights (flybe is a British-owned budget airline operating in eight European countries) scheduled for 3rd August 2006. This involved hundreds of flights using over 30 aircraft. I got the data from the airline's published schedule and I uploaded the files to the Avsim library.Forgive me for reiterating, but IMHO FS9 is a near-miracle. I started flight simming over 30 years ago with a BBC microcomputer and a program called BBC Jumbo. This gave a primitive representation of the approach and landing phases of a 747. There was no scenery, just some figures, an 'ILS' line to track, a throttle, a brake and keyboard controls. I dreamed that one day we would have something like FS9 but never really believed it would be possible. I was wrong! With FSX I think we will go beyond even my wildest dreams... My advice, Engine Room, is to have a rest but don't give up. From what you have written you've only scratched the surface of what FS9 can do. My tuppence-worth!

Supporter.png

John

I feel your pain.FS can be very frustrating and even with a new system with dual core and SLI I have had the same.'Turning point' was reading a thread on here that had a similar complaint. CTD's and memory problems.Since I changed things with the advise given, (Re-assign Anti-Aliasing on your display settings) I have had trouble free flying!I believe that a lot of add-ons now are designed to run as the FS9 is supposed to be, when you change your settings this is where the trouble starts.It worked for me.

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest Tingoose

Mike wrote:". . This combined with other factors within the wider FS community have made me feel that I have neither the time nor the inclination to carry on with MSFS.. . "Yeh, give it a breaK Mike. As I suggested above, leaving it alone and pursuing other interests is the best step for youI IMHO. I bet you'll be coming back to it in a while with renewed enthusiasm. Good luck.:-)

>I totally unistalled FS today, FS Global Mesh... gone. UT...>gone. GE Pro... gone. ASV6... gone. PMDG 737 and 747... gone.>Level D 767.. gone. PSS 777... gone. SST Sim Concorde...>gone.Too much payware :-boom. If you run these programs together you are in for a nightmare :-eek. I only run addon airports and aircraft, plus AI traffic set to 50%. These items alone are enough to bring my PC (3.05 GHz, 256Mb GPU, 1 Gb RAM) computer to its knees :-boom.Addons can kill FS200X. I will run FSX with as FEW addons as possible. Take a break from FS, and all of the payware talk on this forum :). Sometimes I think this forum is becoming a payware discussion forum :-lol