Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
ctstech25

Patiently Waiting...

Recommended Posts

So... while waiting for the new release, my second computer has blue screened me 3 times in the last week... uh oh... ok, time move up anyway.  So I ordered a new Alienware Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K with 16GB ram (probably more to follow) and Dual NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX 1080 Ti graphics with 11GB GDDR5X each (NVIDIA SLI(R) Enabled)...

I figured that ought to do it!  Guess I will change my sig page when it arrives.


Norman Henderson

Share this post


Link to post

Nice. That should last you for a while. I have similar specs, except that I only have one 1080Ti rather than two. I ended up getting the computer built by Jetline Systems.


Captain Kevin

8e9bfe368edaef204bfa6a1373fc6422.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Share this post


Link to post

Would you upgrade from a 6700K to an 8700K? I've read in places it's not worth it. I'm toying with the idea

Edited by DavidP

David Porrett

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Captain Kevin said:

Nice. That should last you for a while. I have similar specs, except that I only have one 1080Ti rather than two. I ended up getting the computer built by Jetline Systems.

I plan on getting a Jetline one day. If only they built laptops, then I could get one now. Desktops are just a bit too big for a college dorm.

Edited by HighFlier

James Ward

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, rondon9898 said:

Does having 2 actually double the graphics power? If so, that’ll be a mean machine.

I have a dual 1080Ti in SLI configuration.  I'm not sure you get double the graphics power in application because we are so CPU bound.  My twins usually run around 20-22% GPU loading so if we had a P3D that could break the bounds of the CPU dependency then that would be something.  The only time those twins impress is in those few situations that bring a single card to it's knees, such as a large frame rate drop due to lots of weather and scenery and lighting all at once.  That is when the SLI shows some of it's stuff.

Space is not the problem if you have a full sized AT mobo and a regular tower case... no need for a larger case but mini towers are a no no if you want to add liquid cooling and SLI graphics.


Dan Downs KCRP

Share this post


Link to post

Lol my modest little ASUS GR8 II (1060 3gb) works hard. GPU runs 80% to 90%. 

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, HighFlier said:

I plan on getting a Jetline one day. If only they built laptops, then I could get one now. Desktops are just a bit too big for a college dorm.

Would be nice for sure, but the only problem is there's not necessarily a whole lot of customization you can really do with a laptop when it comes to getting the components that you need to be able to run these simulators with good performance. Your biggest problem is going to be the cooling. When I was still using a laptop to fly, I had a few instances where I fried it and it shut down. That said, they do build Minis, though you're fairly limited on what you're able to upgrade because of the size of these things. Maybe that's the way to go if you're concerned about size.


Captain Kevin

8e9bfe368edaef204bfa6a1373fc6422.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, DavidP said:

Would you upgrade from a 6700K to an 8700K? I've read in places it's not worth it. I'm toying with the idea

I'm running a non clocking 6700 presently... don't have the new one yet so can't say... my 6700 has been a beast and will be moved over to the support system.

 

7 hours ago, rondon9898 said:

2 1080TIs? I recently built a PC with the1080Ti and I wouldn’t actually be able to fit another one in my case - they’re massive! Your case must be huge. 

Does having 2 actually double the graphics power? If so, that’ll be a mean machine.

It comes from the shop pre configured inside...

 

7 hours ago, downscc said:

I have a dual 1080Ti in SLI configuration.  I'm not sure you get double the graphics power in application because we are so CPU bound.  My twins usually run around 20-22% GPU loading so if we had a P3D that could break the bounds of the CPU dependency then that would be something.  The only time those twins impress is in those few situations that bring a single card to it's knees, such as a large frame rate drop due to lots of weather and scenery and lighting all at once.  That is when the SLI shows some of it's stuff.

Space is not the problem if you have a full sized AT mobo and a regular tower case... no need for a larger case but mini towers are a no no if you want to add liquid cooling and SLI graphics.

+1


Norman Henderson

Share this post


Link to post

I still have the older Alienware 18” laptop with 2 gtx 770 running in sli mode.And it’s still running like a dream with anything you throw at it and it never gets hot.


Zdenek  Cebis

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Steven Silva said:

two 1080Ti in a pc??

Yup, Nvidia calls it SLI and AMD calls it Crossfire... running 2 graphics cards to share the load... however it’s not a 1 for 1 proposition... many graphics intensive programs gain substantial performance but P3D is, from what I’ve been able to understand, a highly CPU intensive program so doesn’t gain as much as some graphics programs.


Norman Henderson

Share this post


Link to post

I think he means......why would anyone need 2x1080Tis in the same PC! I guess these multi monitor 4K setups need a lot of power to run smoothly. This is why I stick to a single monitor @ 1920x1080 resolution. I don't have the spare cash to pay silly money for top end graphics cards :wink:


Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters2.png

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  
×
×
  • Create New...