Sign in to follow this  
Colonel X

X-Enviro 1.10 progress....

They have something cooking there for sure... I know it's a delicate topic, considering the fact they keep on showing us the next big thing and don't care the actual release (1.09) is a buggy mess for the most part. But you can't deny their target is very ambitious.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

I'd kind of given up on this X-Enviro but that video is IMPRESSIVE! I hate to suggest this overused and abused term, but dare I say: gamechanger?

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

This is at TruSky level or better. As has been said, remains to be seen the quality of the final implementation, and also the performance cost.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

I hope they decide to put more color in the low altitude appearance (both cloud shadows and sky color) but it does look quite good.  If they use physics to create sky colors based on weather then we should get some amazing sunsets, sunrises and every other condition where haze is unevenly lit.

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

They also are working on adding seasons (https://forum.thresholdx.net/topic/241-110-development-screenshots/).

That won't be in the 1.10 release but it is on the table for a future release.  I can't use 1.09 and had to revert to 1.07 due to a number of issues such as severe turbulence all the time.  I hope they fix some of the old issues.

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

I already saw a lot of impressive shots and videos about the upcoming version of xenviro, but i also saw a lot of them in the previous versions, and the result was so disappointing that my expectations are very low regarding anything related with xenviro, and worst the devs are not there to deal with any kind of criticism, not going to talk about their "support".

Fortunately Active Sky for XP is around the corner, and until them Ultra Weather XP and FS global RW make a pretty good job dealing with my XP weather.

Xenviro is dead to me!

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

4 hours ago, Colonel X said:

(1.09) is a buggy mess for the most part.

Yes, unfortunately I've had to disable it just to be able to fly XP11 ... but they continue working on it with 1.10 and will release "when ready".  It looks very promising if they can pull it off.  I'm temporarily using FSGRW but find it pretty hard on performance when the weather is bad, xEnviro was very good on FPS and got rid of the 24/7 haze in XP11.  I like the idea of all in one solution for "environment".

1 hour ago, dmarques69 said:

Fortunately Active Sky for XP is around the corner

I keep hearing this ... it's a very long corner 😉 ... but I haven't heard any word on when?  Can you post any info on "around the corner"?  HiFi does an outstanding job with P3D V4.x so I'm very curious what they can do with XP11.

Cheers, Rob.

3 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

I keep hearing this ... it's a very long corner 😉 ... but I haven't heard any word on when?  Can you post any info on "around the corner"?  HiFi does an outstanding job with P3D V4.x so I'm very curious what they can do with XP11.

Rob i applied for the beta team of Active Sky for XP and i received an answer, i cant share what it was, but i assure you that is around the corner 😉

Anyway, theres some info here:

https://hifisimtech.com/forums/showthread.php?9657-Development-News-Update-Summer-2018

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

9 minutes ago, dmarques69 said:

Rob i applied for the beta team of Active Sky for XP

Thanks for the link.

Cheers, Rob.

I hope the X-Enviro team adds an option for not always needing an internet connection. The new 1.10 looks impressive.

Edited by Pugilist2
  • Upvote 1

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

16 hours ago, Pugilist2 said:

I hope the X-Enviro team adds an option for not always needing an internet connection. The new 1.10 looks impressive.

No hope for that. XE calculates the weather/clouds on a server - the only way this grand vision is possible at all (actually this server/client based rendering paradigm is the future for gaming, for example, the environmental [buildings] destruction of the new Crackdown 3 game by Microsoft also relies on this - because the client, your computer, wouldn't be able to do it due to CPU performance). I don't mind that, an internet connection is one of the smaller problems of modern life (unless you're in Pakistan or suffer from paranoia). But some Americans might be reserved to the idea that their flight sim depends on Russian servers, I get that.

I think there's quite a few here (me included) that bought XE, fiddled around with every version, only to uninstall it and run with other solutions for now. But veteran X-Plane users know that your sim is always temporary, and will evolve over time. Default weather is fine for now (with things like better cloud art, X-Vision and the like - it's all still static in terms of visualization [except for SkyMaxx maybe which animates clouds in the wind nicely, but the rest is underwhelming], which is my major gripe), but there's a big next step for weather. That is potentially X-Enviro, or Active Sky, of which I've seen nothing yet ("Q4 2018 Release" - take my money!). XE seems extremely ambitious, that's for sure.

Personally, I wish Laminar would just buy into TruSky or another nextgen readymade weather engine and roll it out with XP12, but they seem to want to cook their own soup. There's also no reason in the world they haven't hired Greg from World Traffic to make it the official X-Plane Ai - but oh well, it's up to Austin.

Edited by Colonel X
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

-

The developers were talking about making weather themes that would not require an internet connection, but do not know if it is still planned.

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

6 hours ago, Pugilist2 said:

The developers were talking about making weather themes that would not require an internet connection, but do not know if it is still planned.

Yeah, that should, of course, be possible - to include themes with the install data. If they decide to implement it. But it's only half the fun.

-

On 9/6/2018 at 12:37 PM, Colonel X said:

No hope for that. XE calculates the weather/clouds on a server - the only way this grand vision is possible at all (actually this server/client based rendering paradigm is the future for gaming, for example, the environmental [buildings] destruction of the new Crackdown 3 game by Microsoft also relies on this - because the client, your computer, wouldn't be able to do it due to CPU performance)

I guess possibly the reason is that they get their weather from multiple sources, but I doubt that they are doing anything particularly CPU intensive that would require that to be off-loaded to a server. My "personal" opinion is that it is simply a way to enforce DRM and protect their products from piracy, and I guess in this day and age you can't blame them.

Anyone remember the last version of Simcity? They also claimed it was online only as it was the only way to process the lives of all the sims living in the city because the CPUs weren't powerful enough. Turns out that this was quickly discovered to be false (amongst other problems in the game), and eventually I believe it was allowed to run offline (or at least I heard people found a way of doing it).

At the end of the day, we either use such internet-only products or we don't and use something else 🙂

• Upvote 1

I believe that for this or that reasons any weather injector will require na Internet connection. If not only for observation updates, aldo in order to fetch the data from it's weather source(s).

Of course most will couple DRM to it 😁

Actually the closest to a standalone weather injector we have is Aerowinx PSX with it's Global Weather Model, one of those Unique features that this Unique flight sim actually provides, And, btw, Aerowinx while using online updates that require internet access, doesn't use DRM...

Edited by Von Target

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...