Sign in to follow this  
ols500

Moving to P3D what kind of performance can i expect...

Hello!

I am moving to P3D v4 in a few months time, as i am fed up with low fps, chunky camera movements and OOMS! I run all of orbx's stuff (expect trees) and use aircraft such as the Aerosoft Airbus and PMDG 777 etc...

My specs are:

I5 8600K @4.7Gh

z GTX 1060 6GB

8 GB RAM 

128GB SSD

2TB HHD

can you guys recommend which settings i should use and how good fps will be?

Thanks Ollie 

Edited by ols500

i5 8600K  @4.5Ghz 16GB RAM GTX1060 

System Requirements – Prepar3D v4

Minimum
Recommended
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 7 SP1 (64-bit)
[N editions require Media Feature Pack]
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Computer Processor
2.2 GHz Quad Core 3.5 GHz (Per Core) +
Computer Memory
4 GB 16 GB DDR4/2666MHz +
Hard Drive Space
40 GB, with at least 15 GB on C:\
(3 GB for the SDK)
M.2 or Solid State Drive (SSD) is strongly recommended
Graphics Card Video Memory
2 GB 8 GB +
Graphics Card Other
Full DirectX 11 Support
Other
Administrator Rights (for installation only)
Microsoft Core XML Services (MSXML) 6.0
Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.2
DirectX 11
1024×768 minimum screen resolution for primary display

54 minutes ago, ols500 said:

Thanks Ollie 

With that system you should be able to get good fps, but more importantly, smoothness should be your goal -- 

I'd suggest you download the AVSIM P3D Guide here:

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

1 hour ago, ols500 said:

Hello!

I am moving to P3D v4 in a few months time, as i am fed up with low fps, chunky camera movements and OOMS! I run all of orbx's stuff (expect trees) and use aircraft such as the Aerosoft Airbus and PMDG 777 etc...

My specs are:

I5 8600K @4.7Gh

z GTX 1060 6GB

8 GB RAM 

128GB SSD

2TB HHD

Thanks Ollie 

Your GPU is going to kill u.  8gb system ram is also marginal. 

Matt Wilson

The gtx1060 isn't bad as long as you aren't doing a 4K monitor. I run that same video card in VR and it works fine with P3D ( in lesser sceneries and simpler aircraft)

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

I am running a standard 60Hz 1080 monitor so do you think the GTX 1060 will be fine there?

22 minutes ago, ols500 said:

I am running a standard 60Hz 1080 monitor so do you think the GTX 1060 will be fine there?

Yes

i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz, 32GB DDR4, GTX1080, 2 x Samsung 1TB NVMe, 1 x 3TB HDD, Windows 10 Prof

Thank you for confirming that @willy647 😄

(i never run anything a MAX anyway normally 3/4 for sliders and i am gonna leave dynamic lighting off)

That system should run P3D okay, not blisteringly fast with all P3D's options on full throttle, but I'd put money on it certainly running better than FSX would do on that same system and looking better on lower settings.

P3D V4 will run perfectly well on just 4Gb of RAM (I know this because that's what my laptop has, and it runs P3D V4 perfectly adequately), so it will certainly run okay on twice that amount of RAM. More RAM would make the load times a bit quicker, so whilst it's no bad thing to have more, and personally I'd say 12-16Gb of RAM would make things a bit more pleasant in terms of load times,  it's by no means essential. Having said that the bus speed of the RAM is a big deal though, i.e. ideally you want decent DDR4/2666Mhz RAM.

Any reasonably recent GPU with at least 2Gb or DDR5 memory will do the job for P3D, although if you have more memory on your GPU it will improve things and certainly with having 6Gb on your GPU, it should do okay. Your CPU is more than adequate too, so I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how well you computer does providing you don't try going for a massively high resolution and keep a lid on some of the graphical whistle and bell options. 

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

@chock

thanks for the reply yes I have DDR4 RAM @ 3000MHZ

17 hours ago, ols500 said:

can you guys recommend which settings i should use

That question is impossible to answer because no one knows what's important to you. Do you care about autogen or not? Are water reflections important to you? Are you a low and slow flyer or a high and dry one? Do you like to fly the default Maule or the PMDG 777? Do you like weather? Traffic? And how importance is fps is for you? Can you live with 20 (as some can) or do you really need 40 at least? In short: no one can answer this question apart from yourself. ;) 

My recommendation is to turn on the options that are important to you and then fiddle around with the remaining options until performance is acceptable for you. Any other advice is useless imho. ;) 

@J van E

Yes i understand what you mean-sorry lol

18 hours ago, ols500 said:

I run all of orbx's stuff (expect trees) and use aircraft such as the Aerosoft Airbus and PMDG 777 etc...

But i did say this, however i might of not been clear.

I fly commercial jets with orbx, active sky etc

42 minutes ago, ols500 said:

@J van E

Yes i understand what you mean-sorry lol

But i did say this, however i might of not been clear.

I fly commercial jets with orbx, active sky etc

1 hour ago, J van E said:

That question is impossible to answer because no one knows what's important to you. Do you care about autogen or not? Are water reflections important to you? Are you a low and slow flyer or a high and dry one? Do you like to fly the default Maule or the PMDG 777? Do you like weather? Traffic? And how importance is fps is for you? Can you live with 20 (as some can) or do you really need 40 at least? In short: no one can answer this question apart from yourself. 😉

My recommendation is to turn on the options that are important to you and then fiddle around with the remaining options until performance is acceptable for you. Any other advice is useless imho. 😉

He makes a very good point.  I have to disagree with all the comments saying your hardware will be somewhat adequate.  Once u load up your PMDG aircraft of choice in ORBX land with overcast weather it will be game over unless u like a slide show.  This of course is only my opinion.

Edited by mpw8679

Matt Wilson

Do you have a lot of transferable addons?

If not: (imvho) don't wast money on P3D Vx.xx.

This is what you wille be buying: low fps, chunky camera movements and OOMS! (bonus: stutters, slow loading textures, same bland looking enviroment)

-Roland