Sign in to follow this  
eslader

Xtreme Prototypes Lear25 violent pitchup when disengaging alt hold.

Just grabbed this awhile ago. I've read the whole manual. I know the real plane will fairly violently pitch up if you overspeed in order to slow down, but mine is violently pitching up any time I disengage alt-hold in the .70 and up mach range. And it automatically selects attitude-hold, which I suspect is contributing to the problem.

Anyone have this bird and know why it does this? The problem doesn't happen when, for example, I disengage the autopilot on approach, so that suggests it's not just a control problem.

Possibly related, I've noticed the yokes push forward when you extend the spoilers. The real plane will nose down when you extend the spoilers. Is this thing simulating that by forcing an elevator movement? If so, I'm wondering if that's related to the pitchup problem, if it's simulating autopilot by playing with the elevators instead of the elevator trim, and then when you disengage it the elevators snap to whatever position your joystick is in.

I see the same behaviour!

I thought this had to do with my (incorrect) configuration of SPAD.neXt together with my GF-MCP Pro.

I have not been able to use my sim the last couple of weeks so I have not investigated further. This post is more of a "me too".

• Like 1

It's certainly not those two things because I'm not running SPAD and I'm not lucky enough to own anything from GoFlight.   Yet...

The more I play with it the more I suspect someone took the lazy way out and is having the autopilot play with the main flight controls rather than trim. I don't know if that lazy person was at Xtreme, or at Lear because I have heard from several real world pilots of the Lear 25 that the thing was... Suboptimal in its  systems even for its time.

That said, the autopilot implementation by Xtreme is confusing even without this problem. Why did they put an auto-throttle in there? The real plane doesn't have one.

Edited by eslader

2 hours ago, eslader said:

That said, the autopilot implementation by Xtreme is confusing even without this problem. Why did they put an auto-throttle in there? The real plane doesn't have one.

I suspect because it is easier than programming in what the Lear actually has....

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron