Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

CM.exe and CPU usage

Maybe about every 4-6 months, I will be flying along with P3D V 3.4 and Windows 7, with everything working normally as usual. Then at some point in the flight, the program starts getting jerky, like sometimes happens when you go into a scenery area where the scenery starts loading and everything hesitates for a second runs, hesitates, runs, etc. When this continues, as it did today,  I will go into task manager, and performance /resource monitor and I will see an entry cm.exe using around 20-25% cpu. This adds to the cpu that P3D is using bringing the peak  total up to almost 100%. I then right click on  cm.exe and stop it from running by selecting "end process". It stops, everything returns to normal, and P3D is smooth as silk again. 

I have Googled this cm.exe  issue, and usually when I search for CM.exe which is what Task manager calls it, Google pops up cmd.exe ( with the d added) which I believe is totally different exe file. I always run Malware, virus scans, etc and have never had any issue with either. For me this is not a big deal since it happens so seldom and is easily remedied, but I am wondering if anyone else has seen this or knows what could be  causing it. I have searched the harddrive for cm.exe and come up with nothing. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

I have seem this process on infected networks, the executable is associated with Trojan.Goldun.G.

Do you have an antivirus solution? I strongly recommend you to run ComboFix on your system and the Kaskpersky free antivirus removal tool.

Regards,

Simbol 

I found this:

Cm.exe installs with a game called CaveMan by Rockland Software. More info can be found at http://www.rocklandsoftware.com/caveman/download.htm.

Most commonly, CM.EXE was a spyware program called "Cellular Manager" by "Carding My Way". This tool assists uses your sound card to initiate audible tones in an attempt to place long distance calls for free. We'd recommend removing both cm.exe and cm.txt.

Cm.exe installs with CDMaid by Radi0shop. CDMaid produces high quality audio files from your CDs. CDMaid is a CDDB-enabled recorder/encoder with plugin-based support for multiple CD rippers and analog recorders, plus a range of encoders in popular formats. This program routes you through http://cdmaid.jumptunes.com/. This may raise spyware concerns so if you don't use this program, you may want to uninstall or remove the file via WinPatrol.

Cm.exe installs with ClassicCMA, a relational database for real estate agents. More info can be found at http://telluridesoftware.com.

There may be other programs with files called cm.exe. 

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

2 hours ago, simbol said:

I have seem this process on infected networks, the executable is associated with Trojan.Goldun.G.

Do you have an antivirus solution? I strongly recommend you to run ComboFix on your system and the Kaskpersky free antivirus removal tool.

Regards,

Simbol 

Yes. have a;ways run antivirus, ( Web Root)  plus Malwarebytes every month or so. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

44 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

I found this:

Cm.exe installs with a game called CaveMan by Rockland Software. More info can be found at http://www.rocklandsoftware.com/caveman/download.htm.

Most commonly, CM.EXE was a spyware program called "Cellular Manager" by "Carding My Way". This tool assists uses your sound card to initiate audible tones in an attempt to place long distance calls for free. We'd recommend removing both cm.exe and cm.txt.

Cm.exe installs with CDMaid by Radi0shop. CDMaid produces high quality audio files from your CDs. CDMaid is a CDDB-enabled recorder/encoder with plugin-based support for multiple CD rippers and analog recorders, plus a range of encoders in popular formats. This program routes you through http://cdmaid.jumptunes.com/. This may raise spyware concerns so if you don't use this program, you may want to uninstall or remove the file via WinPatrol.

Cm.exe installs with ClassicCMA, a relational database for real estate agents. More info can be found at http://telluridesoftware.com.

There may be other programs with files called cm.exe. 

Vic

The problem is, no matter how I try to search my hard drive, I cannot find any cm.exe  file. 

It's possible the process is hidden within another and only executes when the parent process runs. Have you tried right click the cm.exe in the task manager and choose open file location? It should be an option in the context menu.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

1 hour ago, vgbaron said:

It's possible the process is hidden within another and only executes when the parent process runs. Have you tried right click the cm.exe in the task manager and choose open file location? It should be an option in the context menu.

Vic

Will try that the next time it runs.  Thanks..

7 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Yes. have a;ways run antivirus, ( Web Root)  plus Malwarebytes every month or so. 

Those are not inline active protection tools, those are cleaning tools for specific tasks.

They will not provide you with any protection against strong viruses, trojans and zero exploits vulnerabilities.

You cannot find the cm.exe because the trojan is disguising itself as a different file on your disk, I strongly recommend you perform a scan with the Kaskpersky free antivirus removal tool and to enable better protection for your system in the future.

Regards,

Simbol