Sign in to follow this  
iFlySimX

How Will P3D V4.4 Benefit from Physically Based Rendering (PBR)?

Hello all!

I just saw an article that P3D V4.4 might support Physically Based Rendering (PBR). Could someone please explain the benefits?

Thank you!

Clem

Discord | YouTube | Facebook

34" Odyssey OLED G8 175Hz | 3440X1440 | AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | PNY VERTO OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16 GB | G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 | Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 | ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | Fractal Design North XL ATX Full Tower Case

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

Where's this article? That would be huge news for a point release...

Regarding PBR, you can Google X-Plane 11 and PBR to see an example of what it looks like. Basically, airplanes actually look like the materials that they're made of. So, a shiny aluminum airplane will reflect line in a realistic manner. 

That's a pretty lame explanation, but you can get an idea from screenshots in XP11.

P3Dv4.4? or are we talking P3Dv5 next year.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

8 minutes ago, rjfry said:

P3Dv4.4? or are we talking P3Dv5 next year.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

On 9/1/2018 at 7:25 PM, Chapstick said:

Where's this article? That would be huge news for a point release...

Regarding PBR, you can Google X-Plane 11 and PBR to see an example of what it looks like. Basically, airplanes actually look like the materials that they're made of. So, a shiny aluminum airplane will reflect line in a realistic manner. 

That's a pretty lame explanation, but you can get an idea from screenshots in XP11.

Thanks! So it’s great but nothing out of this worlds. But hey, at least it’s another step in making P3D better.

Discord | YouTube | Facebook

34" Odyssey OLED G8 175Hz | 3440X1440 | AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | PNY VERTO OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16 GB | G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 | Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 | ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | Fractal Design North XL ATX Full Tower Case

Do you have a link to that article?

PBR is different way to calculate light, to leverage it's full potential it requires texture changes on just about everything that has textures (from Terrain to Aircraft to Airports).

Cheers, Rob.  

The truth will be revealed, confirmed, or will leave us all perplexed. 😀

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

6 minutes ago, DJJose said:

Are you referring to this one:

Thank you for providing the link.

Cheers, Rob.

Looks promising as long as it doesn't take years for our 3rd party friends to catch up.  

1 hour ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Do you have a link to that article?

PBR is different way to calculate light, to leverage it's full potential it requires texture changes on just about everything that has textures (from Terrain to Aircraft to Airports).

Cheers, Rob.  

So it will basically break every add on that is rendered in the sim?

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

Well if it`s not compatible with my addons then I will stay with 4.3 till V5. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

What does the "full Visual Studio mean?

Jorn Lundtoft

I don't always stop and look at airplanes.........Oh wait, Yes I do.

Intel I7-13700F, 32GB Fury DDR5 - 6000, Kingston 1TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD, Asus Geforce RTX 4070 TI 12GB, Kingston 2TB M2 NVMe SSD, Corsair 750W PCU, Windows 11

58 minutes ago, duckbilled said:

So it will basically break every add on that is rendered in the sim?

I wouldn't expect it to as it is a dot point upgrade release. Version 5 is what may break things big time.

• Like 1

Cheers

Steve Hall

PBR requires new shaders to be added and the texture format is different. But the older textures and shaders will probably continue to be supported. Old textures can be converted to work with PBR.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2