Sign in to follow this  
SierraHotel

Things I don't understand.................

31 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

Balut is a developing bird embryo that is boiled and eaten from the shell. It originated from and is commonly sold as street food in the Philippines. Often served with beer, balut is popular in Southeast Asian countries, such as Laos, Cambodia, Thailand and Vietnam.

Sounds yummy!

Vic

Hi Vic,

It's truly amazing what "squids on libs" will do for entertainment after a few months under water - I can still remember the little bones crunching even with all the alcohol we consumed that night (late 80's)... Just Google some pix if you want to really lose your appetite - at least for a typical Westerner - never again...

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

20 hours ago, n4gix said:

I'll hold out for Nutella as an alternative to Marmite or Vegemite!

Made from hazlenuts for a delicious, tasty treat... :smile:

Bu2le.png

if there would eb one thing to take onto an island.. I mean, all the palm oil.. must eb great ^^

Victor Roos

I'll give a +1 to Nutella. Had plenty of crepes in France spread with it!  Keep your Marmite, vegemite, and Baluts.  Saw many of the vendors in Olongopo selling them things😨

Here's my favorite, brought back from Sicily and I make it quite often.  Spaghetti al nero di seppia.  Basically squid/cuttlefish ink pasta and sauce.  A good ole bowl-o-black.  Dang!  Is it dinner time yet??

Spagehetti al nero di seppia.JPG

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

11 hours ago, SierraHotel said:

Excuse me!!... Justus Liebig discovered brewer's yeast could be concentrated, bottled and eaten. In 1902 the Marmite Food Company was founded inBurton-on-Trent, Staffordshire, where the raw material was readily available from the town's brewers.😉

P.S. I tried Vegemite........and threw it in the bin 🤢

Yes in 1908 the Sanitarium Health Food Company obtained sole rights to distribute the product in New Zealand and Australia.

The colonies revolted, which prompted them to start making it in Christchurch with added sugar and caramel to make it palatable. This was the start of the Real Marmite and the reason you can't even import the other stuff into NZ.

Vegemite? One of those rare products where even the manufacturer recommends Not Using Too Much of it.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, WingZ said:

making it in Christchurch with added sugar and caramel 

Please stop! Tell me I didn’t just read that. Except I did. Oh dear God...   

• Like 1

Yes but how did you... ?

OK never mind it's halfway between the Marmite place and the Vegemite place.

Must be French, then.😁

1.  I dont desire or need a full understanding of women, but have been working on a series of successful strategies for coexistance, I'll let you know if any of them ever work.

2.  I am American, and have a good, thorough understanding of offside rules in football(soccer), football(ours), and Ice hockey; but still have issues with officials in these sports who apparently do not.

3.  Never had Marmite, or Vegemite; but as a yank, I have trouble understanding why peanut butter is not a universally loved food, so I suppose that's similar to the op's point.

4. I went 64bit as soon as humanly possible, so... yeah.

To tie in with Aviation the ex head of Australia'Civil Aviation Dick Smith  put out Ozymite when the vegemite brand went overseas.

Strange really his concern for the losses to Australian industry when he made his initial money importing foreign electronic components and equipment to undercut the local manafactures successfully killing the industry that among other things invented DME.200x200x728903.jpg.pagespeed.ic.OvfYlZ0h

to be fair he did fly a helicopter solo round the world.

http://rotarywingshow.com/rws-47-dicksmith/

Edited by harrry

Harry Woodrow

21 hours ago, charliearon said:

I'll give a +1 to Nutella. Had plenty of crepes in France spread with it!  Keep your Marmite, vegemite, and Baluts.  Saw many of the vendors in Olongopo selling them things😨

Here's my favorite, brought back from Sicily and I make it quite often.  Spaghetti al nero di seppia.  Basically squid/cuttlefish ink pasta and sauce.  A good ole bowl-o-black.  Dang!  Is it dinner time yet??

Spagehetti al nero di seppia.JPG

Isn't that Klingon gagh?

Dugald Walker

36 minutes ago, dmwalker said:

Isn't that Klingon gagh?

Dang close to it!😱

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Equally nutritious, I'm sure, and the taste is out of this world.

Dugald Walker

2 hours ago, ShawnG said:

3.  Never had Marmite, or Vegemite; but as a yank, I have trouble understanding why peanut butter is not a universally loved food, so I suppose that's similar to the op's point.

The Allergy Police killed the popularity of Peanut Butter, I would say most great american athletes that grew up in low income families from the 70's and 80's have Peanut Butter to thank, it is the best low cost nutrition out there that you can eat on the go. Today's kids aren't allowed to bring it to school anymore.

Edited by Matthew Kane

Matthew Kane

23 hours ago, WingZ said:

[...]to start making it in Christchurch with added sugar and caramel to make it palatable.

giphy-downsized.gif

Agree with what @ErichB said when I first read that!

The offside rule is very simple:

A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:

- interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or
interfering with an opponent by:
- preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
- challenging an opponent for the ball or
- clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or
making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball
*The first point of contact of the 'play' or 'touch' of the ball should be used

or by gaining an advantage by playing the ball or interfering with an opponent when it has:
- rebounded or been deflected off the goalpost, crossbar or an opponent
- been deliberately saved by any opponent

A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball (except from a deliberate save by any opponent) is not considered to have gained an advantage.

A ‘save’ is when a player stops, or attempts to stop, a ball which is going into or very close to the goal with any part of the body except the hands/arms (unless the goalkeeper within the penalty area).

In situations where:

- A player moving from, or standing in, an offside position is in the way of an opponent and interferes with the movement of the opponent towards the ball this is an offside offence if it impacts on the ability of the opponent to play or challenge for the ball; if the player moves into the way of an opponent and impedes the opponent's progress (e.g blocks the opponent) the offence should be penalised under Law 12.
- A player in an offside position is moving towards the ball with the intention of playing the ball and is fouled before playing or attempting to play the ball, or challenging an opponent for the ball, the foul is penalised as it has occurred before the offside offence.
- An offence is committed against a player in an offside position who is already playing or attempting to play the ball, or challenging an opponent for the ball, the offside offence is penalised as it has occurred before the foul challenge.

😵

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

2 hours ago, dmwalker said:

Equally nutritious, I'm sure, and the taste is out of this world.

If you're a Klingon maybe...