Sign in to follow this  
Bina

Flight plan folder(s)?

Hello there,

I'm not using X-Plane yet, so I cannot test it on my rig for the app that I'm working on now. But can you guys please explain:

1. Is there a default flight plans location in X-Plane (like a single folder for FSX flight plans in C:\Users\{username}\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files)?

2. I've read somewhere that X-Plane can store flight plans made with FMC in aircraft-specific folders. Is this true? If so, it means that the possibilities are endless depending on different aircraft equipped with FMC. In this case default location will be enough to know for now.

Thank you!

Regards,

Victor Quebec

The default folder is /Output/FMS plans inside the X-Plane 10/11 installation folder.

So it's not a fixed path on every system, but depends on where the user installed X-Plane. Your app either needs an option to let the user point to his/her X-Plane path, or you need to parse the installation path from the file x-plane_install_11.txt or x-plane_install_10.txt in the user's AppData/Local directory.

These files are also present on Linux and Mac installations: https://developer.x-plane.com/article/how-to-programmatically-locate-x-plane-9-or-10/

Edited by mgeiss

What megiess said above about the folder location. Just point your app there.

Within that one folder, I name flight plans generated and exported from the Plan-G flight planner with file names like this, so I know what aircraft they're for.

Current Aero Commander.fms
Current Bell 412.fms
Current DHC-6 Twin Otter.fms
Current Pilatus PC-12.fms

And so on. You could get more sophisticated with file naming schemes by date or route. I don't think X-Plane supports sub-folders under this "/FMS plans" folder, so you have to use the file names to ID the flight plan.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Thank you, guys! That's very helpful indeed. I'll keep in touch if I have more questions, if you don't mind... :)

Regards,

Victor Quebec