Sign in to follow this  
Trans_27 Pilot Chase

Uninstalled FS today

>Mike wrote:>". . This combined with other factors within the wider FS>community have made me feel that I have neither the time nor>the inclination to carry on with MSFS.. . ">>Yeh, give it a breaK Mike. As I suggested above, leaving it>alone and pursuing other interests is the best step for youI>IMHO. I bet you'll be coming back to it in a while with>renewed enthusiasm. Good luck.:-) If you are talking about Mike Luchia's message he didn't write this! Engineroom did in response to his message (Unless Engineroom is also named Mike!)

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Your problem is Ultimate Terrain and the PMDG 747 (on a long haul). The two addons will always have problems after about 2 to 6 hours with some kind of memory conflict. It has also been known to happen with other memory intensive aircarft like the LDS767 and the PSS777. Neither developer, PMDG or Scenery Solutions knows exactly what the problem is.There is a well known thread "Still Out of Memory" on the Ultimate Terrain support forums directly related to this problem. It's not you or your FS9 installation. Re-isntall everything but UT and you'll be golden. Simple as that. You might want to offload some of your external FS9 progies to a WideFS box to lighten the load on the FS9 PC. This will also work in the FSX environment too. Good luck.

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Guest ThrottleUp

I agree with fellow posters - keep it simple.1. Clean out your computer of all the junk - try the free CCleaner.2. Defrag your disk3. Do a fresh FS9 install4. Put in all your add-on planes5. Put in only your add-on weather program & mesh for a nice sky,terrain, clouds & water.Thats it.Just go fly...use just the default GPS flight plan.The aim is to fly! I was (and still am to some extent) guilty of add-on mania and tweakitus. Im sure most if you reading this have realised that you seem to spend more time loading this, tweaking that, choosing sky colour, choosing a cloud type, exporting a plan, fixing an ILS frequency, editing the plane load...whew.Perhaps one day all of this will be neatly intergrated into the sim so we will have to use just one interface. But thats some time away.Until then ..just GPS plan A to B, get in the thing and go *fly*:)

Guest Tingoose

If you are talking about Mike Luchia's message he didn't write this! Engineroom did in response to his message (Unless Engineroom is also named Mike!)Ooooopsss!!! Sorry, Yes, I did get mixed up there but you get the point. Thanks Tom, or was it Mike? err . . . this flightsim is frying my brain cells.

Al,I am glad to read your thread. Seems every time I fly a long haul into the US with the PMDG744, I get a CTD with no error msg. I too am using UT. This must be the cause. When I fly from the US to Europe with the PMDG 744 I never get a CTD. Odd.

Eric 

"When I fly from the US to Europe with the PMDG 744 I never get a CTD. Odd."Are you using a memory-intensive add-on airport as a destination in the US but not in Europe? Sometimes long-haul flights will complete only to have a OOM CTD occur when on final (10-20 miles from thresh-hold) to a high-end add-on airport. This just amplifies the issue b/w UT and memory-intensive aircraft. It's not swap/cache and it's not the airports. There's a debatable memory limit to what FS9 can handle no matter how much cache you set aside or where, it will eventually CTD. It is a very random intermitant occurance that is almost imposible to trouble-shoot.Just dump UT, or disable all it's features when using high-end memory intensive aircraft, and you'll be lovin' life again until FSX comes out.

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

>Al,>>I am glad to read your thread. Seems every time I fly a long>haul into the US with the PMDG744, I get a CTD with no error>msg. I too am using UT. This must be the cause. When I fly>from the US to Europe with the PMDG 744 I never get a CTD.>Odd.UT isn't the problem, it's the 744. UT just exasperates the situation. I have 2GB memory and the only time I show I'm using 1GB+ is when I'm flying the Queen! If you only have 1GB mem try increasing your virtual memory and make it a fixed size!! It should normally be set with 2X the amount of physical memory or 2GB for a 1GB system!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

You can do all the swap settings you want, it won't make a darn bit of difference in this situation. Been there, done that for numerous re-installs for several months on both 32 and 64 bit systems. It is a combatibility issue in FS9, period. Granted, all the memory-intensive aircraft suck up the RAM but when combined with UT, it throws FS9 into a panic state. The OOM CTD error box isn't even telling you the truth. Check it out, the error will be thrown against many of the original FS9 dll files in the module folder when it occurs. Again, read the entire "Still Out of Memory" thread on the Scenery Solutions forum. You basically have to make a decision, PMDG 747, LDS767, PSS777, or UT if you're doing long-haul flights. I don't know why more people don't have this problem, I partially suspect heavy AI and 38m mesh exagerate the issue as well. All I know is, those that have had this darn issue permanently solved it by not running UT. Everything else, mesh, AI, PMDG, LDS, PSS, Add-on airports etc, play nice, except when UT is the picture.

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Thanks for the info - very interesting!Funnily enough, in the last few months I've not had time for much long haul flying in FS, but I have managed to do a few trips between UK and Carribbean in both the PMDG 747 and LDS 767 - no problems there at all. Likewise I made a few trans Atlantic trips in the SSW A310, and the odd flight with the PSS A330/340. The only problem was the normal framerate hit going into and out of major airports. This was the first time I got an out of memory error.I just spent the afternoon flying Lock On - I flew my virtual Su-27 in missions against Turkish F-16s and F-4s. Dodging AMRAAMs and Sidewinders is quite a change of pace from flying along a magenta line at FL360 :)

Guest Tingoose

Lock On is air combat isn't it?

I have 2 gigs of RAM as well. My only error is a CTD with no error boxes..just bang, right to desk top. Only happens with the PMDG744 and only when flying into the US with UT enabled. I dont have Europe UT so I suspect thats why all flights into Europe end with a smile on my face unlike landing in the US. I solved my issue by using the PSS 777 or LVD 767 for trips into the US.

Eric 

From what I read, if you get a CTD without an OOM error box, then its almost always a corrupted or missing texture file. Like you describe, probably in involving your UT USA installation.

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

I know how you feel. For me, I stick with routes that don't give me a lot of CTD(s). When I complete a new route successfully (no CTD), I log the basic flight information in a notebook for future reference. Not foolproof but it helps my chances.For me the biggest failure in Microsoft flight simulator is the lack of error reporting. Its propensity to crash to desktop with minimal information is ridiculous. Loading bad AI textures is a good example. How hard would it be to write into a text log the simple generic message "error loading AI texture"? Instead we get nothing except cryptic XP system messages and logs. There should also be an official published way for addons to hook into flight simulator so that the basic sequence of events before the error are logged (both FS9 and third party), something simple like "error loading third party "Ultimate Terrain" texture....FS9.exe encountered a problem" If Microsoft allows third party software, then they should insist upon third part developers hooking into some sort of error reporting system properly. Otherwise, Microsoft should just come out with an official policy AGAINST third party software in my view. I hope FSX adds minimal error reporting. Judging by the FSX forum, the topic has not even come up, so I'm not hopeful. We'll probably get FS 2112 with support for quad-optical processors and DX20 (virtual reality holodecks) before we get "error loading AI texture."

There should also be an official published way for addons to hook into flight simulator so that the basic sequence of events before the error are logged (both FS9 and third party), something simple like "error loading third party "Ultimate Terrain" texture....FS9.exe encountered a problem" If Microsoft allows third party software, then they should insist upon third part developers hooking into some sort of error reporting system properly. Otherwise, Microsoft should just come out with an official policy AGAINST third party software in my view.Other than it's external utility setup program UT is not software, it's data, so any CTD in FS is being reported by FS, it's MS that don't have proper error reporting in this case. In the case of CTD's due to missing textures this is usually related to bad installs or updates of UT. When you first install or update UT you should make sure your Anti virus is disabled. AV programs have a habit of screwing up software installations in general. When you update to a new version you must activate all UT functions first in the setup utility, as is described in the install/update readme file. This I think is where most of the problems come from. If you forget to do this the update will have problems installing if the functions or textures it is updating doesn't exist since you haven't activated them. You also can't just reload the update, since it checks if the latest update was applied. This forces a total uninstall and reinstall of UT. I agree there should be safe guards in the install procedure to avoid this issue. For example the update routine, should activate all functions itself prior to applying the update.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

wow ... i still love the sim. Perhaps you should back down on the number of extra programs and tweaks you have to make. Prioritize your favorite and dont worry about the others. This might help the sim to seem less like work and more like a fun hobby ...Regards,Vern