Sign in to follow this  
VHOJT

Wobbling Engines in Turbulence

Hi there PMDG,

I think I remember when the 747 was first released it had some sort of engine-wobble in turbulence.  I might be mistaken?

Is it likely to be modelled/make an appearance again?

Cheers,
Rudy

I don't know about in turbulence, but there were times when it wobbled quite severely, even on the ground with the engines shut down. Kind of looked like the engines were about to separate from the wings at any given moment.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

The challenge to aircraft developers is the very unrealistic simulation of turbulent air.  It's a real shame this feature is lacking in the simulator platform, addon weather engines try to improve on the simulation but they are stuck with the basic design flaws in how turbulence is modeled as short duration high velocity spikes in the relative airspeed that is input to the flight dynamics model.  It is a simplistic solution that works only for arcade games.

Dan Downs KCRP

8 hours ago, VHOJT said:

Hi there PMDG,

I think I remember when the 747 was first released it had some sort of engine-wobble in turbulence.  I might be mistaken?

Is it likely to be modelled/make an appearance again?

Cheers,
Rudy

The PMDG 744 does have some turbulence modelled and this can be turned off or on as you wish within the FMS CDU settings.  It is a great feature when viewed from inside the virtual cockpit during takeoff, landing and in turbulent air.  I have seen some excessive engine wobble in the past on my own setup, which was being induced by some of the settings in Active Sky 'interfering' with those in the aircraft and was easily fixed by tweaking the AS settings.    

Disregard... I misread Rudy's post 😚

Edited by Qavion2

John H Watson (retired 744/767 Avionics engineer)

Wobbling engines in tuwbulence.

Edited by Wildblue

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus | Intel Core i9-10900K @ 5.3GHz | 64GB Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3090 | 500 GB M.2 NVMe for win | 2TB M.2 NVMe for FS2020 | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog

Eric from EHAM, a flying Dutchman.

15 hours ago, berts said:

The PMDG 744 does have some turbulence modelled and this can be turned off or on as you wish within the FMS CDU settings.  It is a great feature when viewed from inside the virtual cockpit during takeoff, landing and in turbulent air.  I have seen some excessive engine wobble in the past on my own setup, which was being induced by some of the settings in Active Sky 'interfering' with those in the aircraft and was easily fixed by tweaking the AS settings.    

Yes I can see some excessive wing-flex with P3D's dodgy turbulence/PMDG modelling that they will improve apparently every now and again.  The shaking is good, but only applies the VC. 

I saw a vid recently showing the highly anticipated B747-8 with a nice engine wobble.

So it appears PMDG have made progress on this newer version. I thought the earlier release of the B747-400 had this feature but was later removed in an update due to some major issues.

IM

2 hours ago, Iceman2 said:

I thought the earlier release of the B747-400 had this feature but was later removed in an update due to some major issues.

That might have been what I mentioned in my earlier response regarding the severe engine vibrations even on the ground with the engines shut down. It looked like the engines were going to snap off the wings at any given moment.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

4 hours ago, Iceman2 said:

I saw a vid recently showing the highly anticipated B747-8 with a nice engine wobble.

So it appears PMDG have made progress on this newer version. I thought the earlier release of the B747-400 had this feature but was later removed in an update due to some major issues.

IM

Hopefully this makes it to the 744 too!

What y'all doing outside the flight deck and talking about wingflex n' stuff.

It just kills all realism and makes this factor pointless, when you jump out of the cockpit at rotation or sometime and look how the wings bend.

Cheers Henrik K.

IT Student, future ATPL holder, Freight forwarder air cargo and thx to COVID no longer a Ramp Agent at EDDL/DUS+ | FS2Crew Beta tester (&Voice Actor) for the FSlabs and UGCX

Sim: Prepar3d V4.5 Rig: CPU R7-5800X | RAM: 32GB DDR4-3000 | GPU: GTX 3080 | TFT: DELL 3840x1600

ugcx_beta_team.png 3ePa8Yp.png

2 hours ago, 30K said:

It just kills all realism and makes this factor pointless, when you jump out of the cockpit at rotation or sometime and look how the wings bend.

How else do you think people take screenshots.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

On 9/7/2018 at 7:25 AM, 30K said:

I trust you abstain from alcohol for at least 8 hours before firing up your sim? You know... Realism. 😉

I rarely go outside of the cockpit, but sometimes it's fun to see the thing you're flying, especially when it's modeled this well. Watching those wings flex in light chop is a thing of beauty.