Sign in to follow this  
Marenostrum

Tricks to handle NGX descent in thunderstorm?

The NGX tends to be "slippy" during the descend and it is difficult to slow down.
Yesterday I was descending to LEIB during a thunderstorm and the KIAS started to go up and down of 20+ knots.
Also trying to slow down the descent below 1000 fps with the speedbrakes up I was unable to slowdown and the green arrow sometimes took me in the overspeed zone.

Any idea or trick of how o handle the descend in such a situation, assuming that the PMDG is correctly simulating this high speed variation?

How do you do in rw?

The turbulence settings and airspeed fluctuations in thunderstorms are highly exaggerated in Active Sky.  Turn the settings  down significantly to eliminate the ridiculous airspeed spiking.

One would always avoid TS --- steer around them if possible or go to alternate. 

But if one want's to experience TS in sim - one should suffer the consequences or refrain from concern of normal ops/aircraft behavior.

While flying in turbulent air, small short duration variations in airspeed indication are not unusual but what is unusual is in how it is simulated.  Real world, if you saw the airspeed jump 5 kts momentarily that didn't mean the aircraft instantaneously changed airspeed by 5 kts along with all the effects such an impulse would have on flight dynamics.  No, it simply means the pitot  tube caught a wiff of a tubulent pocket of air without the effecting the velocity of the aircraft with respect to an inertial reference.  The simulator platforms have this all wrong, and some of those setting are plus and minus 20g impulses..... something like that would smash you like a bug on the windshield.

Turn down those turbulence and shear settings to 20-30%, and I turn off the enhanced thunderstorm option.  That stuff is for arcade games.

Having said all that, one should always avoid cells.  Problem with Active Sky is that every rain shower is rendered in deep red as if it were a widow maker.  I've seen cumulus with tops below FL220 incorrectly rendered the same as those with tops above FL350 and no where do they manage to make any thunderstorm realistic so we are down to either avoiding a bunch of nonsense or flying through the nonsense.  Another reason to turn those sliders down.

Edited by downscc

Dan Downs KCRP

MOD NOTE:

Please be careful about where you put threads. Found this one on the main forum page, where you select the forum you want (PMDG General, NGX, QOTS, etc).

I have moved it into the proper subforum.

Kyle Rodgers