Sign in to follow this  
himmelhorse

Best WX for P3Dv4?

Hello all,

As I have stated many times now, I am new to P3Dv4 and am currently trying to find the best wx combination for this platform,

I know Active Sky is supposed to be the be all and end all for real world wx generation. It is also the be all and end all for my limited wallet and therefore, whilst worthy of consideration, I wish to explore other avenues.

I believe that REX textures are close to the best cloud textures, if indeed, they are not the best. Also cheaper, but not great at real world wx generation. 

I have not looked at the OPUS system as yet. but I am going to assume that possibly a combination of something like FS Global WX and REX may be a cheaper option and with very little in it in comparison to AS4.

So, at this time, I am looking for some input into this subject but at the same time I am not looking for a product bashing exercise. Just some real information and experiences with all and any WX programmes ... the honest fors and againsts if possible.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

I have used Opus FSI for years now and wouldn't change it for anything, especially as it comes with its own excellent camera system tied into the weather effects.

2mrw7ih.jpg

23lzho0.jpg

2z3ulox.jpg

Edited by GHarrall

Glenn,

I was just looking at this briefly (in fact, your notification disturbed me LOL) If its live wx Generation is good and Textures are at least favourtable and comparable to REX or Active Sky, it could well be the best option. Further research required.

I am guessing, and I stress, guessing that REX has it cons ie Live WX generation. FSGRW appears to have a better Live WX generation than REX but the textures are not as good. I think also, that the ONLY criticism of Active Sky, and this is very personal, is the price.

Are there any others oout there that are worth looking at??  

Thanks mate

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Sorry, I should stress that opus does not come with textures. The textures you see here are all from REX texture direct. 

However, I wouldnt get too hung up on textures as there are some really good free ones here in the avsim library.

If you need a camera addon, the fact that opus comes with a really good one is a bonus and means you don’t need another program running. 

Personally, I think opus and activesky are easily above any other choices in terms of weather generating so its one of those two for me depending on your other needs.

Glenn,

I think you are telling me that you are using REX textures and if so I would be looking at USD60 (OPUS and REX textures) Active sky and Sky Art are approx 70 Euros So in AUD the price difference is not so huge. Which is the better way to go?  Is the sky art at 20 euros a "must have" with ASP4?

Also can you pleasse tell me, which free texture, in your opinion, would be the best combination with OPUS.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

If you're willing to wait awhile, Active Sky goes on sale for 30% off several times a year. If that would put it within your budget, it'd be worth waiting for. 

2 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

I know Active Sky is supposed to be the be all and end all for real world wx generation. It is also the be all and end all for my limited wallet and therefore, whilst worthy of consideration, I wish to explore other avenues.

One thing to keep in mind while choosing your WX program is that if you fly or plan to fly any of the PMDG aircraft, you’ll need AS if you want the WX radar to work in their planes. At some point PMDG says that other WX program may work with their integrated WX radar but it’s been a while and as of now only AS works.

That may or may not be important to you but worth considering as people have posted lots of topic in the PMDG forum asking why the WX radar doesn’t work only to find out they have to have AS.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

1 hour ago, himmelhorse said:

Glenn,

I think you are telling me that you are using REX textures and if so I would be looking at USD60 (OPUS and REX textures) Active sky and Sky Art are approx 70 Euros So in AUD the price difference is not so huge. Which is the better way to go?  Is the sky art at 20 euros a "must have" with ASP4?

Also can you pleasse tell me, which free texture, in your opinion, would be the best combination with OPUS.

Regards

Tony

I can’t speak for sky art as I have not used it. Yes, I use REX texture direct currently. I’m not sure how much of a difference using the new REX SKYFORCE 3D would be as there seems to be differing opinions on this.

as for free textures, these are great and have been updated for p3d. [hde]

https://www.rikoooo.com/downloads/viewdownload/58/847

unless you want a massive set of choices, the supplied textures in this freeware set are very good. 

In terms of a weather engine though, active sky and opus win hands down. 

Textures are just the icing on the cake. 

Edited by GHarrall

Charles and cmpbellsjc,

Thanks for your replies.

Charles, I have to admit that I am a rather impulsive and impatient chappie so waiting for a sale is not really my style, however, Active Sky IS expensive.  Can someone tell me if the Sky Art is going to have to be an integral part of ASP4, because from what I can see, that is the textures part of the programme. I simply do not know and my research so far has not revealed that info.

CMP, I do not have any PMDG aircraft as yet. However the WX radar is not a huge factor in the purchase of any wx programme.  PMDG is also frightfully expensive and I have, at least, in the interim, opted for the iFly 737 and 747. Some will say "not a good choice" but I was familiar with them in FS2004 and that was probably a big influence in my decision. My only other aircraft purchases at this stage have been the RealAir Duke60 turbine (updated to v2) and the Carenado Phenom 300 withj Navigraph extension and the F1 GTN750. ORBX Australia, including their freeware AI Australian traffic is the only scenery purchase. I only fly in Australia and Indonesia at this time so until somebody releases more Australian/NZ and Indonesian scenery I do not anticipate many purchases in that line. 

As a Pensioner, my budget is incredibly small for this hobby and is one of my reasons for confining my self to Australian flying.

Thanks for your help and responses guys.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

Except for more bells and whistles, all the weather injectors do an adequate job and those include ASN, OPUS, REX Sky Force and FSGRW. With OPUS you get included camera control. With FSGRW, you get an add-on that works with both P3d4 and XP11. RSF easily has the best cloud textures. ASN  has the most weather-related knobs to doodle with and its weather transitions are silky smooth. My personal preference is ASN for weather and RSF for cloud textures, but if money is a concern then  either that combo or ASN and ASCA is probably not the best option.

Jay,

Thanks mate.

As you said, a simultaenous purchase of both Active Sky and REX Skyforce is not an option.

As a compromise, what are your thoughts of me buying just REX Skyforce3D initially (it does have live WX engine built in) and then look at Active Sky a little later on. Would your options be reversed ... Opt for the Active Sky first?

I ask this because I am not at all sure what the textures of Active Sky are like and if remotely inadequate, could I install the freeware HDEv2 in conjunction with it as an interim compromise?

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

you can of course just start with active sky and use the default P3D clouds, or use the freeware clouds mentioned or just the soft clouds ( they cost not much). Rex Sky force might have decent clouds, but the weather injection is not seamless (they just pop in). Just sayin', you don't have to have 3rd party clouds right away, either go Active sky or Opus. Actually I dont know if Opus weather changes just pop in or not. 

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

Guys,

Thank you all for your responses.

At this stage I am leaning towards an OPUS/HDEv2 combination.  For the money is there a better option?

regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

Opus, ASN and FSGRW are strictly weather engines. They rely on the default P3d4 cloud structures and textures. As pointed out, ASN has a companion product ASCA, which provides updated clouds. In contrast, Rex Sky  Force is not only a weather engine (albeit neither as detailed nor as mature as ASN) but it also provides IMO , more realistic cloud textures than ASCA. There's no ideal solution that's also inexpensive.

One area where ASN has the others beat is with its in-cloud effect. As the user aircraft flies through the 2.5D cloud sprites, ASN generates a 3D haze effect that virtually disguises the fact that the clouds are made up of 2D sprites (basically a sandwich of textured billboards).

Hi Tony,

In my opinion- and has been of most simmers-, Active Sky (ASP4) is the best choice. Yes, there are several out there but the experience with Active Sky has been superb.