Sign in to follow this  
DuduGuimaraes

Runway light texture

Hi guys

I’ve just updated from FSX to P3Dv4, and I’m having a hard time figuring something out here ... 

I love REX’s runway lights textures, but when I’m more than 1-2 meter away from the lights, they look like white balls of light. Only when I get very close (1-2 meters away) the installed texture “appears”.

Am I’m missing any settings here ?

Thanks

Eduardo

Full screen?  Windowed?  Zoomed in or out to 70%?  30%? 100%.  Screen size at 65, 27, 19 inches or some other size?  Are the REX textures set to 512, 2048, 4096 and your P3D settings are too?  Do you have a video card very good video card?  Only suggestions I can think of that you might be missing.  Runway lights are very difficult to make perfect and have been discussed a lot here (but not as much as the "blurries").  It is all in the eye of the beholder.  I personally have no problems with the runway lights.  There are too many variables.  Right now we are only at DX11 and perhaps they will all look better in DX12 or 13 (then you might see rain drops or snow on the lights).  Maybe too the next version of P3D (P3DV5 is probably what they will call it) will have better use of the GPU and rendering.  I know REX makes some good stuff so you just need to work out the other issues.

I would recommend you put your system specs in your signature as they will help others in answering your questions (see mine as an example). 

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

A few years ago this issue was driving me crazy too. I just checked my account activity but my posts from that time are no more listed. I made detailed comparison screens and descriptions of this lights issue, posted here and at LM's or REX's forums.

I tried everyting from changing these "scalar" light size settings in p3d.cfg to editing the halo.bmp and even played with effect files and whatever... But nothing helped.

At the moment I have not much time for flying or testing but I also believe this issue still exists. I remember a slight difference when the lights appear/disappear between using HDR on or off, but not much and nothing resulted in acceptable results.

edit:

Just found some threads from that time... Sadly my own screens are no more visible.

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6306&t=118259

http://www.prepar3d.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100642

Edited by tremor595

38 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

Full screen?  Windowed?  Zoomed in or out to 70%?  30%? 100%.  Screen size at 65, 27, 19 inches or some other size?  Are the REX textures set to 512, 2048, 4096 and your P3D settings are too?  Do you have a video card very good video card?  Only suggestions I can think of that you might be missing.  Runway lights are very difficult to make perfect and have been discussed a lot here (but not as much as the "blurries").  It is all in the eye of the beholder.  I personally have no problems with the runway lights.  There are too many variables.  Right now we are only at DX11 and perhaps they will all look better in DX12 or 13 (then you might see rain drops or snow on the lights).  Maybe too the next version of P3D (P3DV5 is probably what they will call it) will have better use of the GPU and rendering.  I know REX makes some good stuff so you just need to work out the other issues.

I would recommend you put your system specs in your signature as they will help others in answering your questions (see mine as an example). 

Hi Jim. Sorry for the lack of info. Here they are

Intel Core i7 6700K 4.00 GHz, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA Gforce GTX1080

The zoom does not make any difference, and I am running full screen. REX textures are set to 1024, so is P3D.

Here are two pictures showing what I mean. Notice how close you have to be from the light for the texture to be "seen".

Untitled.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

Thanks

Eduardo

46 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

I personally have no problems with the runway lights.

Jim, do you mean no problems with REXs runway lights in P3D? If so, and if you have time, would you be so kind to take a screen, lets say on a default airport with REXs runway lights showing all over the place?

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, DuduGuimaraes said:

Hi Jim. Sorry for the lack of info. Here they are

Intel Core i7 6700K 4.00 GHz, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA Gforce GTX1080

The zoom does not make any difference, and I am running full screen. REX textures are set to 1024, so is P3D.

Here are two pictures showing what I mean. Notice how close you have to be from the light for the texture to be "seen".

Untitled.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

Thanks

Eduardo

Maybe you could show some fullscreen pictures. But i know even without seeing the lights... they disappear, by distance or angel.

12 minutes ago, tremor595 said:

Jim, do you mean no problems with REXs runway lights in P3D? If so, and if you have time, would you be so kind to take a screen, lets say on a default airport with REXs runway lights showing all over the place?

Thanks!

Maybe you could show some fullscreen pictures. But i know even without seeing the lights... they disappear, by distance or angel.

Hi

I can see them fine from a distance. The issue is, no matter what texture I select in REX, they show up in p3d4 as a white lighr bulb. Only when I’m 1 meter away from the light itself, the texture “loads”.

I brought this to REX's attention in their Texture Direct support forum. They seemed surprised and said they'd reach out to Lockheed about how the code changed. 

That was a few months ago. 

Now their Worldwide Airports HD does the same thing when I tested it a couple days ago. 

50 minutes ago, Sticky said:

I brought this to REX's attention in their Texture Direct support forum. They seemed surprised and said they'd reach out to Lockheed about how the code changed. 

That was a few months ago. 

Now their Worldwide Airports HD does the same thing when I tested it a couple days ago. 

I see. I have also posted on their forum about this, waiting on an answer ...

On 9/10/2018 at 12:09 AM, tremor595 said:

A few years ago this issue was driving me crazy too. I just checked my account activity but my posts from that time are no more listed. I made detailed comparison screens and descriptions of this lights issue, posted here and at LM's or REX's forums.

I tried everyting from changing these "scalar" light size settings in p3d.cfg to editing the halo.bmp and even played with effect files and whatever... But nothing helped.

At the moment I have not much time for flying or testing but I also believe this issue still exists. I remember a slight difference when the lights appear/disappear between using HDR on or off, but not much and nothing resulted in acceptable results.

edit:

Just found some threads from that time... Sadly my own screens are no more visible.

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6306&t=118259

http://www.prepar3d.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100642

Hi, started that thread a long time ago.

The only fix for me was to apply two tings:

1. Small airport lights (PAPIs) in REX 4 Texture Direct and

2. Apply smaller 'runway scalar' values.

The issue with HDR changing the size and apperance of the PAPIs seemingly disappeared with P3D v4.

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

I've had this exact issue in every single p3d version and every single REX product/version for the last several years. Actually, I think I even had it back in FSX. I (and many others) have reported it numerous times to no avail. The issue is still present after a clean install of p3d v4.3 with only REX worldwide airports HD installed. My "fix" is to restore the original p3d textures and then always make sure to not install the runway lights in REX.

The REX runway lights issue where the lights are changing texture right in front of you is, as far as I know, not related to the other extremely annoying runway lights issue where the lights will pop up right in front of you. This bug has also existed since the early FSX days. See example below (not my video). it's not a configuration issue nor a hardware resource issue. It's some kind of insanely low hardoded LOD radius.The issue is pretty much visible in every single fsx and p3d night video ever created. I'm still amazed that these to bugs still havent been fixed or even got much attention.

On 9/11/2018 at 3:03 PM, tolip2 said:

I've had this exact issue in every single p3d version and every single REX product/version for the last several years. Actually, I think I even had it back in FSX. I (and many others) have reported it numerous times to no avail. The issue is still present after a clean install of p3d v4.3 with only REX worldwide airports HD installed. My "fix" is to restore the original p3d textures and then always make sure to not install the runway lights in REX.

The REX runway lights issue where the lights are changing texture right in front of you is, as far as I know, not related to the other extremely annoying runway lights issue where the lights will pop up right in front of you. This bug has also existed since the early FSX days. See example below (not my video). it's not a configuration issue nor a hardware resource issue. It's some kind of insanely low hardoded LOD radius.The issue is pretty much visible in every single fsx and p3d night video ever created. I'm still amazed that these to bugs still havent been fixed or even got much attention.

Hi.

This is different from what I'm experiencing. In the video, you can see the textures from a distance. In my case, I can only see the correct texture when I'm less than 1 meter from the light. Beyond 1 m, I can see the lights fine, but they seem to all turn to the default white light "bulb".

I just wanted to mention that this issue is still present in P3Dv4.4 and REX Wordwide Airports HD. I.e. no matter what runway light texture is selected/installed in Wordwide Airports, that texture only suddenly appears (changes from the default texture) when it's right in front of the a/c.

I've not found any setting that fixes this issue, the best thing I can get is to make the issue less obvious by selecting a REX runway light texture that is similar to the default texture, and making the lights smaller using the light scalar settings in prepar3d.cfg. It's still very annoying though and it looks really weird with the runway lights changing right in front of you all the time. Did anyone find a fix yet?

I believe that this is because of bugs in p3d itself rather than a bug in REX. I've repported this issue and other runway light popping issues to LM for serveral years now without any kind of response. I really wish that REX could put some preassure on LM to investigate this issue as it directly affects their products.