Sign in to follow this  
scottb613

Death Knell for Fltplan GO ?

Hi Folks,

Arrrggh - just received an email from fltplan.com - they’ve been bought by Garmin which doesn’t bode well for our free geo-referenced approach plates or electronic flight bag... Garmin doesn’t do anything for free...

Regards,

Scott

• Upvote 1

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Watching my email, nothing yet.  Am a heavy user.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I've not received notification yet from FltPlan Go but I agree this isn't good news.  It's a wonderful app... so many tools and much info.  Will be keeping an eye on the situation.  Thanks for HU.

Greg

I use FltPlan Go for most of my flights.  Recently I have been having a problem with an error message I received when I entered the following VFR route for KBDL to KBWI.

Route: VEERS PWL CMK DUEYS JERSY SBJ BIGGY COPES MXE NUGGY TRISH3

Error message: Your P/U fix () does not match your requested DC FRZ arrival gate (TRISH3)

Anyone know what this error means and how to fix it?

Thanks for your help!

Airbus

Al Kaupa

Digital Storm purchased 8/17/2011; Win7x64: Asus P8P67 Deluxe; Intel i7 2600K@3,9 GHZ; nVidia GTX 560Ti; 8GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Dominator; Power Corsair HX 750W; Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD; 300GB WD VelociRaptor; 1TB Seagate.

Very dissapointed over this.  Flplan.com has been very customer friendly and even talked me through an issue I had connecting to the sim once.  Don't think that will ever happpen now.  Plus no more being free but multiple subscription levels to compete with FF for iPad.

Will this mean I will be able to get it on my Garmin Golf Pro.😂

Edited by rjfry

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

10 hours ago, Airbus said:

I use FltPlan Go for most of my flights.  Recently I have been having a problem with an error message I received when I entered the following VFR route for KBDL to KBWI.

Route: VEERS PWL CMK DUEYS JERSY SBJ BIGGY COPES MXE NUGGY TRISH3

Error message: Your P/U fix () does not match your requested DC FRZ arrival gate (TRISH3)

Anyone know what this error means and how to fix it?

Thanks for your help!

Airbus

Hi Al,

Without calling up the route - the "DC FRZ" is the Washington DC restricted zone setup after 9/11 - - - in order to enter the FRZ while flying VFR - there are some very specific requirements that need to be met to avoid having unwanted company on your flight - there's a mandatory course VFR pilots need to take before transiting the area... I'm assuming your VFR flight plan passes through the FRZ without using one of the designated FRZ checkpoints or gates... I've made similar flights in real life and found it much easier to just fly around the whole mess - although it adds a significant amount of time to do so... When I got close - ATC specifically queried my intentions... I always use Flight Following on cross country VFR flights...

Here’s a good overview:

http://www.flying20club.org/documents/DC_SFRA_Presentation.pdf

Regards,
Scott

Edited by scottb613

There is also the P56 Prohibited Area which is a radius around the White House. KDCA Rwy 01 Departures must take care to strictly follow specific VMC/IMC procedures to avoid violating this airspace. I used to work with this during previous years in the airline world. 

Also a big user/proponent, and got the email as well.  Yep, my first thought was get ready to pay bigtime, but I still hold out some hope.  Here's why:

Good as the service is, it's still not as robust and elegant as the market leader, ForeFlight.  I used ForeFlight for several years and absolutely love it, but finally decided that the money was more than I could justify once I found the free FltPlan service.  I'm hoping that there'll be at least a bit of grace period, as Garmin tries to bring FltPlan to the point where it can more readily compete with an established market leader.  For now, it looks like they're still monetizing the product through advertising, FBO support and by selling premium services to flight departments.  Hopefully it'll be a while before that changes.

We shall see...

Scott

21 minutes ago, tttocs said:

Also a big user/proponent, and got the email as well.  Yep, my first thought was get ready to pay bigtime, but I still hold out some hope.  Here's why:

Good as the service is, it's still not as robust and elegant as the market leader, ForeFlight.  I used ForeFlight for several years and absolutely love it, but finally decided that the money was more than I could justify once I found the free FltPlan service.  I'm hoping that there'll be at least a bit of grace period, as Garmin tries to bring FltPlan to the point where it can more readily compete with an established market leader.  For now, it looks like they're still monetizing the product through advertising, FBO support and by selling premium services to flight departments.  Hopefully it'll be a while before that changes.

We shall see...

Scott

Hi Scott,

Yeah - Garmin also has their own EFB product called "Garmin Pilot" - it's very much on par with Foreflight - and - after a few years of using both - I chose Garmin's product to continue with because I like a couple of its features more for RW flights... Sadly - Garmin's Customer Support can't compare to Foreflight's Customer Support - though... Unfortunately - Garmin Pilot has no native connectivity to P3D... The fact that Garmin already has a high end EFB is why I think FltPlan's EFB is in such jeopardy - I can't see them continuing with both and Garmin Pilot is far superior to FltPlan Go (except in price) - LOL...

Regards,
Scott

Scott, I had completely forgotten about Garmin Pilot.  You're right - that makes me far less optimistic as well.  Ugh.

Scott

Scott

Thanks for the SFRA entry stuff.  So....how would you edit my route shown above to comply with the rules?  The two entry SFRA gates that I see on the chart close to KBWI are WOOLY and PALEO.  Based on the error I got when entering my plan do I have to have both WOOLY and PALEO fixes in my plan somewhere?  Also what is a "P/U fix" anyway? Thanks for your understanding.  That's why I am a SIM pilot and not a REAL pilot :laugh::laugh:.

Airbus

Al Kaupa

Digital Storm purchased 8/17/2011; Win7x64: Asus P8P67 Deluxe; Intel i7 2600K@3,9 GHZ; nVidia GTX 560Ti; 8GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Dominator; Power Corsair HX 750W; Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD; 300GB WD VelociRaptor; 1TB Seagate.

That's a real bummer.  I love FltPlanGo, it's such an easy way to track my flight on a tablet as well as quick access to airport information, weather, etc 

Essential to my simming experience... It'll be a shame if it goes away