Sign in to follow this  
pappinr

I am going to cry

I updated avilsoft to v2, then updated chaseplane to their newest version and noticed fps dropped to around 5. So I thought I would update to v4.3 of P3D (which i had downloaded the other day), and following Matt Davis' video I only updated the client, scenery and contents. Well my fps is terrible (deleted the scenery.cfg as suggested elsewhere) and CYEG now has fantastic mounds everywhere like the airport has sunk 15ft into the earth. Bottom line is that P3D V4 has become unusable and I would really like to get back to the usual 30-70 fps I was used to before all those changes. It is supposed to work but it doesn't. Forgive my ignorance, but after many hours of trying and searching I just have hit a wall. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Oh...I also updated FSUIPC to the latest version as well (v5 I believe). Is this hardware? Software conflicts? Thanks for your input.

Edited by pappinr

Have a great day,

Rob Pappin

Do you run Orbx Vector and/or regional sceneries?  If so, you have to run FTX Central at least once after installing the scenery module to rewrite its changes to the terrain.cfg.  And if you run FTXGlobal you need to reinstall that.

It's never a really good idea to throw a whole bunch of changes in at once, because it becomes a real Sherlock Holmes drill to discern what's causing the problem.

If you don't have a lot of add-ons, it might be a good idea to uninstall everything, then rebuild Rome incrementally rather than all at once.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

And don't forget the AEC airport elevation fixer.  I am not at home to verify the exact location but you can find it in Orbx\Settings

Be sure to look for Airport Elevation Corrections

Robert

\Robert Hamlich/

1 minute ago, w6kd said:

Do you run Orbx Vector and/or regional sceneries?  If so, you have to run FTX Central at least once after installing the scenery module to rewrite its changes to the terrain.cfg.  And if you run FTXGlobal you need to reinstall that.

It's never a really good idea to throw a whole bunch of changes in at once, because it becomes a real Sherlock Holmes drill to discern what's causing the problem.

If you don't have a lot of add-ons, it might be a good idea to uninstall everything, then rebuild Rome incrementally rather than all at once.

Regards

Alright...thanks for the awesome tips. And no, I did not do anything with Orbx and so I will give that a try. So the things I changed were Chaseplane and Avilsoft EFB. And then I update to 4.3. I will follow your advice to update orbx but before a complete reinstall I will try that. Thanks for such a fast reply! I will keep you posted. FYI, I was just running the sim on all the default settings and was getting descent frames and the terrain seemed to fix itself. Oh, I also update Envidir shade to the latest version. And yes, I threw alot at the sim, but now realize that was a bit too much maybe. Thanks again.

Rob

Have a great day,

Rob Pappin

6 minutes ago, Mikelab6 said:

Hi,

I feel your pain ! Did you try to delete the shaders ? 

Mike

I didn't do that, but I tried to update them. Is it best to delete them? Oh so many details just to enjoy flying! Thanks Mikelab6!

Have a great day,

Rob Pappin

If performance issues arise and you reinstall P3D or run repair, reinstall or reconfigure your addons one at a time and start P3D each time to see which addon is causing the sim to degrade in performance.
Also check out the P3D tip and tricks section here: https://www.avsim.com/forums/forum/657-prepar3d-tips-tricks-and-how-tos/

Edited by Bills511
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, HUSSAR said:

And don't forget the AEC airport elevation fixer.  I am not at home to verify the exact location but you can find it in Orbx\Settings

Robert

Doing that right now...running that in Orbx central. Stay tuned. And thank you for the tip. I love this forum community!

Rob

Have a great day,

Rob Pappin

1 minute ago, pappinr said:

Is it best to delete them?

Yes just the Shaders folder but not the Shaders_P4AO folder or the ShadersHLSL.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pappinr said:

I didn't do that, but I tried to update them. Is it best to delete them? Oh so many details just to enjoy flying! Thanks Mikelab6!

Delete all the files in that folder, the sim will creates new files.  The folder is located here: C:\Users\YOURNAME\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Shaders

The sim will be slower as it have to rebuilds the new shaders while flying in new areas, but it will not take so much time. Nothing too loose...

Mike

Edited by Mikelab6

1 hour ago, pappinr said:

deleted the scenery.cfg as suggested elsewhere) and CYEG now has fantastic mounds everywhere like the airport has sunk 15ft into the earth.

One is the result of the other. If you delete the scenery.cfg, then P3D will create a default copy of it. You will lose all addon content that was in there, from altitude correction to complete airports. 

Never delete anything. Move it somewhere else or rename it. Only delete when you are 100% certain that the replacement works. Create a full system image of your computer from time to time, especially before throwing large scale changes at your sim. Then you can always go back to how it was.

Best regards 

• Like 1

LORBY-SI

Wow! Thanks for all the great advice, tips and warnings! I will have to wait until after work to test the performance issue. I truly appreciate you helping me work through this. I love flight simming and I am looking forward to returning to an enjoyable experience. Cheers all!

Have a great day,

Rob Pappin

2 minutes ago, pappinr said:

Wow! Thanks for all the great advice, tips and warnings! I will have to wait until after work to test the performance issue. I truly appreciate you helping me work through this. I love flight simming and I am looking forward to returning to an enjoyable experience. Cheers all!

Rob,

I would say disable all 3rd party add-on's, do some tests with the default sim stuff and start enabling one add-on at a time, this way you can find the culprit of your problems more easily.

All the best,
Simbol

I would reinstall client 

delete shaders 

scenery index files

and P3d cfg 

that does it for me 

• Like 1

Hi everyone...so after doing most of the tweeks you suggested, things seem to be still a bit wonky. I have to run everything on default graphics settings and it works just fine. I only have a gtx 960m and a light processor. It worked at higher graphic settings before but I will just work through more of your ideas to get the sim to work well. Thank you for all your suggestions (I have yet to implement some of them) and I truly appreciate your time in offering your expertise. I was able to fly out of Edmonton on my way to Boston with no trouble. Yes, the graphics could have been better, but at the end of the day I can fly again. Thank you! Cheers! 

Rob

• Upvote 1

Have a great day,

Rob Pappin