Sign in to follow this  
metod

i7 8700k and GTX 1060, GPU at 100% causes stuttering in P3dV4.3

I am at the end of my rope here...

I have a system with i7 8700 running at 4.3 no HT, and a 1060 6GB GPU and in P3dV4.3 I am experiencing massive stuttering. This happens when GPU hits 100%. I use 1024 textures and 1080p resolution. vsync off and limiter to 30 FPS. Settings are in the mid ranges. I constantly get 30 FPS but then when moving or panning around things start to stutter and making things unplayable...the culprit is the GPU. If I lower the autogen settings to sparse things improve a bit, but I didn't think that 1060 would be able to deliver such meager results...

Tried all sorts of tricks with no results.

Tried upgrading and downgrading Nvidia driver...no cigar. P3D is assigned to 4 cores, leaving the first 2 out for system and other apps. CPU is not fully pegged (the assigned cores get up to 95%). 

My thinking is that the CPU is overwhelming the GPU and an upgrade is required...2080ti is out of my price range. I'm thinking more of 1080ti (once the prices drop with the arrival of new cards) or should I wait for the 2070, which would be on the same level but a new card...

Any thoughts on how I can squeeze or adapt settings that wouldn't cause so many stutters and if a new GPU is in order to get things smoothed out.

Kind regards,

Metod

Metod Praprotnik

yeah, a new video card will give additional headroom to perhaps keep your existing settings without banging up against the gpu limit.

If you must live with the hardware you have then you're gonna have to put in the leg work to identify the setting(s) that are maxing you out and then make the sacrifice(s).

In your trouble shooting quest: I'd start with making sure all third party (NCP, NVI, etc) sync and frame limiters are disabled. If you make any changes reboot the puter and then set in game fps to 30 and vsync on and then check what that does for your gpu usage. Note: this is not a "settings" recommendation just a test.

Edited by FunknNasty

I have a setup similar to yours even if my GPU is slightly more powerful than yours: i7 8700K and NVidia GeForce GTX 1070 EVGA with 8GB. 

In the past months I tried a number of settings to "improve" my performance with P3Dv4.3 (4.1 and 4.2 before that)... and finally two months ago settled for... defaults CPU/GPU settings, I now have totally smooth fluid graphics, absolutely no stuttering, beautiful renditions on a large screen with a projector where stutters if existing would be unbearable. I run all high performance aircraft such as PMDG 737, 744, 777, FSLabs A320/319, Majestic Q400 with AS16, REX SkyForce, MCE, all ORBX World + Vectors and more than 60 detailed sceneries such as FlyTampa, FSDT, etc.

My settings:

CPU: default speed with no HT, Turbo Boost: ON, NO AM

Display GPU: no NI, FXAA: OFF, AA: 4MSAA, Texture Anisotropix: x 16, Texture Resolutions: Extra 4096 x 4096, VSync: OFF, Unlimited frames,

World: Level of detail radius: High, Tessilation factor: High, Mesh resolution: 1m, Texture resolution: 7cm, use high resolution terrain textures. scenery complexity: Dense, Autogen draw distance: Medium, Vegetation density: Normal, Autogen building density: Normal, Special effects details and distance: Medium. Water details: Medium, Reflections: All ticked.

Lighting: HDR: Enabled.Dynamic reflections: High, Shadow quality: Medium, Shadow draw distance: High. Casting and receiving: All ticked except particles and no flag.

You might want to start from this level, check it out, and see if your GPU can deliver. 

Edited by Jean-Claude

If you're only driving a 1080p monitor and seeing GPU load at 100%, then the culprit is almost certainly too-aggressive settings, especially AA settings.

One thing I still do, even running a pair of 1080Ti workhorses, is never have dynamic lighting and SSAA on at the same time.  In daytime, I turn DL off, and turn up the AA, at night I turn DL on and dial back the AA (4xMSAA).  Another GPU hitter is AA in conjunction with high-def clouds, especially with lots of layers (more than 3).  You can drop GPU load by using 512x512 cloud textures, for example--clouds are supposed to be fuzzy and ill-defined, anyway.  Applying heavy AA to clouds makes even less sense.

Also, at night it helps with DL on to not use every exterior light the airplane comes with.  On the PMDG 737, for example, you could try just the inboards, or just the outboards with one or no taxi lights.  Each of those light sources adds significantly to the GPU workload, as it has to compute light reflections from all the objects being illuminated by the lights.  Turning off the lights right after takeoff helps at night, too.

Last, shadows add a big load to the GPU as well.  You can tailor what casts/receives shadows, and also reduce the shadow quality to reduce this load.

If you want all the eye candy, a 1060 is not going to answer that call.  But you can compromise on some settings and you should be able to get your GPU load down to where it doesn't keep bumping against the 100% wall, because that will cause stutters just about every time.  A steady-state GPU load below ~70% is what you should shoot for.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Thanks a lot for the tips...I have scaled down a bit the settings and things improved a bit, but still get occasional GPU spikes and this is when the stuttering starts. On the average I get the 75% GPU load at settings that are quite below what you have suggested Jean-Claude.I have scaled down the clouds inn AS to 512 DXT5...don't use DL or HDR, shadows only in the cockpit and reflections on the plane, rest is unticked.

One thing I will try is to go to my XMP profile and ramp it up to 5,2 GhZ, but this makes my rig run a bit too hot for my tasting.

Oh the fiddling :)

• Like 1

Metod Praprotnik

I have ( I think...) identified the culprit. FXAA...dunno why, but after disabling it and a slight overclock to 4,5 smoothed thinds out immensly

Metod Praprotnik

FXAA is not really needed unless you use 4K anyway if I remember correctly. When running FSLabs A320, it is recommended to put it OFF.

I have a 970 I noticed massive performance losses attributed to my GPU pegging at 100% after updating to the latest drivers. I rolled back to 397.64 and all is good again. Would not hurt to clean install and roll back. Not sure I trust Nvidia drivers as of late.  

• Like 1

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

The never ending battle (that users fight) between Prepar3D and Nvidia Drivers... 😞

Edited by Alberto Zanot
  • Upvote 1

On 9/13/2018 at 1:54 AM, metod said:

P3D is assigned to 4 cores, leaving the first 2 out for system and other apps. CPU is not fully pegged (the assigned cores get up to 95%). 

I would recommend NOT doing that, or at least, let me simply say I had stuttering when I did that with my 8700K cpu.

My best results so far are letting P3D use all six (6) cores (I run HT=off), and then assigning add-ons to Cores2-5.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Yeah- found out that too...have HT enabled now...still doesn't improve the GPU pegging. Before I buy another (better) GPU I need to test it out to see if this actually is the culprit for stutters...

Metod Praprotnik

Fixed my problem- updated to the newest nvidia driver, updated the MB drivers and updated the BIOS, now GPU is running solidly at 40% and FPS are stuck at 30fps...what was the culprit- not quite sure as I did too many updates at the same time to attribute the solution to the one fix...I have my suspicion that the video drivers might have done the trick but can't confirm it.

Metod Praprotnik