Sign in to follow this  
zabri

Good realistic addon for weather

Hello guys

I am planning to buy a good weather addon. An addon that gives a good realistic effect. I heard about REX Simulations. I searched and read about the feautures and also saw some videos on it on youtube. I like it and its really amazing except for one thing. REX does not have the whiteout effect that happens while flying through the clouds. Is there any addon that provide such effect? 

I have the REX SF3D / ASN combination running on my FSX installation and I do get the whiteout effect from time to time. I assume you mean the effect when you look out of the window and see nothing but white (or a very pale light blue in my case)? Or when switching to an outside view the aircraft is obscured?

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

You won’t go wrong by choosing either Rex or Active Sky addons - both developers produce high quality products and provide excellent customer support. There is a view that the Active Sky weather engine is slightly better and for this reason I use Active Sky 2016 combined with weather textures from Rex. Although the version of Rex I am using (E+OD) is now relatively old, it is still very good but both Rex and HiFi (Active Sky) have newer products available, which by all accounts are even better. It’s worth noting that both of these developers have fairly frequent special offers and there is indeed a sale of Active Sky products at the moment.

Bill

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scianoir said:

You won’t go wrong by choosing either Rex or Active Sky addons - both developers produce high quality products and provide excellent customer support. There is a view that the Active Sky weather engine is slightly better and for this reason I use Active Sky 2016 combined with weather textures from Rex. Although the version of Rex I am using (E+OD) is now relatively old, it is still very good but both Rex and HiFi (Active Sky) have newer products available, which by all accounts are even better. It’s worth noting that both of these developers have fairly frequent special offers and there is indeed a sale of Active Sky products at the moment.

Bill

The difference between weather engines is pretty significant, Scianoir.  REX is at least 5 years behind HiF.  While REX's make superior textures, few will probably agree their weather engines are on par.  Consequently, most use the following combination:

Wx Engine: AS2016

Cloud Textures: Rex SkyForce

Sky Textures: ASCA w/ENTEX 

It's a pricey combination for sure; if money is an issues, I'd get AS2016 w/ASCA or REX SkyForce.  The latter has a weather engine; however, as stated above, its nowhere near as good as HiFi's wx engine.  

Matt King

7 hours ago, kingm56 said:

Consequently, most use the following combination:

Wx Engine: AS2016

Cloud Textures: Rex SkyForce

Sky Textures: ASCA w/ENTEX 

Matt, could I ask if that combination has any performance hit in FSX (I'm assuming you're using FSX as you're on the FSX forum)? Just wondering about upgrading my textures from Rex E+OD.

Bill

6 hours ago, scianoir said:

Matt, could I ask if that combination has any performance hit in FSX (I'm assuming you're using FSX as you're on the FSX forum)? Just wondering about upgrading my textures from Rex E+OD.

Bill

Hey Bill!

I'm using P3D V4.3; however, I used the AS2016 w/ASCA/ENTEX combination in FSX.  Yes, AS2016 has pretty solid performance hit; HOWEVER, it's VERY customizable and you can tailor it to maximize performance.  You'll definitely see a massive immersion bump from switching for Rex OD to AS16.  

Matt King

Thanks Matt. I actually have been using the AS16 weather engine for a couple of years now but with Rex texturesand I agree there was quite a difference when I stopped using the Rex weather engine. I was actually thinking about changing from my old Rex E+OD textures to something like ASCA and ENVTEX which was why I was asking about performance in FSX (where as you know VAS usage remains a consideration unlike P3Dv4).

Bill

FS Global Real Weather works for me.

nebojsa

• Upvote 1

Well i bought AS16 and its just not connecting with FSX. I have reported the problem is the hifisimtech forums.

Hope they find a solution for me.

That’s frustrating! HiFi have very good support though so I’m sure they will sort it for you quickly.

On 9/4/2018 at 7:54 AM, zabri said:

Well i bought AS16 and its just not connecting with FSX. I have reported the problem is the hifisimtech forums.

Hope they find a solution for me.

I would strongly recommend submitting a support ticket with Hifi. I did that and had a solution within a day or 2. Top quality support from them IMO.