Sign in to follow this  
ricka47

Morse ID

I just bought the program today and am learning how to use it.  On ILS approaches, I can find the frequency, the bearing and other stuff.  But, I can't find the Morse ID anywhere.  Are those in the program somewhere?

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

Rick,

Having worked in communications for 21 years and having seen the demise of Morse code due to technology updates, I am very happy not hearing it.  It most certainly is available though as I have heard it very clearly in a Flightsim Youtube video some time this week.   I do not, however know, how you get it though I believe it is tied up with your nav radios (tune into your VOR or something) Someone else should be able to help you out.

Knowing morse code does introduce some unintended comedy into the old war time movies though as some Naval or other officers read the code at some 300 words per minute (ie a word instead of a character and most of the morse characters are in some unidentifiable code as they very rarely make sense)

I do remember listening to a couple of ham operators who started off at about 20 words per minute and after each message sent they received a "QSL QRQ" which is message received ... send faster. they lost me a little while later when they got to about 30 words per minute which is quite rapid. Obviously both very good operators.

I apologise for that little side track but good luck with your search.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Thanks Tony, I am a ham (KQ4Y) and was licensed when it was required to go to a FCC office and send and receive code at 5, 13 and then 20 WPM in order to get the highest class of license.  The first time I went to the FCC office in Chicago to take the test I failed. I was so nervous that I could not copy a thing when I put on those phones and looked at the stern guy administering the test (I can still see him today in a white shirt and black skinny tie).    I was first licensed in 1968 and am still on the air and I still use Morse code! 

Rick Abshier

Rick,

Very interesting.

I too started my communications career with the Royal Australian Air Force as a Telegraphist on the 5th January 1968. I spent just over twelve months in communications training and eventually was able to send morse (I believe competently) at 25 words per minute and to receive it at 30+ .

As a Ham operator you would appreciate no doubt the comment about the wartime movies. I did not actually get into Hamming as I was getting quite enough communicating doing 12 hour day and night shifts.  

My one claim to fame is that I once spoke with a US patrol boat in Hudson Bay whilst on duty at RAAF Base Pearce in Western Australia (YPEA) We also worked with RAAF Neptunes and later the Orions on Maritime Patrol duties as well as the military transport net.

Back on topic though, I again wish you luck and now fully understand why you are looking.

Cheers mate and great to chat with a fellow communicator.

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Thanks Tony, you certainly had an interesting career when communications was very different from today with satellites and the Internet!

Rick Abshier

The Morse ID for Navaids, including ILS approaches, is not in the data and so is not displayed directly by P2A.  As in many real-world EFBs, P2A displays the name of the approach under the frequency so you can validate the correct tuning of the Nav radio.  The Morse ID for ILSs should be on the Approach Plates which can be brought up in the TERPs window of P2A.

Dave

OK, no big deal.  I do note that Little Nav Map does display the Morse ID's for ILS approaches.  So, it must be in there somewhere?

Rick Abshier

Actually, the Procedure Identifiers for ILS, RNAV, etc. are in the data.  Just not the "Morse code" version.

I have added providing more info on ILS and other approaches on the Airport Info dialog to the future enhancements list and will try to include the procedure Identifiers.

Thanks,

Dave

Edited by Dave-Pilot2ATC

Thanks Dave, I actually do listen to the Morse ID to make sure that I'm tracking the right localizer.  As one of the few folks alive today who can still copy Morse code, it can come in handy on rare occasions!

Rick Abshier