Sign in to follow this  
Howiefly13

My 1st VR Flight!!!

Okay, here goes.   I have been an Avid Flight Simmer since Sub Logic's FSII in 1984 on a PC Jr.  I just completed my 1st flight in VR and, I am honestly, still shaking from the experience.   I used the default Cessna 172 with REP and flew a circuit around Meigs Field with the recently released ORBX scenery.  At first I was a little under whelmed with the sharpness and clarity of the scenery, compared to how it looks with out VR.  But, as soon as I started looking around the cockpit and gave it a little throttle and started moving that all changed.  I really felt like I was in the cockpit and thought that I smelled the fuel and exhaust!

Everything that seemed so important before VR, all melted away as soon as the aircraft lifted off, and my stomach had a hard time keeping up with the airplane.  I am not kidding!  I have taken a few lessons, flew many hours as a passenger in a 172, and probable a couple thousand hours of flight simulators and THIS really felt Real!  I am sure that the visuals can be tweaked and improved, but this is what I have always craved for in flight simulation.  This really beats the constant searching for new scenery, aircraft and add-ons.  I will unplug my longtime three monitors and am sold on VR.  I have a few questions regarding some of the settings in VR and need to talk to some of the more experienced people, but that is for another day.  Thank you to Austin Meyer, Laminar, Jetline Systems and Oculus Rift for finally making my dream a reality.

Howard Bloom

• Like 12

Howard

Jetline Systems: Intel 8th Gen Core i7 8700K (4.8GHz Overclock); GTX 1080 Ti; LG Curved UltraWide 3440x1440 Monitor

Hi Howard,

this pretty much exactly compares to my first flight in VR.

There are a few Naysayers, and maybe VR in its current form still leaves a bit to be desired (display resolution, interaction, comfort, etc.) - but I also believe it is an absolutely unrivaled experienced.

You will (like I have) likely come back down a bit after the exhilaration of the first flight when you explore VR  more. There are some things that are cumbersome or need getting used to - just try to fly cross-country for an hour and you will see what I mean (can´t even find your cup of coffee on the desk ;-)).

But having flown real aircraft for 26 years now I can only second your observation - VR feels real, everything else is cool - but just play-pretend.

I find myself using VR the most in Aces High 3 - where the ability to look around, track your enemy, judge distance, closure and relative motion just makes a huge difference.

Cheers, Jan

• Like 4

I use vr in x plane, pr3d and airofly 2.

But my most favorite  is dcs world flying the f 18  doing  carrier take offs and landings. Very intense.

Regards Ted Kiser

1 hour ago, frieone said:

I use vr in x plane, pr3d and airofly 2.

But my most favorite  is dcs world flying the f 18  doing  carrier take offs and landings. Very intense.

Regards Ted Kiser

Took the words right out of my mouth, try a case 3 landing in pitch black! Scary.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

1 hour ago, SierraHotel said:

Took the words right out of my mouth, try a case 3 landing in pitch black! Scary.

Had not been that brave yet lol

Regards ted kiser 

VR is truly amazing. I took a 737 for a flight around the NYC area and flying low just above the skyscrapers was breathtaking, especially at dusk or night. There are no words. 

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

On 9/11/2018 at 4:27 PM, Howiefly13 said:

Okay, here goes.   I have been an Avid Flight Simmer since Sub Logic's FSII in 1984 on a PC Jr.  I just completed my 1st flight in VR and, I am honestly, still shaking from the experience.   I used the default Cessna 172 with REP and flew a circuit around Meigs Field with the recently released ORBX scenery.  At first I was a little under whelmed with the sharpness and clarity of the scenery, compared to how it looks with out VR.  But, as soon as I started looking around the cockpit and gave it a little throttle and started moving that all changed.  I really felt like I was in the cockpit and thought that I smelled the fuel and exhaust!

Everything that seemed so important before VR, all melted away as soon as the aircraft lifted off, and my stomach had a hard time keeping up with the airplane.  I am not kidding!  I have taken a few lessons, flew many hours as a passenger in a 172, and probable a couple thousand hours of flight simulators and THIS really felt Real!  I am sure that the visuals can be tweaked and improved, but this is what I have always craved for in flight simulation.  This really beats the constant searching for new scenery, aircraft and add-ons.  I will unplug my longtime three monitors and am sold on VR.  I have a few questions regarding some of the settings in VR and need to talk to some of the more experienced people, but that is for another day.  Thank you to Austin Meyer, Laminar, Jetline Systems and Oculus Rift for finally making my dream a reality.

Howard Bloom

sounds awesome ... i want that experience.   Which VR headset are you using?

I as using the Oculus Rift.  You will Love it!!

Howard

Jetline Systems: Intel 8th Gen Core i7 8700K (4.8GHz Overclock); GTX 1080 Ti; LG Curved UltraWide 3440x1440 Monitor