Sign in to follow this  
ms2

Different P3Dv4 versions on the same computer W10

Hello

I have a dream: to install two different versions of P3dv4, on two different disks on the same computer.

One version oriented landclasses as orbx sceneries and a other with "France vfr" + photo-sceneries to avoid conflicts with the hope having best results and best fps for each universe.

What I don't know: with two users accounts + each user owning his personal licence of P3dv4, if this idea is realistic .

thanks for sharing experiences.

Two users with two different licenses should work just fine. One user with two licenses for the same product might be a problem. However one user could have both Academic and Pro installed with different licenses and that should work.

I'm 99 44/100% sure but if not I'm sure someone will post.

Vic

• Like 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Thx Vic for this good advice. I be able now to develop best strategy.

Experienced users are welcomed for sharing knowledges for best ways.

Hi,

you could achieve the same thing with a single license and different sets of add-on.xml files that you activate or deactivate as needed. But setting that up requires a lot of manual labor and attention to every detail, especially with ORBX.

Personally, I am just using swappable drive bays. I am running 7 different Windows systems on the same computer hardware simply by swapping in the required disk. That way I have full authority over what is in those operating systems pertaining to the use case at hand without running the risk of compromising other applications.

You cannot have V4 Academic and Pro on the same OS, they use exactly the same installation paths and config files. But you can install two P3Ds with a single developer license on two different computers.

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI
  • Like 1

LORBY-SI

Hi Lorby

Thx

Actually, I use different sets methods, is a good way. But stay problems of  patterns conflicts in textures.

Indeed this idea of swapping system disk is a very good and nice idea. So shall be able to oriented onesystem to on full version of p3dv4 and one other simplified system directed to a second simplified version of p3dv4 for vfr photoreals flying.

Best regards.

Mark

1 hour ago, Lorby_SI said:

You cannot have V4 Academic and Pro on the same OS, they use exactly the same installation paths and config files. But you can install two P3Ds with a single developer license on two different computers.

Hi Oliver - 

I was wondering about that but if you manually install to different locations wouldn't the registry entries be different?. I believe they reference P3D Academic & Pro separately. Not sure about the Programdata but I recall they did the same.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Yes Oliver's way is the cleanest,  Have different disks \ operating systems and change or boot into the desired operating system.  

4 hours ago, ms2 said:

What I don't know: with two users accounts + each user owning his personal licence of P3dv4

Prepar3D will Install across all User accounts,  If you create another User account you will notice you will have a copy of Prepar3D on your new user account,  You will of course have no generated files at this point but will be created when you launch Prepar3D.  The two user accounts will be linked,  for example if you run the delete generate files command on user account 1,  this will also remove the generate files on user account 2,  When you launch Prepar3D on either user account the generate files will generate on both user accounts.  The same apply's for Add On control panels,  One user account will duplicate the two of them.   So this way is a no go. 

1 hour ago, vgbaron said:

I was wondering about that but if you manually install to different locations wouldn't the registry entries be different?. I believe they reference P3D Academic & Pro separately

As Oliver mentioned all major versions of Prepar3D use the same reg license paths 

This is what you will see when trying to Install v4 Academic with v4 Pro-Plus currently Installed 

test1.PNG

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ms2 said:

But stay problems of  patterns conflicts in textures.

If you use the addon.xml method properly, that will not happen. You don't have to install textures directly into the simulator, you can keep any content out of the sim if you are willing to invest the necessary work. For example, I have the Rex Worldwide Airports texture replacements in a separate folder, and by activating/deactivating an add-on.xml I can simply turn them on or off. Nothing in the simulator folder itself has been changed. But it takes effort to achieve this, you have to trick the various legacy installers or management tools not to compromise your core simulator folders. 

Best regards

• Upvote 1

LORBY-SI

21 minutes ago, Poppet said:

Prepar3D will Install across all User accounts,  If you create another User account you will notice you will have a copy of Prepar3D on your new user account,  You will of course have no generated files at this point but will be created when you launch Prepar3D.  The two user accounts will be linked,  for example if you run the delete generate files command on user account 1,  this will also remove the generate files on user account 2,  When you launch Prepar3D on either user account the generate files will generate on both user accounts.  The same apply's for Add On control panels,  One user account will duplicate the two of them.   So this way is a no go. 

Now that I was completely unaware of! Made an assumption that it was user specific. I shall remember.

Thanx again, Elaine!

Vic

• Like 1

"You cannot have V4 Academic and Pro on the same OS, they use exactly the same installation paths and config files"

Does that also mean I can't have P3Dv3 AND P3Dv4.3 installed on two seperat SSD's, at the same time?

Jorn L

• Upvote 1

Jorn Lundtoft

I don't always stop and look at airplanes.........Oh wait, Yes I do.

Intel I7-13700F, 32GB Fury DDR5 - 6000, Kingston 1TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD, Asus Geforce RTX 4070 TI 12GB, Kingston 2TB M2 NVMe SSD, Corsair 750W PCU, Windows 11

Hello Jorn

You can Install and use any version of v3 and any version of v4 on the same SSD no problem at all

v2, v3 and v4 are described as major versions and you can Install all 3 of these If you like on the same or different SSD  (separate folders of course). 

v3, v3.3 and v3.4 are described as minor versions of v3 and you Can Not Install more then 1 version.  The same apply's for v4 of course

• Upvote 1

Thank you Elaine. The only reason for installing P3Dv3, is that Instant Scenery 3 doesn't work with P3Dv4, so someone mentioned that it's possible to use it in P3Dv3 and create the sceneries in there, and then export the .bgl file to P3Dv4. 

Jorn L

• Like 1

Jorn Lundtoft

I don't always stop and look at airplanes.........Oh wait, Yes I do.

Intel I7-13700F, 32GB Fury DDR5 - 6000, Kingston 1TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD, Asus Geforce RTX 4070 TI 12GB, Kingston 2TB M2 NVMe SSD, Corsair 750W PCU, Windows 11

Hello,

I use a dual boot W10 X64 for a long time. On each system I have : one is the V4 with all my addons , the second system runs V4 default : no addons.

So when I have a CTD on the Full V4 I test the same situation on the Basic V4 and so I see if the CTD is due to an addon ...

I also test W10,  Nvidia, ... updates before installing on the Full V4.

Of course all the W10 updates must be done on all systems... seams a bit complicated but it works

Have a nice day

• Upvote 1

Emile EBBR Z590 Aorus Elite, i9-11900K 3.5Ghz Nvidia RTX 3060, 16 GB Mem, SSD 1Tera + other HDDs, Dual Boot . Win11 Pro X64

@jorn,

I have Instant Scenery 3 and wish I could use it on v4.x but at least SimDirector is a decent replacement.

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2